DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Silicon Imaging SI-2K (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/silicon-imaging-si-2k/)
-   -   Name the Camera! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/silicon-imaging-si-2k/67906-name-camera.html)

Chris Hurd May 24th, 2006 12:20 AM

Quote:

Chameleon
Is that what you've settled on, Ari? Congratulations if so!

Wayne Morellini May 24th, 2006 12:39 AM

But they might not be able to see it against the coloured back ground, unless you are trying to say the camera will be available in many configurable forms.

Ari Presler May 24th, 2006 10:44 AM

Eve

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Morellini
But they might not be able to see it against the coloured back ground, unless you are trying to say the camera will be available in many configurable forms.

I am still thinking about Steve Parker's mantra:

The Eve camera. Eve. Eve camera. Keep saying it. Eve camera. Eve. Doesn't it sound good?

EVE - The Evolution has just begun!
===========================

E Cinema
V ariable frame rate
E ncode to disk Camera

E volutionary
V ideo-to-disk
E Cinema Camera

We can keep "Chameleon" for the next model !

Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?

Glenn Davidson May 24th, 2006 11:04 AM

My opinion...

If you have to give the camera a name, try to pick something that is not silly or embarrassing to say to a client.

FX1...HVX...H1...XL2...those sound good.

Name it 'Chameleon' or 'Eve' ...I'm turning RED.

Ari Presler May 24th, 2006 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glenn Davidson
My opinion...

If you have to give the camera a name, try to pick something that is not silly or embarrassing to say to a client.

FX1...HVX...H1...XL2...those sound good.

Name it 'Chameleon' or 'Eve' ...I'm turning RED.

No Problem....

How do you like HDVR or D3 (D-cinema Direct to Disk)?

(If you like colors...go with BLUE ;-) !

Lorinda Norton May 24th, 2006 12:23 PM

From the very back row of the peanut gallery:

I've been reading, watching video posted in this forum, etc. I like your name, your vision and enthusiasm, and it looks like this whole deal perhaps started with you. (?)

What about something like Presler D3. A few people I know from the film world have complained about all those letters and numbers on digital cameras. They remember names.

I'm sure it's been said: Given your first name and the flexibility of this camera, it's a shame Ar(r)iflex is taken! :)

John McManimie May 24th, 2006 01:32 PM

Who doesn't think the "Thomson Viper FilmStream Camera" is impressive just from the name, without even seeing the specs?
Shouldn’t a name stand out and tell people that your camera is more impressive than the competition?

Vanguard - "The foremost or leading position in a trend or movement", "Those occupying a foremost position":
"The entire movie was shot with Silicon Imaging's Vanguard 1080P Wavelet Camera!"

Peerless - "Being such as to have no match; incomparable", "eminent beyond or above comparison"
"Your Canon XL-H1 sucks compared to the Peerless."

Boss - "First-rate; topnotch." :-)
"I really don't think that we can match the footage from your Sony Z1U to the stuff I shot with my new BOSS 1080P!"

Pioneer - "One who ventures into unknown or unclaimed territory to settle.", "One who opens up new areas of thought, research, or development"
"Shannon Rawls just sold his XL-H1 to upgrade to the Pioneer! How come he always gets these cameras first?"

Sovereign - "One that exercises supreme, permanent authority"
"Is it true that George Lucas is now using the Sovereign Wavelet-Cam for Star Wars XII?"

Monarch - "A sole and absolute ruler"
"Did you hear? The new Monarch Wavelet Camera from Silicon Imaging is being used on the set of 24!"

Of course, you could always just call it the SI-1080P...
"Batman Returns Again is reportedly being shot with the new SI-1080P!"

Truth be told, my blood sugar is low and I need to eat before I type something ridiculous (uh oh)... ;-)

Mark Donnell May 24th, 2006 02:02 PM

I think that this deserves some serious thought. Here are two ideas : UniCam-HD1 (referring to the one-chip design), Apex-HD1 (meaning the top point, or indirectly, the best of the group)

Marco Leavitt May 24th, 2006 02:06 PM

Whatever the name turns out to be, I think it should have the word cinema or something reflecting that. The name should really give an indication of what the machine is for.

Digital Cinema 1920
Digi-Cin 1920
Cine-Go 1920
Cinema Now 1920

Something like that. Just an opinion.

Joff B. Rein May 24th, 2006 04:56 PM

- SI-basic -

Wayne Morellini May 24th, 2006 10:12 PM

Ari,

It has to be something that means something to the buyers of the camera, the Indie market, or as Glen suggested, a model number, but something that strikes the indie customer base rather then FX1 etc. Nothing drab, or glib or embarrassing (as Glen also pointed out) though. At $20K you are not going to get the opinion of too many of the sort of buyers you are looking for in a DV forum.

For example, "FILM1" Digital Cinema Camera, would sound better then "FX1" Digital Cinema Camera. I know it looks old and stodgy, with big diffused silver, medium gaged slanted text, "FILM1" written on the side of the camera, but it means something, the first in Film, or the first camera etc. This is only an example, I am sure you might be able to find something much better (another thing is make it like music, with a bit of flow, rolls off the tongue, not too noisy all over like "CineTech FILM1" would be, two words don't go together, to many peaks in written form, but orally it is still "c-ine t-e-ch film One" sharp sound peaks followed by flowing sound, disrupts the flow into "film one", and to many parts of speech in the name.

Johns suggestion is good for Asian oriented product markets, as they seem to do company names like Monarch, over there. I think the Viper Filmstream has appeal, because it has "Filmstream" in it, and secondary "Viper" sounds mildly aggressive, contrasting too.

Forrest Schultz May 26th, 2006 09:01 PM

"El Diablo"

i rest my case

Steve Parker May 27th, 2006 04:59 AM

Eve-cliffe, come back to me Eve-cliffe

You like Eve. Eve is good. Eve is your friend. You like Eve.

Actually, I'm not fussed what you call it, but could you make your mind up by next Friday because that's when I go to press with the second US edition of Showreel?

All the best

Steve

Mathieu Ghekiere May 27th, 2006 08:25 AM

I second for simply the "Silicon" Cam...

Wayne Morellini May 27th, 2006 08:30 AM

Yeah, call it "Show Real" he just said he's not fussed what you call it ;) .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Parker
You like Eve. Eve is good. Eve is your friend. You like Eve.

Actually, I'm not fussed what you call it, but could you make your mind up by next Friday because that's when I go to press with the second US edition of Showreel?

All the best

Steve