Footage posted from Spoon - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K

Silicon Imaging SI-2K
2/3" 1080p IT-integrated 10-bit digital cinema w/direct-to-disk recording.

Old June 5th, 2006, 08:01 AM   #16
Trustee

Working with the Cineform RAW footage is completely transparent to the end user. In fact, you can mix/match in real-time Cineform RAW with the current Cineform codecs, meaning anything digitizied via HD-SDI or HDV sources. So for instance, you could do a real-time dissolve with Cineform RAW material and something from an F900, etc. As the end user the footage all acts the same way. The Cineform RAW footage though has a special control panel that allows you to modify the RAW data settings and how the RAW files are interpreted if you choose to tinker at a lower level.
Jason Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 10:04 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Ari / Jason/ Francois,

Is it possible to get a minute of your camera footage to test it for a film transfer. I intend to shoot a feature in August and testing z1 to shoot it. But I would defenetely wait for your camera if it delivers.
Old June 5th, 2006, 10:06 AM   #18
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

"In fact, you can mix/match in real-time Cineform RAW with the current Cineform codecs, meaning anything digitizied via HD-SDI or HDV sources."

does this mean you have to convert the HD/HDV to cineform files or you could just mix captured HDV and HD ( from cinealta captured say thru decklink HD uncompressed) ?

i know non raw cineform clips will play in other apps - but i'm not clear if cineform RAW will play in those other apps ...IE: 10bit 1920x1080 24p cineform clips will playback in Vegas and other apps at 8bit if you have the cineform codec (free reader) installed ... or is RAW cineform clips confined to PP and AE for the moment?
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 03:48 PM   #19
Trustee

Once we get quicktime, you'll be able to take the Cineform RAW files anywhere. The current AVI files are limited to Prospect HD, which means After Effects and Premiere Pro only.

When I was saying HDV/HD-SDI sources, I was talking about footage digitized through AspectHD/ProsepectHD/PremierePro.

So for instance, HD-SDI footage shot by someone and digitized into a Prospect HD suite will work in realtime with Cineform RAW data.

Aspect HD footage (via HDV stuff) will mix and match nicely with Cineform RAW footage.

Of course you need Prospect HD to edit Cineform RAW, but the point is that with Cineform RAW you have a very nice workflow that can work with other sources of media, so you're not just locked to one codec, having to render from Cineform RAW into another codec just to edit in real-time with other sources. You can mix/match sources in real-time on the same timeline.
Old June 5th, 2006, 08:52 PM   #20
Regular Crew

This is a little off the topic but what the heck. What's the future possibilities of a Final Cut Studio workflow running through an apple system?
Nathan Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 09:55 PM   #21
Silicon Imaging

Final Cut Integration

We have currently porting the CineForm codec to Quicktime for Mac and PC operations. Initialially the codec will be optimized for the Intel Mac (CineForm component are already heavy optimized for Intel parts) have G5 binaries should be made available for compatibility with old Macs. The camera files can be transfer via EtherNet or the drive directly mounted via USB2. These files will playback within any QuickTime application. The CineForm RAW MOV files will operate within Final Cut Pro just like any other third party codec. You can use you compete your post/color work just the same as if you where using BitJazz or another codec. The workflow is going to be pretty seemless. There are some new features for FCP, such as post-manipulation of the color matrices for the decoded data -- integration into FCP has yet to be determined.
Ari Presler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 11:24 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ferdinand
Also, I love your idea of using RAW, although I hope using it PP2 will be totally transparent, ie, just like any other format. Although I'm a PP1.5 user so maybe Vegas people won't fancy the idea.
So Vegas is a no go? Can I ask why? And any future plans to make this happen?

I'd have a hard time leaving the bright lights of Vegas...
Steve Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 05:55 AM   #23
Trustee

I think the Quicktime's will work fine in Vegas . . . the AVI's right now don't because you need Prospect HD which only works in the Adobe apps.
Old June 6th, 2006, 06:04 AM   #24
Trustee

Sadly at this stage Vegas has no support for a 10 bit pipeline, that has many impacts and the SI camera is not the least of them.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 06:07 AM   #25
Trustee

Oh . . . that's a biggie . . . no 10-bit support??

Well then, I'm sorry, without that, you're not going to be able to take advantage of the camera's capabilties.

10-bit or deep pixel support is a must-have item . . .
Old June 6th, 2006, 09:18 AM   #26
CTO, CineForm Inc.

I've been missing this thread. Hi guys. Yes, RAW processing really requires a deeper pixel format as the the dynamic range is much higher. It is simply not possible to squeeze the dynamic from the SI camera into an 8-bit colorsapce without introducing color banding. If or when Vegas support 10-bits+ we will make the upgrades so thay CineForm RAW can be used within Vegas. Contact Sony now. :)
Old June 6th, 2006, 03:45 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Well if Sony want to keep my business, they'd better update soon!

Thanks gents, very informative.
Steve Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 10:04 AM   #28
Major Player

leaning towards the SI but...

Ari, I've tried to view the footage but something's not happening with my Mac and WindowsMedia player. What can it be? I desperately wanna see running footage of the SI.
Old June 7th, 2006, 10:18 AM   #29
Silicon Imaging

MAC Player for WMV

Only option is: http://www.flip4mac.com/

but it does not decode as well as Microsoft Media Player 10 on PC.
Ari Presler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K