Camera turning on automatically at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old February 10th, 2015, 07:19 PM   #1
Major Player

Camera turning on automatically

Hey guys,

Apologies for this (probably) very basic question. I've looked online and in the manual, as well as through the menus on the camera itself... but can't seem to find a solution.

How do you stop the camera from turning off and on automatically when opening the LCD display or pulling out the view finder?

Thanks in advance.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015, 09:15 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Camera turning on automatically

Can't be done.
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2015, 01:47 AM   #3
Inner Circle

That's not entirely correct, if I pull out the viewfinder the camera start up and then I can open and close the viewfinder without the camera shutting off. When I open the lcd screen to start up the camera I can also pull out and push in the viewfinder without the camera shutting off.

What exactly are you trying to achieve?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2015, 02:27 AM   #4
Major Player

yeah it is kinda idiotic, and there is not much you can do. when you want to turn the camera off make sure than the VF is back in and push the on/off button and then close the screen.
Anthony Lelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2015, 03:09 AM   #5
Major Player

My practical adaptation for this camera's power scheme is to carry a spare battery with me. On more than one occasion I've accidently left the EVF extended and put the camera in the bag, only to find a couple hours later that it was still on, very warm and the battery nearly shot.

On a tripod, if I'm using the Vivitar 8-button remote, I've found that if I set the remote's power switch to OFF and open the LCD or EVF, the camera will power on for about 1 second, then shut itself back off. Might be useful in some situations.

I like using the NP-FV100, 3700 mAh battery. It's good for several hours. And carry a smaller one as backup.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2015, 03:11 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
That's not entirely correct, if I pull out the viewfinder the camera start up and then I can open and close the viewfinder without the camera shutting off. When I open the lcd screen to start up the camera I can also pull out and push in the viewfinder without the camera shutting off.

What exactly are you trying to achieve?
I just want to turn the camera on and off manually with the power button, not when I open and close the LCD display. I've never seen a camera that does it this way.. very odd.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2015, 04:54 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Yes, It's annoying the way they left out a on/off button, I often check true the viewfinder to make sure the camera is actually off.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2015, 09:59 AM   #8
Regular Crew

The green LED on the back tells you it's turned on... doesn't it?

Yes, I'd love a power button too, but other camcorders I've seen do the same thing. What's super-annoying here is that there IS a power button... under the display!
Atticus Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2015, 01:23 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Seems to me that this saves us another step in getting the camera ready to roll. Besides cleaning the screen, I cannot think of an occasion when you wouldn't want the camera to be on when the LCD has been opened. I never use the VF so I don't have any issues with this.
Mike Buckhout is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds