Sony AX100 - Price Drop. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old August 24th, 2014, 01:29 AM   #1
Major Player

Sony AX100 - Price Drop.

I was just on B&H and noticed there is now a $200 Instant Savings applied, so the camera is $1,798.

That sure makes it tempting.

I got a chance to try one out at the store, and overall, like the layout for full manual control, plus 3 ND Filters built in.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1022653-REG/sony_fdrax100_b_hdr_ax100_full_hd_handycam.html

Last edited by Kyle Root; August 24th, 2014 at 01:29 AM. Reason: added link
Kyle Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2014, 02:18 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Sony AX100 - Price Drop.

V nice ...

I'm waiting for them to sell pre-owned for less than £1000 before I pick one up.

Won't be producing 4K content though ... just for re-framing purposes as outlined in other threads.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2014, 06:40 AM   #3
Major Player

Wonder if this is to create a bigger difference between this and the PMW-X70?
Steve Kimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2014, 07:09 AM   #4
Major Player

Perhaps.

All I know is, I'm thinking of offloading my Canon XA20 and picking up one of these guys... for the reframing ability, and as noted above, better layout for when in manual mode.
Old August 24th, 2014, 11:26 AM   #5
Regular Crew

same here in €urope .... Sony FDR-AX100E schwarz Preisvergleich | Geizhals EU
Hans Stephan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2014, 11:32 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Got mine in Belgium when the price dropped 15%, still only one store in Belgium and the Netherlands offering it at the lowered price, all others still have it at the introductory price.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2014, 03:25 PM   #7
Regular Crew

IBC and Photokina are around the corner. Be sure it's what you want before buying if you can't wait for a couple of weeks. Buyer's remorse can be painful!
Old September 6th, 2014, 06:31 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Hurtado View Post
IBC and Photokina are around the corner. Be sure it's what you want before buying if you can't wait for a couple of weeks. Buyer's remorse can be painful!

I don't think that sony will show a new high consumer camera so early. They have no reason announce a new camcorder because there is no competition with other vendor on 4k

for the DSLR world is another story andt who buy the Ax100 is because still prefer a traditional camcorder

Ugo
Ugo Merlini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2014, 08:45 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Hurtado View Post
Although there were no rumors about RX10 Mark II, I doubt Sony will let Panasonic FZ1000 have all the 4K fun for long.
Jurij Turnsek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2014, 10:24 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurij Turnsek View Post
Although there were no rumors about RX10 Mark II, I doubt Sony will let Panasonic FZ1000 have all the 4K fun for long.
but we are speaking of two complete different camera type .... you can't put a DSLR camera on the same level of a camcorder they have a complete different target / market IMHO

Sincerely I never buy a DSLR camera and use it as a camcorder as daily basis
Ugo
Ugo Merlini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2014, 11:44 AM   #11
Inner Circle

With the RX10 getting the high bitrate XAVCS with firmware upgrade, it's still quite competitive (and you can't tell me that another firmware update couldn't add 4K IF Sony felt the competition was offering quality 4K images). The RX10 is a VERY competent video camera by design, and I'm seeing used ones for $750, which is significantly less than the AX100. You can get used to shooting with it very quickly and get excellent results. If you also shoot stills, it's very competent in that capacity. If they add 4K, it is a camera that could likely remain "competitive" for 3-5 YEARS as it is quite well designed.

For the moment, the AX100 is in another league, all by itself, I got a great deal on a slightly used one, and absolutely no regrets - it is a very nice VIDEO camera (shoots great stills too, if you want). The 4K is usable once you get the hang of it for most scenarios, and it also has high bitrate 1080/60p XAVCS.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds