Silicon Imaging SI-1920 Mini used on 48 Hour Film Project at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Silicon Imaging SI-2K
2/3" 1080p IT-integrated 10-bit digital cinema w/direct-to-disk recording.

Old July 18th, 2006, 11:32 AM   #1
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Silicon Imaging SI-1920 Mini used on 48 Hour Film Project

Please read my latest blog here (http://cineform.blogspot.com) regard this shoot. I will be writing up all the technical details shortly. For those in San Diego, you can see the SI shot production on the big screen tonight (see blog for details.)
Old July 18th, 2006, 12:15 PM   #2
Major Player

Good news David! Also I think there is a typo you wrote - The results are stunting. Do you mean stunning?
Yasser Kassana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 01:19 PM   #3
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Thanks I just fixed that typo. We just did the 1080p version; WOW!
Old July 18th, 2006, 03:57 PM   #4
Regular Crew

can you post the film after it runs at the festival? i'd like to see. and btw, what is the 'mini'? how is it different then the main unit?
Eric Gorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 04:14 PM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Yes we will be posting it. The mini is the SI_1920HDVR without the camera body, just the camera head on rails. Very flexible to shoot with, although is need to be tethered to a fast laptop (we used a 2.1Ghz Core Duo Sony VIAO.)
Old July 19th, 2006, 10:14 AM   #6
Trustee

The "mini" as we affectionately call it is also a lot cheaper than the full-blown DVR :)
Jason Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2006, 09:22 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rodriguez
The "mini" as we affectionately call it is also a lot cheaper than the full-blown DVR :)

What's the price on the mini?
Michael Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 12:23 AM   #8
Silicon Imaging

Mini Pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Totten
What's the price on the mini?
SI-1920HD Mini $12.5K
Ari Presler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 09:28 PM   #9
Tourist

I just watched the vid and I have to say I'm quite impressed, especially by the indoor stuff. This will go a long way in convincing my associates that this is a good purchase.

To both the teams at Cineform and SI- keep up the good work. This camera is definitely a winner.

edit: I just found the other thread and it answered my question. Nevermind :)
Andrew Sibley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2006, 04:50 PM   #10
Major Player

May I ask what lenses were used for this video? I noticed vignetting on most of the shots and chromatic aberration on a few. I assume neither of these can be attributed to the camera, but rather to a cheap lens. c-mount machine vision lenses perhaps? Intended for 1/2" sensors? One of the lenses in a behind the scenes photo i saw looked a lot like a really horrible computar c-mount zoom lens I have. Other than that, I'd say the dynamic range and color rendering subjectively looks way above anything in a 1/3" consumer HD camera. I think it's selling this camera a bit short to be showing video shot with low quality lenses and where no time was taken to clean the sensor/lens (there were some smudges that looked like dirt on the sensor). But I guess this project is a good testimonial to prove wrong those who might think this camera wouldnt be good for rushed shoots.
Noah Yuan-Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2006, 09:21 PM   #11
CTO, CineForm Inc.

The main lens used was a Canon 12.5-75mm CCTV Zoom.

This video wasn't put together to showcase the camera -- it was done completely for fun, it happened to be good enough to win an award so we decided to show everyone. If we were doing a camera demo we wouldn't have shot it under such demanding conditions, nor would you have software engineers doing the camera work. The fact that is comes out looking so much better than using good lenses on a smaller sensor, in the hands of an inexperenced crew, shows the flexibilty and power of this camera.
Old July 22nd, 2006, 09:57 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman
This video wasn't put together to showcase the camera -- it was done completely for fun, it happened to be good enough to win an award so we decided to show everyone. If we were doing a camera demo we wouldn't have shot it under such demanding conditions, nor would you have software engineers doing the camera work. The fact that is comes out looking so much better than using good lenses on a smaller sensor, in the hands of an inexperenced crew, shows the flexibilty and power of this camera.
I completely agree.
Mathieu Kassovitz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K