PXW-X70 UV Filter? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old November 10th, 2014, 06:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

PXW-X70 UV Filter?

Any of you Sony owners using a UV filter? If so, please let me know what you're using along with you thoughts . Thanks, Ray
Ray Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2014, 07:54 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: PXW-X70 UV Filter?

I shoot a lot of beach weddings and often have to deal with salt spray so I use a B+W UV MRC filter on mine.
Maui, Hawaii
Todd Mizomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014, 07:14 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply..... Do you have the PXW-X70? If so, are you able to use the lens hood and cap that came with it? Thanks again, Ray
Old November 11th, 2014, 03:18 PM   #4
Trustee

I'm using a Hoya NXT HMC UV slim frame on my x70.
The lens hood and lens cap fit perfectly.
Old November 11th, 2014, 05:40 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Awesome.... Thanks for the help. I'll check that one out as well. Is this the one found on this link? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/652131-REG/Hoya_A62UVC_62mm_Ultraviolet_UV_0_Haze.html Thanks again, Ray
Old November 12th, 2014, 02:16 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Paula View Post
Thanks for the reply..... Do you have the PXW-X70? If so, are you able to use the lens hood and cap that came with it? Thanks again, Ray
Yes I replaced my Canon XF100 and XA10 with the Sony PXW-X70 and yes, the lens hood and cap work fine with the B+W filter
Maui, Hawaii
Todd Mizomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2014, 07:22 AM   #7
Regular Crew

That's great.... There is a couple B+W UV filters that I was looking at which can be found here;
1) B+W 62mm UV Slim SC 010 Filter:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/132944-REG/B_W_65026899_62mm_Ultraviolet_UV_Filter.html
2) B+W 62mm XS-Pro UV MRC-Nano 010M Filter:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/756188-REG/B_W_1066122_62mm_Ultraviolet_UV_MC.html
Both of these filters descriptions state that they are slightly bigger. This is what has me concerned about the lens hood and lens cap working. Looking at the front of the camera, it appears that it could accept a slightly larger filter. Not sure if the original lens cap would be too sloppy. I like the thinner filters simply due to no worrying about any vignetting. It's kind of a guessing game without actually being able to see and try it out. Thanks again, I sincerely appreciate your help.....Ray
Old November 12th, 2014, 08:06 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Found the following article on filters that some of you may find interesting. Under the section called "The Filter Ring." I found it to be interesting in regards to lens cap fitment (last paragraph) that kind of solves my question. The only thing that concerns me now is the filter being slightly larger. I definately want to use my lens hood. Thanks again, Ray
UV and Clear Lens Protection Filters Review
Old November 18th, 2014, 02:13 AM   #9
Trustee

I stopped using my Hoya UV clear filter on my camera. The SHAPE of the front element of these cameras causes excessive flare reflections when light is directed directly in front or slightly offset to the barrel. What happens is that the GREEN tint you see looking into the front of the Sony lens, will actually be reflected off of the BACK of the filter, causing horrendous green haze and ghosting. It's like some sort of hall of mirrors going on between the panes of glass, makes it unusable for my shooting night news with lots of police lights.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2014, 06:01 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Anderegg View Post
I stopped using my Hoya UV clear filter on my camera. The SHAPE of the front element of these cameras causes excessive flare reflections when light is directed directly in front or slightly offset to the barrel. What happens is that the GREEN tint you see looking into the front of the Sony lens, will actually be reflected off of the BACK of the filter, causing horrendous green haze and ghosting. It's like some sort of hall of mirrors going on between the panes of glass, makes it unusable for my shooting night news with lots of police lights.

Paul
I've noticed this with other cameras, too, after dark or indoors. Moving bright lights, such as an approaching car, can cause greenish "UFOs" to move across the frame as some of the light is reflected between the lens and the filter. A UV (or sky-light) filter is a useful extra protection for the lens in normal use, but you have to know when to take it off (and so take extra care).
Old November 18th, 2014, 06:52 AM   #11
Trustee

My previous comment aside, the Hoya MC version is optically transparent, no real flare or ghosting observable besides the actual reflections off of the camera outer optical element. You can hold it up to a light source and it clean and devoid of haze even with bright lighting on the other side. I would use it without question in the daylight.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2014, 10:45 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Great info..... I'm leaning towards the B+W 62mm XS-Pro UV MRC-Nano 010M Filter
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/756188-REG/B_W_1066122_62mm_Ultraviolet_UV_MC.htmlThanks for all your help and suggestions. Ray
Old December 5th, 2014, 02:55 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Hi,
First, Thank you everyone for your help! I just received my B+W 62mm XS-Pro UV MRC-Nano 010M Filter. In a word "Awesome" It fits the PXW-X70 lens, lens hood & cover like a glove. I'm sure it will perform as good as it fits simply due to my past experience with B+W filters. Extremely happy and thanks once again! Ray

Last edited by Ray Paula; December 5th, 2014 at 03:43 PM.
Ray Paula is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds