New music video now on MTV2 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K

Silicon Imaging SI-2K
2/3" 1080p IT-integrated 10-bit digital cinema w/direct-to-disk recording.

Old July 17th, 2007, 07:46 PM   #16
Major Player

Ah...thanks for the link.

The pics look very good. I'm a drummer so the edits where the drummer is off throw me a bit...but that's most music videos.
Old July 18th, 2007, 02:25 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Rolling shutter skew

The music video looks great. Congratulations!
My question is more about the camera.
At 1:39 ~ 1:41 (a guy handed a girl a piece of paper or something)
the rolling shutter skew is more obvious than I would expected, considering the pan speed is not very fast. For me it's totally acceptable as is, but I'm wondering if it could be further reduced. Maybe clock the chip faster or implement a mechanical shutter?
I heard it would be bad when doing camera tracking for CGI works though. Has anyone tested it with this camera?
Eric Wu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 06:43 AM   #18
Trustee

The pan speed is not what I would consider slow either . . . but the biggest factor in that shot is the focal length of the lens (it's a very long shot).

Rolling shutter skew is really a factor of the angular momentum of the shot, i.e., how many degrees of the FOV you cover in a given amount of time. So for a very long lens with a narrow FOV, a small angular turn of the camera is going to cover a very long arc of movement in the frame. Or to put it a little simpler, with a long lens a small turn is going to pan through a lot of material, meaning that material is going to be traveling very fast through the frame, and as a result you're going to get more skew. So a wider angle lens is going to exhibit less rolling shutter skew than a longer lens.

Another factor in that shot is the frame-rate they were running the camera at. They were using a new mode in the camera cropped for 2.39:1, they didn't use a "normal" 16:9 2K mode and crop that in post. As a result, we had not finished all the clock settings on that mode at the time, so it wasn't clocked as high as it could have been . . . that would have reduced the rolling shutter as well.

Finally you have a lot of nice vertical subject matter in that shot with which to judge the rolling shutter against . . . I actually never even noticed this effect until you pointed it out, and I've seen the music video a good number of times now.

We have other movement shots on our website gallery, so you can get a good feel for what the rolling shutter is like. Also this camera was used for special effects shots on Mutant Chronicles and Spoon, and they have not complained at all about rolling shutter skew. In fact for Spoon we have a great panning shot of a power-plant control station where the guys at Atomic VFX composited and tracked a number of elements into the shot.

You can see that shot progression here:

http://siliconimaging.com/DigitalCin...Bluescreen.wmv

Also there is "Blood:A Butcher's Tale" that is in post right now, and their movie is all green-screen, Sin-City style with lots of compositing . . . and they again have also not reported problems with rolling shutter skew.

So suffice to say, no, I do not see rolling shutter skew being a problem for special effects except in the worst-possible cases, i.e., swish-pans on lots of vertical-oriented material with a long lens. Also really bad vibrations can cause the skew to become visible as well (since you're basically jittering the camera back and forth quite a bit from it's center of gravity, causing a lot of angular momentum in the frame).
Jason Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 11:55 AM   #19
Tourist

Quicktime and Windows Media Viewing

Roadrunner Records, the record label, has posted both Quicktime and Windows versions of "Here I Stand" on Madina Lake's video page. Please follow the link below for viewing.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/art...ake/video.aspx

There have been complications with getting a hi-res version of the video to post on our website. We'll keep you posted as this develops.

We also worked on a video for the Dresden Dolls with our SI-2K Mini, "Shores of California". It was shot exclusively with the Mini on Venice Beach, here in Los Angeles, and provides a great contrast against the Madina Lake video. Please enjoy and let us know if you have any questions about either video!

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/art...lls/video.aspx

- Heather Hays
Oasis Production Services
Heather Hays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 06:56 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Thanks for posting those. I really like the look of the Madina Lake video.
Nice work.
Old July 19th, 2007, 07:25 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Thank you for the reply, Jason.
I wouldn't notice it either if I wasn't looking for it. I'm considering buying one of the SI-2K in the future so it's always good for me to know what it can or can't do.
The color grading looks very cool in those videos. It shows that there's very much you can do with the high dynamic range and 10-bit color depth of the raw output.
Eric Wu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K