DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Silicon Imaging SI-2K (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/silicon-imaging-si-2k/)
-   -   Name the Camera! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/silicon-imaging-si-2k/67906-name-camera.html)

Ari Presler May 22nd, 2006 01:08 AM

Name the Camera!

We have heard several requests to give the camera a name rather than just the SI-1920HDVR. Please post your suggestions...

Serge Victorovich May 22nd, 2006 02:14 AM

GOLEM bגולם
The Golem is a very popular figure in Jewish folklore and legend. The Golem is created by use of mystical powers that are to be found in the Kabbalistic lore.

Mike Marriage May 22nd, 2006 02:32 AM

I like SICam

Yasser Kassana May 22nd, 2006 05:30 AM

Just 'Silicon' - The Real Thing.

Serge Victorovich May 22nd, 2006 05:49 AM

New idea...
ModCam - Modular Camera
And if you thinking ahead and want to catch attention of Lucas and Cameron just add 3D and get ModCam3D :)

Mike Marriage May 22nd, 2006 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serge Victorovich
And if you thinking ahead and want to catch attention of Lucas and Cameron just add 3D and get ModCam3D :)

Or from SICam, you can develop the "BICam"

Or just call it Jeff.

Ari Presler May 22nd, 2006 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serge Victorovich
New idea...
ModCam - Modular Camera

ModCam is too generic.

I like the idea of focusing on the value points to help conjure up the name.

Digital Cinema
Flexible Color Rendition
Wide Exposure latitude
Dynamic Range
Film look
Digital Negative
Innovative Workflow
Direct-to-Disk Recording
Networking/IT connectivity

Ari Presler May 22nd, 2006 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Marriage
Or from SICam, you can develop the "BICam"

or even more descriptive: Buy2Cam

BTW....the 3D expert(s) (no name dropping) are salivating over our 42mm IOD (Code name: MicroEve) camera model. It should be the worlds smallest 2/3" D-Cinema 3D camera for 3D use (another stake in the ground for SI). All I can say is it will be compatible with our SI-1920HDVR and Cineform RAW workflow.

Can anyone tell me why the 3-D community would be so excited about our little camera?

Philip Williams May 22nd, 2006 09:54 AM

CineFlex

Dynarange

FlexCam

DynaCam

Dynamic

Innovation

Ok, I actually like the sound of "Innovation". Who wouldn't want the "Innovation" cam?

And finally:
Ican'taffordO'cam

www.philipwilliams.com

Steve Parker May 22nd, 2006 10:27 AM

All about Eve

Hi Ari

In one of your emails to me, you wrote: "I appreciate you taking the time to visit with us and hear about the birth of Eve, our new SI-1920HDVR digital cinema camera."

I understand now that it was just a product codename, but I've subsequently gone to print with a 1500 word article entitled "All about Eve".

So could I suggest… Eve. That's a great name. Original. Feminine. Yet defiant. Prepared to take the odd risk with the old diet. The Eve camera. Eve. Eve camera. Keep saying it. Eve camera. Eve. Doesn't it sound good?

Eve.

All the best

St(eve) Parker
Editor, Showreel magazine

Lior Molcho May 22nd, 2006 10:37 AM

I second the naming of the camera after a female name
back in film school, we used to name the camera's, the newest was named "ingrid" after ingrid bergman...

Greg Boston May 22nd, 2006 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Parker
Hi Ari

In one of your emails to me, you wrote: "I appreciate you taking the time to visit with us and hear about the birth of Eve, our new SI-1920HDVR digital cinema camera."

I understand now that it was just a product codename, but I've subsequently gone to print with a 1500 word article entitled "All about Eve".

So could I suggest… Eve. That's a great name. Original. Feminine. Yet defiant. Prepared to take the odd risk with the old diet. The Eve camera. Eve. Eve camera. Keep saying it. Eve camera. Eve. Doesn't it sound good?

Eve.

All the best

St(eve) Parker
Editor, Showreel magazine

I like that idea, Steve. And in true 'Eve' form, this camera will take a big bite out of the 'apple' that is the current industry standard for cameras. Hmmmm, many possibilities there.

How about, the "EVE-RE1". A camera for 'everyone'

-gb-

Eric Gorski May 22nd, 2006 01:03 PM

how about 'revolution'? nintendo won't be needing that name anymore...

Ari Presler May 22nd, 2006 01:35 PM

All About Eve

Steve,

lol!

We have been using the EVE name internally for almost 2-years!

1.) The EVE was created to be defiant with the pre-creation models called Origin and Genesis. The Eve posses human qualities and beauty. It is the first of its kind and from which all future forms will spring.

2.) The Eve was named after my favorite and only daughter; EVE.

The question is are you going to shoot your next film with an EVE?

Ari

Mike Tesh May 22nd, 2006 03:00 PM

Origin and Genesis sound cool. Eve doesn't. A camera shouldn't sound like a females name. It should sound like the name of a transformer robot or something cybertech and cool. Think cyberpunk, think pulse rifle, think T1000.

Nothing against the name Eve in general. My sons name is Gabriel but I wouldn't name a camera that. If I started telling people on location the name of the camera was called "Eve" I would feel stupid. Just like if I used an Apple "Lisa". Another horrible name for a high tech electronic product that failed.

Brian Drysdale May 22nd, 2006 03:41 PM

On this roll how about EvImage. I was going to do it as Evimage, but that seemed a bit more quirky

Eve
Evolution

Steve Parker May 22nd, 2006 11:14 PM

Yes, I'd eat one of Eve's apple pies

Yes, my last posting was far too long, but I still like Eve.

Gary McClurg May 22nd, 2006 11:32 PM

I like the name Eve... or the non-red... that's ready for the market... sorry just my warped since of humor...

Just got to think of a postive way to spend it...

I have a feel ideas but then were not suppose to talk about some subjects... the p & r words... so don't want to get into trouble... just kidding...

Glenn Davidson May 22nd, 2006 11:35 PM

"VISION" (lengthening my message, to post.)

Eric Brown May 22nd, 2006 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ari Presler
ModCam is too generic.

I like the idea of focusing on the value points to help conjure up the name.

Digital Cinema
Flexible Color Rendition
Wide Exposure latitude
Dynamic Range
Film look
Digital Negative
Innovative Workflow
Direct-to-Disk Recording
Networking/IT connectivity

Okay, a little obvious but fitting:

"Synergy", "SynerCam" or "SI-NRG"

syn·er·gy
The interaction of two or more agents or forces so that their combined effect is greater than the sum of their individual effects.
Cooperative interaction among groups, especially among the acquired subsidiaries or merged parts of a corporation, that creates an enhanced combined effect.

There's many things Ari says the camera is, many elements that come together to produce a greater whole.
Yeah, it's kind of corny but...maybe???

Robin Davies-Rollinson May 23rd, 2006 12:19 AM

"MULTICA" (signifying it's multi- options.)

- well, you can't have Multicam, and Fiat have got a Multipla...

Robin

Denise Haskew May 23rd, 2006 04:40 AM

Evolving technology

How about the Darwin?

Might not go down so well with the technology for worship crowd. But what about something for us evolutionists!

Best

Denise

Mike Marriage May 23rd, 2006 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Brown
Okay, a little obvious but fitting:

"Synergy", "SynerCam" or "SI-NRG"...

I think Eric is onto something... maybe "SInergy"

Next up will be the logo competition...lol

Yasser Kassana May 23rd, 2006 06:37 AM

How about, HAL1080 or Silicon-beyond definition.

Joe Carney May 23rd, 2006 11:52 AM

synergy...si nrg....

sounds like one of those energy drinks that are poping up everywhere.

Wayne Morellini May 23rd, 2006 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Marriage
I like SICam

Sigh! ;)

If it was half the price I would name it "Pink" just to have a dig at some other company.

Realistically, be careful, as the choice of name could double sales.

"Envision", is taken I think, but "CineTech Ultrasens" is nice etc.

K. Forman May 23rd, 2006 11:14 PM

Photo
Lectronic
Artistic
Imaging
Device

You got it... PLAID!

Bob Grant May 23rd, 2006 11:21 PM

Things like 'Genesis' are plain silly, what'll they call the next model, 'Exodus'?

My vote is for SI5, as in SciFive, at least then they can call the next one SI6, although the Kiwis might have an issue with that :)

Glenn Davidson May 23rd, 2006 11:58 PM

The "you won't believe it's not a Film Camera, Camera"

Ari Presler May 24th, 2006 12:06 AM

Chameleon
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Main Entry: cha·me·leon
Pronunciation: k&-'mEl-y&n
Function: Noun, The Silicon Imaging Digital Cinema Camera
Traits: independently movable eyeballs and unusual ability to change its colors in post.

Chris Hurd May 24th, 2006 12:20 AM

Quote:

Chameleon
Is that what you've settled on, Ari? Congratulations if so!

Wayne Morellini May 24th, 2006 12:39 AM

But they might not be able to see it against the coloured back ground, unless you are trying to say the camera will be available in many configurable forms.

Ari Presler May 24th, 2006 10:44 AM

Eve

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Morellini
But they might not be able to see it against the coloured back ground, unless you are trying to say the camera will be available in many configurable forms.

I am still thinking about Steve Parker's mantra:

The Eve camera. Eve. Eve camera. Keep saying it. Eve camera. Eve. Doesn't it sound good?

EVE - The Evolution has just begun!
===========================

E Cinema
V ariable frame rate
E ncode to disk Camera

E volutionary
V ideo-to-disk
E Cinema Camera

We can keep "Chameleon" for the next model !

Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?

Glenn Davidson May 24th, 2006 11:04 AM

My opinion...

If you have to give the camera a name, try to pick something that is not silly or embarrassing to say to a client.

FX1...HVX...H1...XL2...those sound good.

Name it 'Chameleon' or 'Eve' ...I'm turning RED.

Ari Presler May 24th, 2006 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glenn Davidson
My opinion...

If you have to give the camera a name, try to pick something that is not silly or embarrassing to say to a client.

FX1...HVX...H1...XL2...those sound good.

Name it 'Chameleon' or 'Eve' ...I'm turning RED.

No Problem....

How do you like HDVR or D3 (D-cinema Direct to Disk)?

(If you like colors...go with BLUE ;-) !

Lorinda Norton May 24th, 2006 12:23 PM

From the very back row of the peanut gallery:

I've been reading, watching video posted in this forum, etc. I like your name, your vision and enthusiasm, and it looks like this whole deal perhaps started with you. (?)

What about something like Presler D3. A few people I know from the film world have complained about all those letters and numbers on digital cameras. They remember names.

I'm sure it's been said: Given your first name and the flexibility of this camera, it's a shame Ar(r)iflex is taken! :)

John McManimie May 24th, 2006 01:32 PM

Who doesn't think the "Thomson Viper FilmStream Camera" is impressive just from the name, without even seeing the specs?
Shouldn’t a name stand out and tell people that your camera is more impressive than the competition?

Vanguard - "The foremost or leading position in a trend or movement", "Those occupying a foremost position":
"The entire movie was shot with Silicon Imaging's Vanguard 1080P Wavelet Camera!"

Peerless - "Being such as to have no match; incomparable", "eminent beyond or above comparison"
"Your Canon XL-H1 sucks compared to the Peerless."

Boss - "First-rate; topnotch." :-)
"I really don't think that we can match the footage from your Sony Z1U to the stuff I shot with my new BOSS 1080P!"

Pioneer - "One who ventures into unknown or unclaimed territory to settle.", "One who opens up new areas of thought, research, or development"
"Shannon Rawls just sold his XL-H1 to upgrade to the Pioneer! How come he always gets these cameras first?"

Sovereign - "One that exercises supreme, permanent authority"
"Is it true that George Lucas is now using the Sovereign Wavelet-Cam for Star Wars XII?"

Monarch - "A sole and absolute ruler"
"Did you hear? The new Monarch Wavelet Camera from Silicon Imaging is being used on the set of 24!"

Of course, you could always just call it the SI-1080P...
"Batman Returns Again is reportedly being shot with the new SI-1080P!"

Truth be told, my blood sugar is low and I need to eat before I type something ridiculous (uh oh)... ;-)

Mark Donnell May 24th, 2006 02:02 PM

I think that this deserves some serious thought. Here are two ideas : UniCam-HD1 (referring to the one-chip design), Apex-HD1 (meaning the top point, or indirectly, the best of the group)

Marco Leavitt May 24th, 2006 02:06 PM

Whatever the name turns out to be, I think it should have the word cinema or something reflecting that. The name should really give an indication of what the machine is for.

Digital Cinema 1920
Digi-Cin 1920
Cine-Go 1920
Cinema Now 1920

Something like that. Just an opinion.

Joff B. Rein May 24th, 2006 04:56 PM

- SI-basic -