Photos of new design and NAB Press Releases - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K

Silicon Imaging SI-2K
2/3" 1080p IT-integrated 10-bit digital cinema w/direct-to-disk recording.

Old April 13th, 2007, 11:25 AM   #16
Trustee

I believe Nikon is listed in the press release. If not, it should be.
Jason Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 11:33 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rodriguez View Post
Yup - I missed that somehow... Thanks! :)
Old April 13th, 2007, 11:43 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rodriguez View Post
What about Canon EF-lenses? David Newman's blog mentions also Canon EF. Any idea of the magnification factor compared to 35mm SLR cameras?

Another question about the monitor. As my field in wildlife films, is there, or is it possible to attach a small monitor (or any EVF) and fully control the camera outdoors without additional equipments?
Lauri Kettunen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 10:57 PM   #19
Major Player

Found this in the PS technik site:

"This includes the new ergonomic and modular designed Silicon Imaging SI-2Kä cameras with interchange lens mount, the 2K-35™ format converter for use of 35mm optics to achieve increase depth of field control and the 2K-B4™ optical mount, for use of 2/3” Cinema lenses. In addition, a variety of tripod mounting, rod support and rig accessories will be shown."

"An integrated P+S Technik interchange lens mounting system now gives users the unprecedented ability to hot-swap between Arri PL, Nikon F, Canon, Zeiss, Leica, C, 2K-B4™ and 2K-35™ Mounts."

"Pricing for the SI-2K™ Digital Cinema Camera with PL-mount is $23,500 or with a 2K-B4-Mount is $24,500, with a NAB promotional discount of $2,000. The SI-2K™ is currently available for order with shipment in June.
The 2K-35™ 35mm lens converter is $4,000 and Cinema Primes Lenses at $2,200 each, with availability in early 3Q’07.
The SI-2K™ digital cinema camera series, along with various P+S Technik accessories, will be shown in the joint CineForm and Siliicon Imaging booth, SL7826."

This clears a bit the SI press release.

I have the following questions:

Does the 2K-35 has a moving ground glass - and the ensuing light loss - similar to the pro35 (35mm lenses to 2/3 B4 mounts) convertor that PS technik sells for 20000EURO/26800USD and if they are almost identical how the price difference is explained?

Does the 2K-B4 mount also has an Fstop penalty and if yes how much?
Emmanuel Plakiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 01:48 AM   #20
Major Player

I've used the Optex B4 to PL adapter and there was no light loss problems so I'm assuming that the P+S Technik would be along the same lines.
With the light loss and image softening that the Pro-35 produces I really hope that the 2k-35 isn't using a ground glass to transfer the 35mm image but P+S are expanding the range of Pro & Mini 35 so.....?
Rohan Dadswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 08:08 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan Dadswell View Post
I've used the Optex B4 to PL adapter and there was no light loss problems so I'm assuming that the P+S Technik would be along the same lines.
With the light loss and image softening that the Pro-35 produces I really hope that the 2k-35 isn't using a ground glass to transfer the 35mm image but P+S are expanding the range of Pro & Mini 35 so.....?
At the very least, they'd have to do a mod to the optics on their traditional Pro 35s because they're designed for use on 3 x CCD cameras.

A single sensor version of the 35mm to HD converter that doesn't have a ground glass would be good: http://www.cine-one.com/pdf/angenieux_hdconverter.pdf

The pictures from the JVC's 16mm to 1/3 CCD "ground glass free" adapter look extremely promising. However, they're not simple to design nor cheap.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 01:05 PM   #22
Major Player

power!!

A couple of questions/thoughts regarding power-

1) Someone asked before about V-mount batteries. According to the website, the cam draws 80 watts.... IDX offers the powercube high-draw batteries, which are v-mount only. 80 watts without accessories could slaughter li-ion batteries pretty quickly. Could be nice to offer a v-mount from the factory to allow powercube use.

2) Will the camera offer accessory power via powertap or lemo for cine-style accessories, incl. cinetapes, focus motors and witness monitors?

thanks! the camera is looking much more streamlined, I'm interested to give it a try once its in production.

Last edited by Jaron Berman; April 14th, 2007 at 01:11 PM. Reason: accidentally submitted before actually writing the questions
Jaron Berman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 01:19 AM   #23
Silicon Imaging

SI-2K Power Outputs

SI-2K has Lemo connectors for Regulated 12VDC and 5VDC power. There is also a dedicated 3-pin Fisher for Stop/Start Switch operation.
Ari Presler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 09:43 AM   #24
Major Player

Nice Job !
It looks Great !
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 12:55 AM   #25
Trustee

80W is an old number with the previous electronics in the older SI-2K cameras from last year . . . I need to change that.

The camera we're showing this year is using up a reasonable 55W.
Jason Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 01:58 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Since I didn't notice any listed, how many hard drive units come with the camera?

I'm assuming you can swap these through the day for downloading etc.
Old April 18th, 2007, 02:17 AM   #27
Silicon Imaging

There is one USB HDD cartridge in the unit. But there are two slots which can be used. The 2nd slot currently has a 4-port USB hub. Remove this device and replace with 2nd HDD.

You can buy spare drive cartridges for $20ea.
Ari Presler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 04:41 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Presler View Post

You can buy spare drive cartridges for $20ea.
Just wondering if there's a zero missing in the cost? I did a quick Google and there are quite a few USB HHDs cartridges seem to be around the $200 mark.
Old April 18th, 2007, 07:55 AM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale View Post
Just wondering if there's a zero missing in the cost? I did a quick Google and there are quite a few USB HHDs cartridges seem to be around the $200 mark.
You probably supply your own drive.
Old April 18th, 2007, 12:38 PM   #30
Regular Crew

How big is the drive that comes with the camera?
Mike Testin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K