Digital Oscars! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Silicon Imaging SI-2K
2/3" 1080p IT-integrated 10-bit digital cinema w/direct-to-disk recording.

Old January 22nd, 2009, 08:47 AM   #1
Major Player

Digital Oscars!

Congratulations to Antony Dod Mantle and Silicon Imaging: Slum Dog Millionaire is up for best Cinematography for this year's Oscars. While I know about 40% was shot on 35mm, I think we might see the first Cinematography Oscar for a predominantly digital movie (i.e. not one where the digital was for CGI, post or special effects)

[Congrats also to Claudio Miranda for Benjamin Button, but there's not a Thomson Viper board here :-) ]

I may be wrong, but I don't think there's even been a mainly digital movie nominated before now, this year there are two. Could this be the year that such a film takes the award?

Both films are also up for best picture, also the first time digitally shot films have been nominated for the award.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 01:56 PM   #2
Trustee

Dylan, you are correct.

Although in the past the ASC has recognized digitally acquired films for ASC Achievement Award nominations, the first being "Collateral", and the second "Apocalypto", this year is the first time that the Academy itself has acknowledged films that were primarily digitally acquired. In that sense, it is definitely a historic moment in Academy history.

Thanks,

Jason
Jason Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 02:39 PM   #3
Major Player

Well the ASC awards are polled from all members of the ASC which is a pretty broad church, including a lot of cinematographers who work in TV with experience of HD. However the Oscar nominees are picked by members of the Academy in that field, which in the case of cinematography might skew towards the "old guard". However those prejudices might finally be breaking down as younger cinematographers are inducted.

Anyhow, if either Slumdog or Benjamin Button wins, I think it will be a major boost for digital cinematography, across the board, and will benefit the manufacturers and users of all Digital Cinema cameras.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 07:25 PM   #4
Silicon Imaging

Slumdog Millionaire Wins PGA Prizes

'Slumdog' is top dog at PGAs - Entertainment News, Film News, Media - Variety

From Variety:

“Slumdog Millionaire” nabbed the PGA’s highest honor Saturday night at the guild’s annual black-tie gala at the Hollywood Palladium. Producer Christian Colson picked up the Darryl F. Zanuck Producer of the Year Award as the Mumbai-set drama continued to rack up the awards-season accolades by besting “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,” “The Dark Knight,” “Frost/Nixon” and “Milk.”

“We are excited and delighted by the fact that our film continues to be embraced here in the U.S.,” Colson told the packed ballroom at the end of the two-hour ceremony. “Some could argue that this is the film that shouldn’t even have been made. There were no stars.... The budget was low, but not low enough. It was in Hindi. It was rated R. It wasn’t possible to pitch in 20 words or less.”

The fact that audiences and critics have so embraced the film, Colson added, is a testament to the “genius” of America, where anything is possible.
Ari Presler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 03:45 AM   #5
Regular Crew

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/silicon-i...atography.html
Joseph Kassana is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K