Sony PXW-X70 announced: Pro XDCAM version of AX100 - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old August 20th, 2014, 09:48 AM   #91
Trustee

Re: Sony PXW-X70 announced: Pro XDCAM version of AX100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
Is the rolling shutter that much of a thing? I've been hearing about this crap for years, only ever had a problem with it when dealing with camera flashes.
@Anybody that likes super fast left/right pans...

I keep hearing all the complaints about the Ax100 and A7s concerning rolling shutter durring "whip-fast" pans.

Complaints sound like this: "Watch me jerk my Ax100 or A7s to the left.....see that skew?....a CCD sensor would never do that!..."

If whip pans are your thing, than certainly the Ax100 or A7s is not for you.

Me personally? ....I think fast pans look horrible even on cameras with a global shutter. Why do people insist on demonstrating that problem when nobody really shoots video that way in the real world?

Generally speaking flashes are annoying and maybe skew of very fast moving objects inside a stable frame...those can sometimes look bad. However, I think that all this rolling shutter talk is highly exaggerated.

CT
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2014, 09:50 AM   #92
Regular Crew

little sister from PXW-X70 ... the FDR-AX100E ... yes, run well with the (aditionally purchased)
larger NP-FV1000
_____
Hans
Hans Stephan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2014, 09:58 AM   #93
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
Is the rolling shutter that much of a thing? I've been hearing about this crap for years, only ever had a problem with it when dealing with camera flashes.
The rollingshutter on the ax100 and most likely on the x70 can be very nasty but it depends on how you use the camera, in my case it's not a issue at all, I do slow pans or use static shots but if you plan on shooting football games with this camera it can give you unusable shots, I never would use the camera for these type of events. The rolling shutter is quite bad if you have to pan too fast and it gets worse as you zoom in and follow a object.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2014, 04:30 PM   #94
Inner Circle

I think it should be mentioned that the RS does not seem to be quite as bad in the AX100 if shooting 1080p
(actually comparable to a CX/PJ7xx series, based on what I could see in the viewfinders), so the X70 may look "better" and then it remains to be seen how well the 4K upgrade tweaks things.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2014, 09:42 PM   #95
Slash Rules!

How is rs on those other cams vs an ex1? Ive done a little everything with ex (no sports but fast moves on broll shots), never noticed any "jello" when reviewing footage.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2014, 12:37 AM   #96
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
I think it should be mentioned that the RS does not seem to be quite as bad in the AX100 if shooting 1080p
I should have mentioned that as well, I never shoot 1080p, only 4k with the ax100 but from the online samples I have seen 1080p seems much less affected when it comes to rolling shutter. RS in 4K however is another story depending on your use.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2014, 01:34 PM   #97
Inner Circle

don't have an EX1 or any experience with one, but compared with a PJ760 which generally doesn't seem to generate RS complaints, and in 1080p, the skew visible in the VF was comparable.

In 4K, you definitely want to follow traditional "film rules", not "shake it like ya just don't care". Camera technique becomes more important, and my opinion has always been that with the AX100, if you need "fast motion", the 1080/60p mode should probably be strongly considered if you can't shoot wide and P&C in post.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2014, 04:27 AM   #98
Regular Crew

Sony just posted this video on their youtube channel. this little camera is hitting so many right buttons for events (NDs, dual recording, bigger sensor) convinced it's going to be my next camera. At 3:00 there's a shot of trees with nasty compression but I'm sure it's just youtube.

Old August 22nd, 2014, 12:24 PM   #99
Major Player

That was an incredible video - of course, it was shot by professionals but the images were superb. I don't feel that I will regret selling my PMW 200 and accessories back to B&H in anticipation of receiving the new camera (on preorder) in September. For my purposes (hobbyist) this new camera will be so much more manageable (vacations, family holidays). No more being questioned (or in some instances stopped) about doing a "professional" shoot. Just take off the handle assembly and voila just another handycam! Can't wait.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2014, 03:46 PM   #100
Regular Crew

I am just little confused by this camera, it seems like it has new technology that I would want, I am just not sure how much better it is than my Sony EX1-R..I understand that it may not be better than the EX cameras like the 200 but is it better than mine.

1-How does it compare in regards to light sensitivity?
2-Will the better codecs make it look cleaner than my EX1R footage?
3-Is the lens better?
4-Does anyone know how the iris dial compares to the lens iris on the EX1
5- The Sony EX1R shipped with sort of a flat picture profile and I have tweaked it over time, does this camera have a decent tweaking range?
Rich Adrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2014, 05:42 PM   #101
Major Player

I can only compare the AX100 that I had for a month before going back to the EX1r

1 a stop (whole) better than the EX1r
2 pretty much the same, only bigger files with the AVCS (much bigger) EX1r = 35mbps AX100=50mbps
3 no way (the fuji is on another planet)
4 it's a matter of getting used to it, not a big deal (if you have small hands)
5 no. the EX1r was made for post, the AX100 gets it right out of the camera, I can't complain, it does get it right.

notes:
the ND filter on the AX100 are brutal, when they engage it will show in the footage, can't do it in a continuous take
there is no zoom speed adjustment with the AX100 . If you use a lanc remote with a speed adjustment then the minimum speed is not slow enough. The EX1r can be jerky but at least the speed adjustment (in camera) is way better.
in my case I couldn't use the AX100 for work at all, then it also depends on how you distribute (MP4 files, DVD, internet). For my needs the EX1r gets the job done better (much better).
Anthony Lelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2014, 05:47 PM   #102
Trustee

It seems to me to be a little like comparing apples with oranges.
I think of the EX-1 as a full-on professional camera with a massive feature set, a highly regarded lens, true manual focus, and etc.
The X70 has very attractive features (in fact, I have one on order), but seems more of a "prosumer" level product.
The one advantage it offers over the EX-1 is the XAVC codec- 4:2:2, 50 mbs, with the promise of 4K to be added later.
Maybe the new PXW-X180- the big version of the X70- might be a more direct comparison to the EX-1.

Last edited by Robert Young; August 22nd, 2014 at 10:59 PM.
Robert Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2014, 12:13 AM   #103
Regular Crew

Thanks

The 180 has three 1/3" sensors -The Sony EX1R has three 1/2 sensors so one sixth bigger
-The X70 has one 1 inch sensor
So which is better?

How much better is the EX1 lens than the X70- I understand that the optical image stabilization of the X70 is better than the EX1R

How many more features does my camera have over the X70-- The X70 seems to have SDI out, picture profiles
There’s a full set of exposure and focus aids including peaking, histogram, zebras etc
The build is solid-seems Pro enough

Because the lens does not have three rings does that make it much harder to work with?

Skipping the checklist of features convo, bottom line with proper picture profile tweaking and good use of exposure would I see a much better looking image out of the X70 than my EX1R in most shooting situations?

Thanks in advance to those who respond
Rich Adrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2014, 06:46 AM   #104
Space Hipster

I work a lot with the EX3, which is almost identical to the EX1/1R. I now own a PMW-300.

A bigger sensor gives you better control over the depth of field. I'm thinking the X70 would be better in that regard.
It is one chip compared to three on the EX models. No Bayer filter needed on the EX cameras. Which will be sharper? When the X70 gets its 4K it should be a lot sharper.

The 3-ring lens will always be preferred over a single ring. It just gives you so much more control over the lens features.

The XAVC-S codec is definitely better than the EX models' XDCAM. 10-bit, 4:2:2 is a fantastic feature.

Both the EX1/1R and the X70 lack a timecode in/out. Bummer.

Between the X70 and an EX model,. I'd go for the X70.

I'd like an X70 as a b-camera to my PMW-300, but I definitely prefer my 300 to the X70.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2014, 10:47 AM   #105
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Hurtado View Post
At 3:00 there's a shot of trees with nasty compression but I'm sure it's just youtube.
I just watched the video and the poor quality of that shot jumped out/jarred with me too - otherwise most of the shots look pretty decent HD (for something that's been through the YouTube "mangle").

The studio shots of the finished pieces of glasswork look particularly impressive - considering the cam is only outputting HD resolution at this point in time.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds