Interchangeable mount for Aaton. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Silicon Imaging SI-2K
2/3" 1080p IT-integrated 10-bit digital cinema w/direct-to-disk recording.

Old November 18th, 2007, 06:49 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Interchangeable mount for Aaton.

I was just looking through your list of mounts available and I noticed there wasn't the option of an Aaton mount. Although new Aatons now have PL mounts, there are quite a few older Aatons around with the original mounts and lenses to match. It might be worthwhile having this as an option.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 03:50 AM   #2
Trustee

Adaptors to PL mount are around, that's probably cheaper than a new mount for the camera. There's one such adaptor on eBay at the moment. The other option is to have a lens technician change the mount on the lens.
Just be warned, I had asked about some of those 'classic' lenses sometime ago and it seems although they were great in their day they might come up short compared to modern optics. I'm still wanting to try some though, just for the vintage look.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 04:43 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Unfortunately you can't adapt a PL mount to an Aaton mount. The lenses aren't that old, Aatons still had their own mount until the XTR Prod came out. So, you could have one of the pretty modern Super 16 zooms with an Aaton mount.

People may also have a set of Aaton mounted Contex/Zeiss prime lenses. Unfortunately, you can't change those to PL mount. You can change the Aaton to a PL mount camera, but then you can't use your Contex lenses on the Aaton.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 07:19 AM   #4
Trustee

Sorry I think I was confusing the old Arrie mount lenses. I'm still a bit green when it comes to lens mounts having come from the video world.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 09:46 AM   #5
Trustee

Are you planning on using S16 lenses or standards 16mm lenses?

Thanks,

Jason
Jason Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 11:10 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rodriguez View Post
Are you planning on using S16 lenses or standards 16mm lenses?

Thanks,

Jason
Nothing in the pipe line at the moment, however, being an Aaton LTR owner I noticed the gap in your lens mounts. Certainly anything 16mm these days is Super 16, so I'd say almost all Aatons in commercial use would be using Super 16 lenses.

The Arri Bayonet lenses can be adapted to PL or remounted, but as I mentioned, the modified Contex lenses can't.

It's something that Aaton owners might take into consideration.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K