DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/)
-   -   Any word on XAVC-L plugin for FCP X? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/526499-any-word-xavc-l-plugin-fcp-x.html)

Ricky Sharp March 31st, 2015 01:34 PM

Re: Any word on XAVC-L plugin for FCP X?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricky Sharp (Post 1881230)
I took a slightly different route since I have an Apple developer account. So filed a bug. If the bug gets answered and doesn't contain any material under NDA, I'll post here.

Well that was quick. Apple promptly closed my bug report and marked it as a duplicate of number 16759740. I don't have access to see that particular bug, but it would have been filed around April 2014 (judging from nearby numbers).

Definitely frustrating that it's at least been a year since this was reported and yet no fix has been provided.

Paul Hardy April 13th, 2015 11:14 AM

Well the 10.2 update's out & it still won't import footage from my X70 (unless I'm missing something). It'll import either a thumbnail or audio only.

Not mad - just disappointed!

David Dixon April 13th, 2015 12:17 PM

Paul - seeing the exact same thing here - audio only plus first frame of a clip. I rebooted, updated FCPX, Motion, Compressor. I see no update to Pro Codecs either. I am still on 10.10.2 however, but FCPX 10.2 says that's all that's required.

I even checked for an updated plugin from Sony. Yes, disappointing. Glad I have my EditReady/ProRes workflow worked out.

David McCann April 13th, 2015 12:31 PM

Wow... This is disappointing!!! Hopefully someone that is at NAB can try to clear this up with Sony and/or Apple. What are they thinking? How is that Edit Ready working for u? What kind of encoding times are you seeing. I am just about to buy this camera and think that I will just deal with the AVCHD until full FCPX support this there.

Ricky Sharp April 13th, 2015 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David McCann (Post 1883242)
Wow... This is disappointing!!! Hopefully someone that is at NAB can try to clear this up with Sony and/or Apple. What are they thinking? How is that Edit Ready working for u? What kind of encoding times are you seeing. I am just about to buy this camera and think that I will just deal with the AVCHD until full FCPX support this there.

I'm furious. Especially since the bug I had filed with Apple was marked as a duplicate. And the original bug (filed around April 2014) was closed. There are typically two reasons an original bug report is closed. The most common of course is that the bug is fixed. The less common is "works as designed". Unfortunately, I don't have access to the "why" the original was closed.

I just tried importing a clip myself with Final Cut X 10.2 on OS X 10.10.3. Same issue as before that others are seeing. Audio comes in with blank video.

Needless to say, I will fire back a response on my bug report, but I don't expect any answer to that at this point.

I'll give it a few more days, but if Sony/Apple do not have a fix for this, then no sale. I'll either keep what I have, or look at other brands.

Side note... from the 'What's new' for FCX 10.2...

* Support for Panasonic AVC-Ultra, Sony XAVC-S, JVC H.264 Long GOP

Someone dropped the ball big time.

David McCann April 13th, 2015 12:47 PM

I wonder if it is supposed to work? Why would audio and a thumbnail import? How did it work before this update? Did it not even import anything? Someone needs to raise some hell! Im in a X70 group on Facebook and someone posted from NAB saying that there is alot of buzz on this cam!!! Supposedly the price drop was to make up for the upgrade cost when it comes out. So no new cam until then when I assume it will just ship with the update...

Ricky Sharp April 13th, 2015 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David McCann (Post 1883246)
I wonder if it is supposed to work? Why would audio and a thumbnail import? How did it work before this update? Did it not even import anything? Someone needs to raise some hell! Im in a X70 group on Facebook and someone posted from NAB saying that there is alot of buzz on this cam!!! Supposedly the price drop was to make up for the upgrade cost when it comes out. So no new cam until then when I assume it will just ship with the update...

With the prior version of FCX, it didn't work either. Same thing; blank video and just audio came in.

Both Apple's and Sony's sites _minimally_ have documentation errors. Both sites say that you can import XAVC. Which in my eyes means all flavors of that. But that's of course not true since XAVC-L fails to work.

What I'd minimally like to see is for Apple/Sony to change their documentation to reflect what actually works. That means explicitly citing the exact flavors of XAVC that can be imported. That of course doesn't fix the issue, but would at least let consumers not waste time.

Jim Stamos April 13th, 2015 10:06 PM

Sony guy at nab said apple will b announcing upgrade in app store in next few days.sony had given apple what they needed months ago.this delay is on apple not sony

Brian Drysdale April 14th, 2015 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedro Rocha (Post 1874364)
Just to inform that Lightworks 12.0.3.A can read the XAVC-L 1080/60p 50Mbps natively without any transcoding. I'm a Vegas Pro 13 user and it's a bummer that this program as such a big learning curve...

It's no more difficult to learn than Vegas, but just has a different approach. You can drag and drop together with doing a number of similar timeline operations as Vegas, although if you do try to use Lightworks exactly like Vegas you'll find it a frustrating business. I say this as a Vegas owner. The best best one for you probably depends on what type of productions you edit.

Mike Griffiths April 14th, 2015 03:28 AM

I just found out today that Sony are bringing out a 'Catalyst Production suite "which contains Prepare and a new 'Edit' It claims tight integration between Prepare and Edit and claims to cope with X70 files. I have only seen the promo on the Sony website. Does anyone have any more information? If this really is true, it might be a good way forward.

Ricky Sharp April 14th, 2015 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Stamos (Post 1883310)
Sony guy at nab said apple will b announcing upgrade in app store in next few days.sony had given apple what they needed months ago.this delay is on apple not sony

An update beyond version 10.2 that was released yesterday? Or was ysterday's update suppose to have the necessary fixes?

Craig Seeman April 14th, 2015 07:52 AM

Unless there's a ProApps codecs release soon, there's likely not going to be another FCPX update for about 3 months give or take.

Craig Seeman April 14th, 2015 01:53 PM

HD Warrior has a good step by step of the XAVC-L problem regarding the FS7 and the X70.
It seems that the FS7 may work with HD files.

HD Warrior » Blog Archiv » Importing Sony’s XAVC footage into FCPX v10.2

Doug Dunderdale April 15th, 2015 05:52 PM

I just spoke with Ian (I believe his last name is Cook) at the Sony booth at NAB. Everyone said he's the most knowledgeable person in the Sony booth on this question. He said that Apple (and Sony in Japan) promised him that a new version of FCP X, version 10.2, would be released on Monday and it would have the fix for bringing XAVC-L files into FCP. I said that I thought v.10.2 had been released this past Monday. He didn't think that was possible but he checked and I was right. He obviously had not been able to check the update to see if it worked with the XAVC-L files but I told him that my understanding from reading this and other x70 forums was that the problem persisted. (Is this true? Did the v. 10.2 update not fix the problem?) He said that there might be a problem with the difference between xdcam file structures (used on sxs cards and optical disks) and the file structure used on SD cards, like in the x70. It could be that FCP was looking for the video files/folders to be at the root level on the storage device and that the SD card protocol required those files/folders to be inside of a "Private" folder. So it's possible that if one pulled the contents of the Private folder out and placed them at the root level of the SD card, things might work. You might need to delete the (now empty) Private folder. I'm not going to be home for another week so I have no way to check this. Can anyone try this?

David Dixon April 15th, 2015 10:37 PM

No, pulling things out of the Private folder doesn't help, nor does doing that and also deleting the Private folder. I tested this using a card in a card reader, not from an archive.

The problem is not that FCPX can't find the clips, it's that it can't read/import anything but the audio and a jpeg of the first frame of the video.

Others need to try though but it doesn't change anything for me.