DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/)
-   -   Any word on XAVC-L plugin for FCP X? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/526499-any-word-xavc-l-plugin-fcp-x.html)

Paul Hardy April 16th, 2015 12:42 AM

Re: Any word on XAVC-L plugin for FCP X?

OK, so by moving the XDROOT folder to the top of the cards directory structure, FCPX now reads the card & sees that the clip is a video clip (single clips show correct start/stop/duration now, but are greyed out) - however FCPX then quits & crashes before it finishes reading the card.

This says to me that FCPX knows nothing about XAVC-L whatsover & by changing the cards file structure it thinks it's seeing regular XAVC files, gets confused by the 'L' variety and then crashes in a blaze of glory!

So no - 10.2 does not add any XAVC-L functionality whatsoever - no cigar!

I know one thing though - I definitely won't be upgrading my X70's to 4K until this is sorted.

Gerry Fraiberg April 16th, 2015 06:28 PM

Two steps forward, one step back. The supplemental update OSX 10.10.3 still doesn't fix the XAVC-L problem with Final Cut Pro X, version 10.2. I did the update today (The OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 Supplemental Update fixes a video driver issue that may prevent your Mac from starting up when running certain apps that capture video.) and when I tried importing XAVC-L files from the X70, FCPX crashes. Before the update, FCP X would see a thumbnail and an audio file. Now nothing. I tried to import directly from the card as well as from a desktop folder with card contents copied. Sony Catalyst Browse sees the XAVC-L clips on the card. Enough troubleshooting for today. Wait. Maybe I should try cleaning the spark plugs?

Paul Anderegg April 21st, 2015 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Dunderdale (Post 1883495)
I just spoke with Ian (I believe his last name is Cook) at the Sony booth at NAB. Everyone said he's the most knowledgeable person in the Sony booth on this question. He said that Apple (and Sony in Japan) promised him that a new version of FCP X, version 10.2, would be released on Monday and it would have the fix for bringing XAVC-L files into FCP. I said that I thought v.10.2 had been released this past Monday. He didn't think that was possible but he checked and I was right. He obviously had not been able to check the update to see if it worked with the XAVC-L files but I told him that my understanding from reading this and other x70 forums was that the problem persisted. (Is this true? Did the v. 10.2 update not fix the problem?) He said that there might be a problem with the difference between xdcam file structures (used on sxs cards and optical disks) and the file structure used on SD cards, like in the x70. It could be that FCP was looking for the video files/folders to be at the root level on the storage device and that the SD card protocol required those files/folders to be inside of a "Private" folder. So it's possible that if one pulled the contents of the Private folder out and placed them at the root level of the SD card, things might work. You might need to delete the (now empty) Private folder. I'm not going to be home for another week so I have no way to check this. Can anyone try this?

I am having my FCP-X updated tomorrow. I have an X70 and an X180. Perhaps I can copy/paste X70 footage from an SD card onto my X180's SxS cards, and attempt an ingest to see if it's the file structure? Didn't someone post that the X70 XAVC L files have different attributes than other XAVC L files from other cameras?

Paul

Ricky Sharp April 22nd, 2015 04:49 AM

I see that Pro Video Formats 2.0.1 is now available. Cross your fingers! Will try this myself in a few hours.

Paul Hardy April 22nd, 2015 05:24 AM

No No No - the 'Pro Video Formats 2.0.1' update makes absolutely no difference whatsoever

This is unfortunate as I was hoping XAVC-L support would be added via this kind of update & not a full FCPX release, however as this recent update has done absolutely nothing to help this sorry situation - I think it'll now be a long long wait before a fix is released!

Ricky Sharp April 22nd, 2015 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Hardy (Post 1884132)
No No No - the 'Pro Video Formats 2.0.1' update makes absolutely no difference whatsoever

This is unfortunate as I was hoping XAVC-L support would be added via this kind of update & not a full FCPX release, however as this recent update has done absolutely nothing to help this sorry situation - I think it'll now be a long long wait before a fix is released!

Grumble, grumble. Confirmed that this is still broken. My X70 arrives today. I will be capturing a very short clip over the next couple days to attach to a new bug report filed at Apple. Probably will be sent back as a duplicate of the original closed bug, but still worth a shot.

Paul Anderegg April 23rd, 2015 05:34 PM

I just finished my first night of full on 1080p60 XAVC L shooting.......ingested like magic into FCPX 10.2, looks amazing, I am soooo happy! With color correction and a broadcast filter in place, my 1080p60 XAVC L exports to 720p60 HDV at 45 seconds to the minute, very fast! 10.2 is SWEET.

That was on my X180 though......... :-\

Paul

Mike Griffiths April 23rd, 2015 08:49 PM

what I don't understand is why if Catalyst Browse, Prepare, Prem Pro CC, Avid etc etc can 'see' X70 long GOP why can't FCPX developers just look at it . There must be common threads in their programmes, why can't they just copy/modify them? Would make even more sense for Vegas ( but I'm on a mac)
Must be a reason, there's a reason for everything!:)

Paul Anderegg April 24th, 2015 01:36 AM

I just put the entire card contents of an SDXC X70 XAVC L card onto my X180 SxS card. I tried adding the files as clips in the X180 video folder, they refused to show. I deleted the card and put the SDXC file structure on the SxS, and FCPX 10.2 still saw the clips as untouchable, with matching JPEG files. Obviously, not a card thing.

Paul

Ricky Sharp April 24th, 2015 06:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Something is really goofy with Pro Video Formats 2.0.1 update. I keep installing it (via the App Store app) and once even directly by downloading the .pkg file.

But the App Store app continues to show it as an available update. Anyone else seeing this?

Paul Hardy April 24th, 2015 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricky Sharp (Post 1884402)
Something is really goofy with Pro Video Formats 2.0.1 update. I keep installing it (via the App Store app) and once even directly by downloading the .pkg file.

But the App Store app continues to show it as an available update. Anyone else seeing this?

Seems like a common problem - this is a workaround courtesy of 'rgilman' over at FCP.co

Here's the workaround:
1) You download the Pro Video Formats package directly from Apple.
2) Open that package in Pacifist and then use Pacifist to install it.

Worked perfectly for me!

Ricky Sharp April 24th, 2015 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Hardy (Post 1884404)
Seems like a common problem - this is a workaround courtesy of 'rgilman' over at FCP.co

Here's the workaround:
1) You download the Pro Video Formats package directly from Apple.
2) Open that package in Pacifist and then use Pacifist to install it.

Worked perfectly for me!

Thank you! Fixed my issue as well. I was working with Apple support, but we couldn't get it fixed. This saved me from having to call their Enterprise support (was the next step).

Note to self: probably should become a member of FCP.co

Ricky Sharp April 24th, 2015 11:20 AM

I just recorded a 5-second clip (color bars and tone) with my X70. Then filed a new bug report with Apple against FCP X 10.2 and Pro Video Formats 2.0.1. I attached a zip of my memory card.

If the outcome will be to simply close the bug without any information as to why, I will pursue one final option which is to use a DTS (developer tech support) incident. I get 4 of those per year. My aim is to find out exactly why these bugs are being closed when obviously the footage still cannot be imported. But DTS is primarily for code-level support (i.e. writing software). So they may not be too keen on this particular usage.

Paul Anderegg April 25th, 2015 12:56 AM

They probably don't consider incompatibility as a bug. That's like saying your CD plater not playing DVD's is a bug! :)

Paul

Mike Griffiths April 25th, 2015 08:33 AM

Still can't work it out in my simple brain. Adobe CC, Lightworks, Catalyst browse/prepare etc can do it. It can't be that difficult to sort out can it and I thought these IT guys got paid lots of money?
Would anyone like to respond? I'm a simple person!!!!!:)