PXW-X70 or HDR-AX2000 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old March 22nd, 2015, 02:26 PM   #1
Major Player

PXW-X70 or HDR-AX2000

One is brand new, one is several years old (and brand new). My competition is using the AX2000. Why is it priced so much higher than the ultra HD and maybe 4K new cam?

What am I missing here?

Are we at a point in which every new cam we buy should be 4k?
Tim Paynter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2015, 04:18 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: PXW-X70 or HDR-AX2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Paynter View Post
One is brand new, one is several years old (and brand new). My competition is using the AX2000. Why is it priced so much higher than the ultra HD and maybe 4K new cam?

What am I missing here?

Are we at a point in which every new cam we buy should be 4k?
The AX2000 is a three-chip camera and has quite a bit of additional pro-level features over the X70 (e.g. three dedicated rings vs. one). In quickly looking at other 3-chip cams, they are all at a higher price point over single-chip ones.

As to every cam being 4K...

Personally, I do not want 4K. For what I do, it's complete overkill and the storage requirements for HQ footage would be too high for my liking. What the X70 appears to do is to make up each HD pixel from multiple photosites on its sensor. While I cannot find exact details on how, I think it would be similar to what Canon does with, for example, the C100 Mark II.

Thus, I'm hoping cams will continue to be non-4K (or offer very HQ HD options) for the foreseeable future. The X70 (which is on the top of my to-purchase list) has a killer 10-bit 4:2:2 codec. It's at such a sweet spot, in my opinion.
Ricky Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2015, 05:11 PM   #3
Major Player

Thank you, Ricky, very much. This is also my struggle. I don't need 4k now, and probably wound not even shoot in 4k if they reduced price and included the 4k with the cam. 4K downconverted might be nice now, BUT, I can see 4k not being just a fad and hence an eventual (probably very soon) need for 4k to keep up.

As to the lack of features, it is troubling to me a "professional" cam does not offer them, especially focus and zoom on separate rings as those are my main tasks during most of my shoots.

As you said, the price point makes this cam tempting anyway. Other cams have professional features and a long history of experienced users and reviews, at the same price point, but nothing like the hype on this cam. What to do...

I am also looking at the EA50 U because of price, the Panasonic X1000, the NX5U, and even the LS300. They all offer their benefits and drawbacks, some much larger, others much more expensive.

I guess, I don't want to buy "older" technology and have it be outdated really FAST (5 years would be too fast), I am seeing older cams really dropping in price so they are tempting, and the x70 at first appearances looks like a giveaway, but the lack of features and frequent bad reports sets me off. I would not want to buy the x70 and have it be out of date in less than 2 years...a well known TV reporter on this site appears to be getting ready to sell his X70 and buy up. That says a lot.
Old March 22nd, 2015, 07:12 PM   #4
Trustee

KFMB, the local CBS affiliate in San Diego, and the top rated news station in the market, still shoots with Sony PDW510 XDCAM Standard Def disk based cameras. When they break, they simply buy a used one on eBay for $250-500! IMHO, they look better than my stations JVC HM790's day or night, maybe not as "video sharp" in bright conditions, but they look "broadcast", not 10 year old home video like ours.

I think the perfect ENG camera out there now would be a used HPX600 with SD 22x lens. Around $8000-$8500 out the door on eBay. :)

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2015, 10:40 PM   #5
Major Player

I would love to have the cam, HPX600, but at that price, it would have to be donated to our program! Too rich for our blood. But, one day, who knows.
Old March 24th, 2015, 07:48 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
...I guess, I don't want to buy "older" technology and have it be outdated really FAST (5 years would be too fast), I am seeing older cams really dropping in price so they are tempting, and the x70 at first appearances looks like a giveaway, but the lack of features and frequent bad reports sets me off. I would not want to buy the x70 and have it be out of date in less than 2 years...a well known TV reporter on this site appears to be getting ready to sell his X70 and buy up. That says a lot.
Any camera you buy today will be "outdated" in 5 years time, probably much less. However, unless you drop it or have some bad luck, it will still work fine in 5 years time. If your business depends on offering clients "the next big thing", or you get your satisfaction from your hobby by experimenting with new technology, then you need to upgrade often, and build that into your budget. If not, and this is my philosophy, then only upgrade when an old camera is playing up or something comes along that you can really make use of. In the mean time, save a few dollars towards getting what you really want when you see it, rather than making do with a cheaper option. Don't worry that you have a 5-year old camera, so long as you are producing good results.

For example, a mate of mine just bought a 2 year old XF300 on eBay (for about the price of a new X70, IIRC) and is producing amazing images with it. But then again, the footage that he got from his old Panasonic TM900(?) handicam were amazingly good, too - until he dropped it!
Old March 24th, 2015, 08:33 AM   #7
Austinite

Let me know if you want to rent that PXW-X70. We have one. We can ship it out to you. These are our rental policies:

Omega - Rental Policies
Phil Goetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2015, 09:41 AM   #8
Regular Crew

IIRC the AX2000 is a 'prosumer' version of the professional level NX5 which strangely seems to be cheaper.

So if you're looking at an AX2000 - skip it & get an NX5 instead!
Paul Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2015, 02:44 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Hardy View Post
IIRC the AX2000 is a 'prosumer' version of the professional level NX5 which strangely seems to be cheaper.

So if you're looking at an AX2000 - skip it & get an NX5 instead!
I agree. I have had the NX5U since it was introduced. It has a few useful features missing on the AX2000 like smooth gain switching etc as well as the ability to use the FMU128 memory module. When I bought mine it was just $200 more than the AX2000 but came with bigger battery and a mic which was more than a $200 value as well as a discount coupon for the FMU128. Not sure why anyone bought the AX2000 at the time.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2015, 07:50 PM   #10
Major Player

Thanks for the advice, Mark about upgrading.

I am shooting with a PD 170 because the images are better than HD images from my FX7. I have learned, an older pro camera can far outshine a newer consumer camera. Or at least, they used to.

I am moving and the next place is going to be very tight quarters, so don't want to lug my DSR 1800 tape player with me. Plus, the workflow in being able to import files now instead of spending the time for the tape system is attractive.

I am working on graduating the business from a support arm of our radio program (cross platform radio and video) to shoot short documentaries and maybe more, so would like to increase my capability.

We do community based reporting on the thinnest budget imaginable to mostly the Latino and minority market. Because of the budget, I have to consider every purchase a lot more than most people do.

I read as many posts as I can about different cams and the shortfall each cam has. I have been intrigued with the discussion on the EA50. Like a child who is attracted to shiny things, I am a videographer who is attracted to a bargain, and the EA50 seems like a hell of a deal and a major step above the current system. Problem? Probably not very practical for the run and gun we do. The PXW 70, lacking a dedicated focus ring is a problem but it seems like a hell of a bargain.

I will look at the NX5U again. Thanks each of you for your replies.
Old March 25th, 2015, 09:54 PM   #11
Major Player

One other thought. If everything I buy is going to be outdated in 5 years maybe I should just wait five more years...

Just kidding!
Old April 2nd, 2015, 11:55 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
The PXW 70, lacking a dedicated focus ring is a problem but it seems like a hell of a bargain.
X70 has a switch to go between zoom or focus on the ring, but it also has zoom rockers and you can hook up a VariZoom via the LANC input to do both as well. Also, many people seem to be using the touch to focus feature on this cam to get quick focus, but I haven't tried that myself.
Mike Buckhout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2015, 02:23 PM   #13
Major Player

X70 price drop

Also, consider the X70 has just received a price decrease... it's now $1999 at BH and Adorama.

x70 | B&H Photo Video
Old April 2nd, 2015, 05:31 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Root View Post
Also, consider the X70 has just received a price decrease... it's now $1999 at BH and Adorama.
Wow; didn't see a price drop coming. Good news!

And this looks like Sony's doing rather than say just a sale at B&H and Adorama. Sony's list price (US) is now $2,249. I believe it was $2,499:

Sony Pro Site

So at least in the US, Sony dropped the price by $250. B&H (and Adorama?) took that a bit further to $300 off their older price.
Ricky Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2015, 06:45 PM   #15
Major Player

I'm guessing maybe they've got new versions coming out in the near future.

The AX100 price was dropped to $1698 several weeks ago.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds