PMW-X70 owner's manual download link at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old September 28th, 2014, 02:53 PM   #1
Trustee

PMW-X70 owner's manual download link

I just placed an order for an X70 a few minutes ago after locating the following link to the user manual.

http://www.sony.co.uk/pro/support/at...tionmanual.pdf

The darn little camera has a full set of picture, gamma, even color matrix adjustments. :-)

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2014, 05:47 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: PMW-X70 owner's manual download link

Paul - I've been following with interest your posts about your CX900 on several forums. There is a lot of interest in the X70, but so far the footage has been strangely inconsistent. Much of it shows a real lack of sharpness and it's hoped that this is just due to user error. Also, I've not seen any footage by anyone who really knows how to dial in those extensive picture settings.

So, I'm looking forward to see what you can get out of this camera - I'm hoping it has more potential than the samples so far show. People are even starting to speculate that Sony has somehow botched the downres in-camera from the 4K sensor.

I don't know how long it will take to get the camera (Adorama already has it in stock) but please keep us posted.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2014, 06:39 PM   #3
Trustee

I actually ordered from Adorama because they had them in stock. Paid for 3 day air, so should be here by late this week.

I wouldn't expect any lesser performance from this camera as compared to my in hand CX900. The lack of ability to adjust for LED lighting in the limited white balance options screen is one of my main concerns about the AX100/CX900, but the user manual for the X70 seems to show full sets of matrix adjustments. I am not big on looking for a "style", or that flat gradable "film gamma", I simply want an out of the camera bag rig that has accurate colors, which amazingly is pretty hard to come by these days.

Besides the camera setting adjustments, the other cool thing I like is the handle. I normally keep my CX900 in my seat in my news vehicle at night to grab if there is a pursuit passing by or something I cannot conveniently get the big camera out of the trunk fast enough for. Right now, it is a PITA to "deploy" a light on top of my camera, and leaving the light and shotgun attached to the handle would allow me to have that handy point from the front seat rig, and change to a full on news camera with light by just slotting on the handle and tightening a screw. that's a big deal to me.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2014, 05:21 AM   #4
Major Player

Well, there's a lot of footage online that is (I think) out of focus, uses the Clear Image zoom, done in Auto so highlights are blown, etc.

Here's an example that was described as "bad" and showing "serious lack of detail."

I have an XF100 and do use all the picture settings and shoot *very* flat and work with it in post.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing what you think of the camera. I'm looking to upgrade my XF100 to something with a bit more zoom, larger sensor, a bit more sharpness, a bit better low light, 1080p60, and of course the 4K option later is a draw for me. This camera ticks all those with a very good price.

I love the handle too, and for me it will be great to be able to remove it for the times I'm not using the XLRs. Without that it will even pass as a tourist handy cam :-)
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2014, 07:05 PM   #5
Trustee

Just an FYI, the X70 viewfinder cup is fully compatible (removable) with the AX100/CX900, they share the exact same EVF assembly.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds