Audio Channels on X70 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old March 24th, 2015, 08:40 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Audio Channels on X70

Hi Folks

Does anyone know if it possible to record audio on one channel with an XLR input and the other channel using the internal mic. Can't see anything obvious.

Thanks
Jon Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2015, 09:39 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Audio Channels on X70

no, unfortunately on the X70 we can only select between XLR or internal (or the multiport microphone). But it will be one or the other. For ambient and backup I use a sony cs3 with a rode vxlr adapter. the cs3 is small enough to be attached to the cord of the shotgun and works very well. Not my idea, somebody posted this solution and it works.
Anthony Lelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2015, 03:16 AM   #3
Regular Crew

No you can't unfortunately.

The menu options are basically......

Auto (Select ONE of the below)
Int Mic (Stereo mic on main body)
MI Shoe Mic (XLR's)
Stereo Mini Mic (Stereo Jack plug)

Also the X70 only records to 2 channels and using 1 XLR & the built in mic would be 3 channels, so I don't think it'll ever happen even in a FW update.

Your best bet may be to just get an omni directional mic with an XLR output & simply run that on top of the camera - the quality should be better than the internal stereo mic as well.

Good Luck!
Paul Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2015, 04:35 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Paul

Thanks for that. I suspected that was the case but just in case I was missing something. Looks like an additional mic on the cards. Like having one channel running the internal mic, if it's not already being used, to pick up ambient sound. Always been possible on previous cams which is why I thought I might be missing something obvious. Ach well.
Jon Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2015, 08:04 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I remember having an AKG microphone 20 years ago that was about 2" long & was basically an XLR connector with a mic on the other end. I think it was an instrument mic, but I used it as a talkback mic on an XLR gooseneck extender.

It may be worth looking on eBay for something similar as it would simply plug into the XLR socket on the camera & give you basic ambient sound track, be neat & tidy and not tie up a hot shoe.

The nearest I can find on a quick scoot around is a Sennheiser e 614 but the diameter may be slightly too big to fit into the X70's XLR socket but without seeing one in the flesh I can't be sure.

Anyway - just a thought & good luck.
Paul Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2015, 02:08 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Cheers Paul

Yeah, the hunt for a small mic has already begun :) Will see what's out there.
Jon Robertson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds