ZOOM H4n as USB mixer into SI2K. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Silicon Imaging SI-2K
2/3" 1080p IT-integrated 10-bit digital cinema w/direct-to-disk recording.

Old April 27th, 2010, 08:45 AM   #1
Inner Circle

ZOOM H4n as USB mixer into SI2K.

Has anyone done this yet?
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 06:24 PM   #2
Trustee

I looked at Zoom initially, but balked because they do not publish tech specs.

People on other forums say that's because Zoom manufacturer is changing his parts suppliers periodically, which leads to variation in tech specs as a result, so they don't publish them.

In any case, looks like a low-end device - wouldn't it be better to feed SI2K a quality sound? Especially since we already have quality picture - thanks Ari :)

I tried a ton of different options, and ended up with Sound Devices USBpre. Powered by USB bus itself, so no batteries to worry about. Gorgeous sound. Published specs :)

I like!

Of course it does not have built-in mics like Zoom, but you said you were looking for a mixer so I'm assuming you already have your mics lined up...
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 09:12 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Alex.

This one is a slightly unique situation, a 3D surf shoot in Bali which is basically being shot ute with wild ambience tracks. The SI2K pair is the shoreline 3D camera with the long lenses. They are apparently going to use PL-Mount Angeniuex Optimos in the ballpark 28mm - 290mm or thereabouts.

I am a bit cheap. I have use a Sigma 50mm - 500mm for my 2D ground-to-airs.

Offtopic - Long Lens work - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVHX0kJxGjU

The H4n is basically to provide an ambience reference track for each shot which I guess could go in via the normal analogue route. The soundie is travelling light so he can check in some of the heavier camera gear in his baggae allowance.

The soundie was asking if we could go in via USB, not sure why except maybe it seems a cool thing to do.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 11:13 PM   #4
Major Player

I had the earlier version Zoom H4 which I used as the audio input for my Mac Book Pro/SI Mini before I got the full SI body. Worked fine for this.

When I got the full body I tried to use the Zoom and couldn't get the SI-2K to recognize the USB Zoom. You apparently need to install some USB audio drivers which I never found (the Zoom has since died so have given up and use the XLR inputs)

The Sound Devices USBpre ships with a driver CD and can be used with the SI-2K so I've been told - I haven't tried this.
Rohan Dadswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 11:18 PM   #5
Trustee

USBpre surely works great with SI2K mini's SiliconDVR - I use it frequently that way..
Old May 13th, 2010, 06:17 PM   #6
Trustee

...and now I'm selling USBpre here in the classifieds... thanks for looking.
Old May 24th, 2010, 06:46 PM   #7
Trustee

For truly run-and-gun, super light, high quality audio input, I have recently discovered:

CEntrance Micro Port Pro. Now, you'll love this one - NO drivers needed. USB-powered. A steal at $150, as its sound quality is very high, compares favorably with USBpre, IMHO.

Provides 48V phantom, too.

Built-in quality phone amp.

Seriously, that little bugger needs to be Emmy nominated :)
Old September 16th, 2010, 07:13 PM   #8
Major Player

I'm using the h4n zoom and its working great!

Little cumbersome, not as slick as having pots and dials at your fingertips, but for doc interviews etc, it is a nice little unit to have. It mounts with a little noga arm easily to any handheld rig.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K