X70 user guide - filling in missing pieces at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old March 14th, 2015, 10:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

X70 user guide - filling in missing pieces

I'm currently investigating the PXW-X70. The various reviews from users on this forum have really been helpful. And I've also read through Sony's user guide, but found some details missing.

First, shall I assume this unit has a shutter option of 1/48 when in 24p (23.976p)? All I see in the manual is the min/max shutter for 60i and 50i. My assumption is that in 60i mode with 24p framerate, you'd have at least these shutter options:

1/6, 1/12, 1/24, 1/48, 1/96? (or 1/100?)

Second, the color bar and tone option section doesn't mention the duration of the bars/tone. So one would need to first switch it on, then manually switch off? Was thinking it may be nice that when set on, it would record the bars/tone for a few seconds, then automatically turn itself off.

Finally the section of the guide on "Adjusting the exposure" (page 41) is quite confusing. If I read it correctly, it simply means that when in manual mode, you can have one, two or all three settings in manual mode (remaining settings in auto). Is that correct? Why Sony attempted to use a state-transition diagram to describe that is a mystery.

Thanks for any assistance on these questions.
Ricky Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2015, 06:39 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: X70 user guide - filling in missing pieces

In answer to your queries:
Yes shutter speed goes: 1/6, 1/12, 1/24, 1/25, 1/40, 1/48, 1/50, 1/60, 1/96, 1/100...

Tone/color bars remain on until turned off in the menu.

In manual mode you can select to have iris, gain, shutter and white balance set to manual or automatic independently.
Plus you can also choose to set AE Shift (Auto Exposure compensation) from +2 to -2
All these settings do make this camcorder quite useful in run and gun situations!
Rob Hargreaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2015, 06:44 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank for you very much for clarifying, Rob!
Ricky Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2015, 08:36 PM   #4
Trustee

If you look at the buttons on the side (lower area), those are for iris, gain, and shutter. Each one is adjusted manually by the same small dial up in front of them. You can press each one to toggle the stated feature into A mode. At the bottom of the LCD, you will see this A, and to the far right on the display, you can toggle into AWB, which is indicated by a lack of an icon. :)

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds