SI-2K Mini laptop choice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K

Silicon Imaging SI-2K
2/3" 1080p IT-integrated 10-bit digital cinema w/direct-to-disk recording.

Old May 3rd, 2009, 08:34 PM   #1
New Boot

SI-2K Mini laptop choice

A few weeks ago I rent my SI-2K cameras for the new wolverine videogame commercial.
The DoP selected 5 cameras to work, one 416, two Eyemo's and my cameras. The Director refuse to work all the SI-2K planned shots because I have the full camera and not only the Mini with a laptop in a backpack like in Slumdog Millionaire. I prepare a backpack with the camera inside and put the Mini sensor in various rigs:
A motorcycle Helmets, a skateboard helmet, a vest with two shoulder mounts, a vest with a chest multi position arm, and a 10 feet pole.
With these rigs the camera movements were really impressive, all the hardware worked great, but at last the Director refuses to use them, he wanted a light laptop.

I start this topic because I want to buy a laptop that can be my second weapon of choice. I want to know the experiences of other SI-2K Mini users with different brands and models of laptops.

My only laptop experience was with a Macbook Pro with bootcamp, it was powerful enough to work but the temperature sometimes corrupts the data, some files had frames with bad pixels. And someone told me that the new models had changed the Gigabit Ethernet card.

All suggestions accepted.
Andronico Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 08:57 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I would check out sager laptops. They have a 12" and a 13" laptop with good specs. I just ordered the 8662 because it is upgradable. They are mainly sold to gamers, but us video editors do well with the big video cards. They are like asus in that they build all their own laptops and are not farmed out to some other company.
Thomas Barthle Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:49 PM   #3
New Boot

Hi Thomas,
I check Sager website and have some pretty impressive laptops, I would love to put my hands on one. I'm still looking for other options, like alienware or HP, but this seems like a very good one.

Thanks.
Old May 6th, 2009, 01:15 PM   #4
Regular Crew

From my understanding, alienware is made from the Clevo barebones kits, which is what the Sagers are made from, at a fraction of the price.
Thomas Barthle Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 06:24 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Would a Panasonic Toughbook make sense? After reading about the trouble keeping the Macbooks cool on Slumdog Millionaire I wonder if a Toughbook would stay cool in India?

~Jay
Jay Morrissette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 07:40 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi

Has anybody tried the Macbooks unibody, they seem to have up to spec NIC - but would like to know for sure.

Thank You
-Kaspar
Kaspar Kallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #7
Major Player

I'm using a portege toshiba m750 12" touch tablet. Internal Solid State Drive.
Works great. Only one buggy thing with the graphics card - it doesn't operate in Bilinear mode unless running in 800 x 600 res. Which is what it has to default to when duplicating the desktop to my 7" touchscreen monitor.

Hex mode works perfect. Edge detect requires bilinear mode or will freeze the preview monitor from any keyboard controls.

Purchased 4 spare batteries, and gives 1.5-3 hours depending on how you're using the laptop.

FrameDiscreet.com transfers // cinematography

Justin
Justin Lovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2009, 01:29 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andronico Gonzalez View Post
Hi Thomas,
I check Sager website and have some pretty impressive laptops, I would love to put my hands on one. I'm still looking for other options, like alienware or HP, but this seems like a very good one.

Thanks.
Hi Andronico, have you had a chance to check Sager or any other powerful laptops?

Look here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/silicon-...l-pro-nic.html
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K