SI2K Mini: VIEWFINDER? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Silicon Imaging SI-2K
2/3" 1080p IT-integrated 10-bit digital cinema w/direct-to-disk recording.

Old November 26th, 2010, 11:21 PM   #1
Trustee

SI2K Mini: VIEWFINDER?

OK folks, as of November 2010: what can be used as high-resolution, critical focus-suitable Viewfinder for Si-2K Mini?

Is there an optical one that does not destroy the image quality?

What about miniature 3" or so, high pixel density HDMI displays - similar to the stock one used on Canon 7D, but standalone?
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 11:30 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Alex.

Is the P+S IMS prism-split optical viewfinder B4-Mount only or does it come as PL-Mount as well?

It will be a gold-plated price but as far as I know it may exist.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 11:38 PM   #3
Trustee

It would appear that the back element of PL lenses sits very close to the sensor, so IMHO it's unlikely that any optical viewfinder would exist.

Of course I do use PL lenses exclusively, so I guess a miniature 3" high resolution, high density display looks like the only option here.

Ideas?..
Old November 27th, 2010, 12:11 AM   #4
Major Player

Both Zacuto and Redrock Micro have announced HDMI viewfinders - primarily to be used with DSLRs but I assume that they would work with any HDMI input. If they actually exist or are just on the drawing board I don't know.

Silicon Imaging/P+S make a VGA viewfinder that I used with the Mini. I think the resolution is about the same as the announced HDMI ones.
Old November 27th, 2010, 12:27 AM   #5
Trustee

Frankly, I'm not really impressed* even with 7D's viewfinder - and they say it's 920,000 pixel one...

Zacuto's will be 800x480=384,000 pixel only, 3x lower than 7D's - forget it...

Ideally what we need is some 3" HDMI display with even higher pixel density than 7D's...

-------------------
* - because I see too much of the dots when using it with the loupe. Although it appears to be much better than, say, my laptop's display.
Old November 27th, 2010, 10:38 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi

1. The optical EVF offered by PS is only for B4, and if memory serves correct 1/3 light loss.
2. The math on EVF calcualtion is wrong, if you get 800x480 but with 3x as it is RGB so the correct total is 800x3x480=1.152.000
3. I have the PS technik VGA one and this is really poor option. It is utterly usless for any kind of critical focus + ground loop in the design, so be very careful how You power it.

I really would likt test the redrock version but have to wait up untill they start to ship.

Thank You
-Kaspar
Kaspar Kallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2010, 03:07 PM   #7
Trustee

Kaspar - I think you are correct on the pixel count. So then, in fact, RR/Z's viewfinders should be at least as good as stock 7D's one.

Do you think Zacuto's version has any advantage? Or is it the usual "brand" surcharge, since there's 1.5x difference?
Old November 27th, 2010, 03:30 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Raskin View Post
It would appear that the back element of PL lenses sits very close to the sensor, so IMHO it's unlikely that any optical viewfinder would exist.
Remember that the C mount reflex Bolex has a similar viewfinder and PL mount 16mm lenses have to allow the clearance of a rotating mirror shutter, which takes up quite a lot of space.

A B4 mount is rather strange for a single sensor, perhaps the V/F prism has the same optical effect as the block in a 3 chip camera?
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2010, 10:41 AM   #9
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Raskin View Post
Frankly, I'm not really impressed* even with 7D's viewfinder - and they say it's 920,000 pixel one...

Zacuto's will be 800x480=384,000 pixel only, 3x lower than 7D's - forget it...

Ideally what we need is some 3" HDMI display with even higher pixel density than 7D's...

-------------------
* - because I see too much of the dots when using it with the loupe. Although it appears to be much better than, say, my laptop's display.
Alex,
It's not quite that simple. The 7D has a 4:3 monitor and when the image is displayed it is further reduced with black bars so it's effective size is tiny. Our EVF monitor is very close to 16x9 and we are using all of the image area, plus the dot pitch is tighter. Actually, we are using even more of the image area because we allow the pillerboxing that the 7D does to be enlarged off the sides much like the small HD monitor. That is a huge difference. You reach a point where you just don't need more resolution. When I look at the EVF, it's not pixelated and has a really tight grain structure. I think you need to view it before making a judgement on it.

Steve
Steve Weiss is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K