New! Sony FDR-AX1 4K Handycam! - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old December 8th, 2013, 02:10 PM   #46
Inner Circle

Re: New! Sony FDR-AX1 4K Handycam!

I have tried many times to play back content from a thumb drive on most of the different Sony 4K bravias and failed. I don't believe 4K playback from USB is supported at this time.

I have come across some Chinese Android based media players (Measy B4K, approx $80 USD) that claim to play back 4K H264 clips over HDMI 1.4. This is technically possible, but only 8 bit and only up to 30fps. I have one on order but it has not arrived yet. I also have one of the latest top of the line 15" MacBook Pro retina laptops and this can also play back 4K over HDMI at up to 30fps. (have to set the display frequency to 24 or 30Hz).

I think the FMP-X1 supports H264 at up to 300Mb/s. I've supplied 4K H264 clips to Sony for use on the X1 at around 260Mb/s before now.
Old December 8th, 2013, 03:09 PM   #47
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
I also have one of the latest top of the line 15" MacBook Pro retina laptops and this can also play back 4K over HDMI at up to 30fps. (have to set the display frequency to 24 or 30Hz).

I think the FMP-X1 supports H264 at up to 300Mb/s. I've supplied 4K H264 clips to Sony for use on the X1 at around 260Mb/s before now.
According to the published data in the BRAVIA i-Manual ( the XBR-65X900A/55X900A version) their section on supported video codecs agrees with you 100%. They don’t mention any 4K video codec support currently. However we can always hope they will add it!

The part you said about supplying Sony with 4K H264 clips for playback on their X1 is interesting. I wonder if they had to manipulate the clip in anyway or if it just loaded up on the X1 and played just the way you sent it to them?

That's really interesting information about the X1 potentially being able to support 4K H264 at up to 300Mb/s. I should try and load a 4K H264 clip on to the X1 media server at the Sony Style store via its USB interface. Once it's on the X1 hard drive then it would be interesting to see if it can be seen on the X1's directory!
Douglas Call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2013, 11:31 PM   #48
Regular Crew

Sony FDR-AX1 4K - Zebra set-up

As a first time Sony Cam user and a stills photographer rather then videographer, could someone help me with the zebra function of the AX-1? I am only used to one setting with my previous Canon XH-A1 and this has the option for two at once:
Zebra1 at 50 to 107%
Zebra1 Aperture Level at 1 to 20%
Zebra2 Level at 52 to 109% (that probably makes three) ??

What do these mean, different levels within the scene I guess? Zebra Aperture Level?

Many thanks:)
Robert
Old December 10th, 2013, 08:41 AM   #49
Inner Circle

I think most would set Zebra 1 for faces in the 75% range and the aperture control is the tolerance on the value. Zebra 2 may be 100% knowing that the FDR-AX1 will record super white at 109 so if you are only just getting 100% there is still some detail that can be restored in post. With both set you can see face exposure and highlights. That is how I have mine set Zebra 1 75, Zebra 2 90 with aperture at 5%. The Zebra 1 appear at 70 and disappear at 80. Zebra 2 appear at 90 and stay above that. I only have one zebra on the NX5U and have it set at 80 %. That is my understanding anyway !!

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2014, 03:43 AM   #50
Major Player

Just got this camera as a cheap b-cam for our RED EPIC and 1DC, when we need to grab quick interviews on location. We do a lot of action sports. Due to unusual rainy weather here in Norway mid winter we haven't tried it out properly just yet. I knew it would be bad in low light (and we have other cameras for those situations) and we will use it mostly outdoors so we should be ok.
A bit disappointed about the no hard stops on the focus, but can live with that for the price. Otherwise it seems well spec'd for a consumer camera.
Joachim Hoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 05:13 AM   #51
Major Player

Used our camera for 2 weeks on a shoot in Kamchatka, Russia and my only gripe with the camera so far is the useless manual focus ring. It's back to the days of my XL-H1. It's a close to useless as anything can be. I never use autofocus on cameras, but the AX1 really forced me to do just that
Joachim Hoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 05:24 AM   #52
Inner Circle

As I mentioned in my previous post. I use manual focus but use the push focus auto feature to get in range and then check with the expanded focus with the focus ring. It's not very good I agree. I leave peaking on all the time now just to get a check for if I am totally out of focus !!! I think a bigger monitor and larger than 2x expended is needed for 4K.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2016, 05:15 AM   #53
Tourist

Does anyone know if you can buy a wide angle lens adapter for the Sony FDR-AX1 4K camera? I currently have a Canon XF300 with a wide angle lens converter (WA-H82). I'm tempted to buy the Sony 4K camera but would need to be able to have a wider angle when shooting.
Steven Trigg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds