SI-1920 mini with steadicam Merlin - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Silicon Imaging SI-2K
2/3" 1080p IT-integrated 10-bit digital cinema w/direct-to-disk recording.

Old October 1st, 2006, 04:23 AM   #16
Major Player

Hmm, Network cable is genrally prety stiff and could cause trouble with a light rig. Some nice flexible UTP would work fine with a larger (vest & arm) rig.

Pity there are no cables attached to the camera in the video clip linked above, it would be interesting to see how much it affected the rig.

I'll have to try a peice of CAT5 off a FX1 on my Merlin and see how it works..

- Mikko
Old October 1st, 2006, 10:24 AM   #17
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

there's cat5 cable in EVERY shot - it's the only way they can record the shot using the mini .. i'm not sure where they run it off the steadicam ? along steadicam arm then down vest ?

http://indiefilmlive.blogspot.com/
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 01:42 AM   #18
Major Player

This video: ftp://www.atomic-vfx.com/spoon_test_...lyde%20cam.wmv shows no cable leaving the sled. I don't think that the camera was recording at the time.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5...20cam_0001.jpg

The picture furthur down the page isn't clear enoguh to see if there is a cable or not. It looks liek there may be, but I can't see where it goes.

It would be interesting to see some video of the rig in action with the cable attached.

- Mikko
Old October 2nd, 2006, 01:24 PM   #19
Trustee

BTW, they didn't let the cable simply drape off the back of the camera . . . it was constrained.

But network cable is much lighter than a BNC cable, triax, or anything of that nature . . . plus there are various flavors of cable. Some are very stiff, but I've seen others that are quite flexible and shouldn't cause too many issues with a steadicam rig. Of course I don't claim to be the steadicam expert, but I'm just saying we're not getting any negative reports back that this has become an issue for people, so I'm assuming the work-arounds must be sufficient to quell any general complaints about the system.
Jason Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 04:57 AM   #20
Major Player

Oh yeah, cable management is every day stuff for Steadicam, there is a lot of operation done with cables connected (thoguh special cables are normally used - for exmple we have special triax cable that are like a peice of wet spaghetti that we use in place of the big thick regular triax)
I'm just not sure if you coudl find a flexible anough network cable to work with a rig as light and precise as the Merlin.

That fully loaded Glidecam thats in use on this shoot in question is much heavier and can handle a larger cable.

- Mikko
Old October 25th, 2006, 08:40 AM   #21
New Boot

Cables used on spoon

Hi guys,

Sorry I'm sorry scarse. Not for lack of will power just time. Would be great to get questions about spoon tech and processes in one place. I will try and sort something out on the BLOG so that there is a "database" of questions in one place. That way I can more efficiently get around to everything.

On spoon we used cat5 dual core cable. So there are actually two cables in one - one for input and one for output. Geffen vga extenders were used with one of the cores to provide video feedbak. With some engineering this could be made even better. Though cable on the Glyde cam was no problem. And in fact cables presented no additional problems over conventinal set workings in all cases. Even underwater stuff was straight forward. I would prefer to use Glydecam on cable over straping any more gear to the operator as cable is little trouble if any.

Simon
Simon Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 12:58 PM   #22
Wrangler

Earlier this summer I did a feature with the Panavision Genesis with the recorder remoted to a backpack worn by one of the assistants. I had to manage dual solid-core BNC's off the rig that were relatively flexible compared to most BNC cable but not the truly floppy spaghetti strand style that I use for SD cabled work. With a 60lb rig, these cables created enough of an influence to reduce my operating precision by around 5-10%, depending on the move. With a system as delicate as a Merlin, it is hard to imagine how flexible and lightweight a cable would have to be to not exert force.

Everything is possible, and compromises are relative, and results are subjective. But cables are always a hindrance to a certain degree.
Old October 25th, 2006, 01:26 PM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
But cables are always a hindrance to a certain degree.
I agree, and that's why our DVR package doesn't have cables . . . it's completely self-contained.
Jason Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 03:47 PM   #24
RED Code Chef

Charles: I was wondering if there are any fibre conversion kits or something that
allows you to run the signals needed over a very thing fibre-glass cable?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K