First Batch of Z100 4K ENG Cams Has Arrived, Impressions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old December 16th, 2013, 07:14 PM   #1
Major Player

First Batch of Z100 4K ENG Cams Has Arrived, Impressions

We got in our first PXW-Z100 cameras on Friday (12/13) afternoon. We've already filled all our pre-orders and are now on to orders - round 2. First Impressions: It's everything i expected. It feels very familiar right away. It's just like having an NX5 in your hands, perhaps a little more solidly built. Of course the first realization was that, even if you use a 64GB card, storage space is an issue. 64GB at 4K 30p will give you about 20+ minutes of record time. Ouch. And you're going to want to buy Sony's USB 3.0 card reader, the on-camera port is only USB 2.0 C'mon man! My next thought: This is a killer 1080p camera. 10-bit 4:2:2 100+ mbps at 30p or 200+mbps at 60p. Thats awesome. And the mobile device control is amazing. I've never seen phone/tablet camera control so well implemented. Hopefully i'll be able to actually post some footage and some more thoughts on the camera soon. Please please let me know if you have any questions about this new camera. Right now it's $5,494.

Eric Petrie, epetrie@provideoandtape.com
Eric C. Petrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2013, 12:05 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: First Batch of Z100 4K ENG Cams Has Arrived, Impressions

Worth noting that right now i'm including it with a 32GB XQD card. in 4K 30p thats 10 minutes of record time, in 1080p 10-bit 4:2:2 thats 30 minutes of record time.

Eric Petrie, epetrie@provideoandtape.com
Eric C. Petrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2014, 04:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Eric,
In a comparison for 1080P, how do you feel this compares with the Panasonic PX270?
Scott Hiddelston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 05:24 PM   #4
Major Player

I tested one unit for it's 4K capabilities and I am extremely disappointed with the very low quality of the sensor. I am used to the habit of Sony regarding high detail level but even by lowering them, the image is very noisy. I did quite a few tests with it and I believe the 4:2:2 10 bit is useless considering the very poor image coming from the sensor. I planned to replace my (very old now) Z1u with another Sony to go 4K with a wide DOF because I mainly use a RED Epic for shooting but work with scale model and green screen where you need very wide DOF. I tested the Z100 in various conditions and ended up very sceptical about the reason Sony would release such a bad camera, probably to jump into the 4K buzz but it's not ready, not at all, for production quality.
http://www.fictis.net
info@fictis.net
Eric Bilodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 06:15 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I would agree with Eric on this. I bought the AX-1 version when it was released and returned it several days later for the same reasons.
I've bought quite a few cameras in my day and have never before been as disappointed as this or ever returned one.
Brian Jansen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds