Catalyst Production Suite? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old April 14th, 2015, 03:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Catalyst Production Suite?

I just found out today that Sony are bringing out a 'Catalyst Production Suite "which contains Prepare and a new 'Edit' It claims tight integration between Prepare and Edit and claims to cope with X70 files. I have only seen the promo on the Sony website. Does anyone have any more information? If this really is true, it might be a good way forward.
Old April 14th, 2015, 07:28 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Catalyst Production Suite?

I actually saw the demo today at Sony booth,basic editing software,cuts dissolves,mainly for converting and or exporting xavcl files.there are a number of conversion options
very easy to use
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2015, 01:48 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: Catalyst Production Suite Introductory video

There is a Sony video from NAB where more detail of Edit is given. To confirm,as Jim says, it is a relatively simple editing tool. It's here
https://youtu.be/h3YI4BJr28M?list=PL...QuxXsB_7WCMdLG
Old April 16th, 2015, 01:54 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Having to deal with extra software to get footage into FCP X isn't ideal. But if I end up with the X70 and Apple/Sony refuse to work out direct import issues, I suppose this would have to do.

Question: Anyone have details on the exact flavor of ProRes that can be exported? I've looked at their detailed specs here: Catalyst Prepare In-Depth, but it just says ProRes.

For my needs, I would mainly want ProRes LT (many long programs, so file size an issue). But for some specific projects, I could see using higher bit-rate flavors.
Ricky Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2015, 05:59 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Pro Res LT is there are as are a number of other resolutions of Pro Res.
Dite will seamlessly take in files and folders from Prepare so it's not quite the same as two programmes, but it seems to be a relaively simple NLE and I suspect that sometimes further work in another NLE might be necessary. I'll wait for the trial.
Old April 17th, 2015, 06:24 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thank you Mike. I'm looking forward to the trial as well.

Although, with the $200 price tag plus the possibility of the X70 going back to $2,299 (I found B&H's $1,999 price now expiring on April 19), that could be an extra $500 to shell out for an X70 solution. I'm hoping the pricing expiration at B&H is just a glitch.
Ricky Sharp is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds