PXW-X70 + DSC Chart + Vectorscope - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old October 8th, 2014, 07:14 AM   #31
Trustee

Re: PXW-X70 + DSC Chart + Vectorscope

Alister, those still grabs were with the AUTO WHITE BALANCE, so the calibrations I put in went out the door.

Agree with what you said, which is why I commented previously that they may have skewed the stock settings for reasons I am not able to comprehend. If you look at the new settings I came up with vs the stock settings, you can see things like the red vector pulled strongly to orange, which you can see in anything I shoot as orange car taillights and such.

I hope that by providing these settings and files, that users can introduce them into their NLE when using the calibrations, knowing they match up, as a "starting point". :-)

Also, the form won;t let me upload jpg photos....strange.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2014, 11:27 PM   #32
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
One of my preferred ways of creating a picture profile is to use a photograph or picture of a real world scene.
Alister
I would like to know what PP settings you used on the X70 for the train demo movie you shot for Sony, if you remember?
You were always the helpful guru for PP settings on the EX 1 when it was new. I think the EX 1 was the first experience dealing with all of those parameters for a lot of us.
I'm sure many of us would be grateful for anything you have to share regarding using these settings to design presets for the X70.
Thanks
Old October 11th, 2014, 08:30 PM   #33
Trustee

I am still getting pretty significant cyan curves into green. The calibrated settings listed above include several figures that are not necessarily "prefect". What I mean is, there are some things such as saturation and secondary phase settings that can be manipulated wildly, and not show any changes on the scope at the DCS standard lighting level. I uploaded a test clip to YouTube, and put some still grabs below. For some reason, blues are bluer when wide angle, but change to green when you zoom in, or when the saturation level intensifies. I will rescope the camera and find the variables in the settings that will not affect the colors on the scope, then adjust within those allowed settings in the field to weed out the strange color shifts. Hopefully, this will keep the DSC colors accurate, but also correct for colors outside of the charts saturation range. For reference, this camera as well as the CX900 I own both have this green blues and orange reds issue, hoping it's resolvable.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
PXW-X70 + DSC Chart + Vectorscope-clairemont-crash.jpeg   PXW-X70 + DSC Chart + Vectorscope-clairemont-crash-1.jpeg  

PXW-X70 + DSC Chart + Vectorscope-clairemont-crash-2.jpeg  
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2014, 06:41 AM   #34
Trustee

I've done some MAJOR revisions to my original custom settings. I am vetting them in the field before posting my final PP calibrations. I am calling this my "direct-to-air" calibration. It is meant to be basically a do almost anything "default" PP setting which the camera should have shipped with to begin with. It is intended for those who wish to cut and air raw footage, and should not require any color correction or modification prior to broadcast. Special attention was paid to get skin tones accurate, as these are a major problem with these 1" sensor Sony cameras.

I am including a bunch of still frame grabs from the raw 720p AVCHD footage I shot overnight, just to show how the colors, contrast/gamma, and detail modifications look. I will post the final "direct-to-air" calibrations once am certain I cannot get them any more accurate than they are for their intended purpose. :-)

Pictures will show full size when clicked.
Attached Thumbnails
PXW-X70 + DSC Chart + Vectorscope-harbor-police-pursuit-photo-op.jpeg   PXW-X70 + DSC Chart + Vectorscope-harbor-police-pursuit-photo-op-1.jpeg  

PXW-X70 + DSC Chart + Vectorscope-harbor-police-pursuit-photo-op-2.jpeg   PXW-X70 + DSC Chart + Vectorscope-harbor-police-pursuit-photo-op-4.jpeg  

PXW-X70 + DSC Chart + Vectorscope-harbor-police-pursuit-photo-op-5.jpeg   PXW-X70 + DSC Chart + Vectorscope-harbor-police-pursuit-photo-op-7.jpeg  

PXW-X70 + DSC Chart + Vectorscope-cv-sleepy-crash-photo-op.jpeg   PXW-X70 + DSC Chart + Vectorscope-cv-sleepy-crash-photo-op-1.jpeg  

Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds