Just want to know.. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old May 12th, 2003, 08:24 PM   #16
Regular Crew

The only way you can add resolution is to use a 16:9 anamorphic lens adapter. This way the camera will use the full resolution of the CCD chips.

Your server is still down so I couldn't look at the picture.
Akos Szemenyei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2003, 04:30 AM   #17
Major Player

Server ok again!

www.fernbrant.com/andreas/dvinfo.html
Perhaps you could help me with the ghost aura thing..

/Andreas
Andreas Fernbrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2003, 05:01 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Hmm... Looks like it's because of the clipped sun, I think that the cameras ccd chips just cannot handle the contrast ratio between the absolute white and black in a smooth way, so you get a blown out edge compared to the dark subject. If you look at on the right side of your enlarged image it seems to be before the subject is in front of the sun.

More ND is needed I guess. Where is that enlarged image taken from, I saw the glow on the subjects back, but couldn't match it with the enlarged image, also, is it over the whole footage or only in front of to the sun?
Akos Szemenyei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2003, 08:16 AM   #19
Major Player

nice! Very nice! All of it!
Cosmin Rotaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2003, 10:24 AM   #20
Major Player

I loved it

Good work !

It's so easy (and hard) to go back on your work and change something. That can also take away from the shot and make it look to "cookie cutter".

Personally I like to break the rules, and do something that is not common, or even try to do something no one has done.
IMO you accomplished that with a very simple clip.

Also, to be honest, by a complete fluke, I shot the ending to our film we are working on now in a shoot last year. Again by a complete fluke it is very similar to what you have here.

There is no way I could recreate again due to the clouds and the contrast in the sky, position of the sun, and the reflections that day.

So in effect, I like it.
Old May 13th, 2003, 11:06 AM   #21
RED Code Chef

Very nice indeed! I was wondering how you moved the camera?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2003, 11:22 AM   #22
Major Player

Rob, I used a cheap trick I made up in my head..
I never attended any filmschool or anything like that. I just have a genuine interest and use every hour I have to figure out nice and fun stuff. I bet this is a common fact in the film/video industry but as I said, I did't take any classes so I don't know..

What my thought was if I move my tripod as far away as possible and zoom max (instead of zoom in or out I zoom max) and then pull the camera back so I get the frame I want. When I pan way back there it feels more like the camera is gliding along on a dolly. If I move closer to the object and have no zoom it would feel more lite a pan with a tripod. I wanted the glide effect.. This was actually the worst camera operation clip (I have 2-3 more with more fluid camera action) but the vault was best in this clip. I don't know what I choose for the final cut.

/Andreas
Andreas Fernbrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2003, 01:13 PM   #23
Major Player

?wanting to Know

I found your colouration quite delicate for the situation.

Quite interesting.
Old May 13th, 2003, 01:31 PM   #24
Major Player

" When I pan way back there it feels more like the camera is gliding along on a dolly. If I move closer to the object and have no zoom it would feel more lite a pan with a tripod."
Excellent, Andreas. Very perceptive of you to pick up on this.

"This was actually the worst camera operation clip (I have 2-3 more with more fluid camera action) but the vault was best in this clip. I don't know what I choose for the final cut."
This even impresses me more than the above. If you actually made a choice based on performance, you are way ahead of most aspiring directors. A very wise DP told me many years ago, "First the actors, then the camera, then the lights." Burn that in your brain, Andreas, and you will have learned volumes.

If it was easy, they'd get a relative to do it.
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work