SD card issues at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old March 10th, 2015, 01:20 AM   #1
Major Player

SD card issues

Hi all,

I'm having issues with my SD cards not being able to recording in XAVC format.

I have tried the following cards: Sony UHS-3 94MB/s, and Sandisk Ultra 30MB/s.

With both cards, I get the error message "this media does not support the recording or playback of XAVC files".

Surely my memory cards are fast enough.. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 02:21 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: SD card issues

ciao,

no surprise about the Sandisk 30MB/s: it is actually too slow .
On the other hand, UHS3 by Sony is (should be) able to sustain XAVC data rate.
Have you tried the Sony card alone (either slot A or B) an then set the recording mode?
Did you let the camera format the card?
Had same experience here: eager to get the X70 up and running I slotted in some pretty fast SDHC - 45MB/s: no way! now the baby is happy with a Lexar Pro 1000x 150 MB/s!
Sauro Scroglieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 03:19 AM   #3
Major Player

Yep, I tried formatting the card with the camera and also just using 1 card. But even in 50i 25mbps mode, it won't work.

Interestingly, I use my Sandisk cards in another camera with a 50mbps codec.. so even the slower card should be fine.
Old March 10th, 2015, 12:16 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Are you sure it is an SDXC type card? Regular SD won't work according to the manual.

I use these - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1071443-REG/sony_sf64uz_tqn_64gb_sdhs_uhs_1_u3.html which seem to work fine.

I do have one (of four) that seems to crap out randomly, probably defective, but no problems getting it to start recording in 50mbps XAVC on my X70. I've since pulled that one out of rotation.
Mike Buckhout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 02:34 PM   #5
Major Player

Hm yes it seems that it's SDHC:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/917685-REG/sony_sf32ux_tqn_32gb_sdhc_uhs_1_memory_card.html
But still, 95MB/s is plenty to handle the 50mbps bitrate. 50mbps is only 6.25MB/s.
Old March 10th, 2015, 03:17 PM   #6
Inner Circle

You HAVE to use SDXC, SDHC will not work, regardless of whether they are "fast enough". Same for AX100, RX10, RX100 if recording XAVCS...

Basically you need 64G and up fast cards, though I've got a couple "slow" 64G SDXC cards that do seem to work OK - it's all about that "X"!

I did some testing on various cards I've collected so far, by shooting still bursts til the RX "choked" (some would only shoot 8 or 9 before stopping, only fast cards made the rated 10 shot burst), and then timed the write time from cache... pretty scary seeing times varying from around 15 seconds up to 60+ depending on the card before the camera cleared the cache and returned to "ready". I didn't time overly scientifically, but the differences in card speeds were rather glaring! And yes, I had some smaller "high speed" cards that could definitely "keep up", and indeed were faster than my "slow" XC cards... but aren't XC, so they won't "work" for any of the XAVCS Sonys...

Not sure why there is a "line" between 32G SDHC and 64G SDXC, but I have yet to see any "small" XC memory...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 04:04 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks for the info Dave. Looks like I'll be sticking to AVCHD for now.
Old March 10th, 2015, 07:08 PM   #8
Major Player

I have 3 of these from this vendor and have filled them to the max 8 or 9 times and they've behaved perfectly with an ax100 imax bitrate xavc-s and 4k dual mode as well
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Transcend-SDX...item1e8bc3bc27
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 07:28 PM   #9
Major Player

SDXC come formatted as exfat. Sdhc are fat32. You can use Sdhc if you format it in your computer to exfat and record 4k on it.
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 08:48 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monday Isa View Post
SDXC come formatted as exfat. Sdhc are fat32. You can use Sdhc if you format it in your computer to exfat and record 4k on it.
Thanks for the tip. But I just tried that, no luck :(
Old March 11th, 2015, 05:20 AM   #11
Major Player

Interesting. It worked for me formatting to exfat. I received the tip from a user on this forum who did the same thing. Only SDXC then for your camera. Good luck
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 06:08 AM   #12
Major Player

I use the same Transcend cards that Bruce linked to above (got them from B&H though) - no problems.
David Dixon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds