Sony Posts First PXW-X70 4K Video - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old April 20th, 2015, 11:33 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Sony Posts First PXW-X70 4K Video

I know it's a beauty reel, but the hyper-disciplined nature of the shooting bothers me a bit. I'm tempted to think of the X70 as a manual-only camera; as in, it looks stunning when you're there to prevent that weird clipping, bounce in some fill, or shoot on a heavily overcast day. Which is what I'm seeing here. (Or am I being unfair?)

What I'd like to see from a 4K-enabled X70 would be a project along the lines of that "Battle of Ages" short done on the new Canon. Something with rapidly changing conditions and over-the-top movement.

I'm starting to think that if I want detail, I buy an X70, but if I want dynamic range, I buy an XC10 (and pay a small fortune in media.)
Kris Kohuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2015, 12:01 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Kohuth View Post
I'm starting to think that if I want detail, I buy an X70, but if I want dynamic range, I buy an XC10 (and pay a small fortune in media.)
The XC10 may have a stop or two more DR than the X70. If using the cams to record HD, I think you may be able to push Sony's footage more than the XC10 (10-bit vs. 8-bit). So perhaps final footage DR would be more on par? I've ready that you can increase the black level a bit on the X70 and underexpose by a stop. Then increase levels in post; that should allow you to deal with the highlights better.

Also note that while the XC10 has a built-in ND, I believe it's more automatic (may only engage at say f/4 or narrower like their consumer offerings). Having choice of 2, 4 and 6 stops of ND on the Sony (and independent of iris) is ideal.

I'll be getting my X70 later this week so will begin shooting in various conditions. And then testing how much I can push the footage in post. Although, will only be shooting in HD (not updating at all to 4K).
Ricky Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2015, 02:40 PM   #18
New Boot

XAVC 2160/24p 60
Attached Thumbnails
Sony Posts First PXW-X70 4K Video-4k.jpg  
Yuri Gershberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2015, 08:04 PM   #19
Major Player

Chris,

I downloaded the 1080p clip you linked to and viewed it on both 1080p and UHD displays and here's what I saw:

- no moire or noticeable aliasing on both but noticeably soft on the UHD screen (as expected)
- The 4K YouTube version looked decidedly sharper on both though there were some slight, maybe compression, artifacts on the UHD screen. On the 1080p screen it looked gorgeous and no noticeable moire or aliasing.
- Fine details on some subjects like tree leaves in the opening shots and texture of fabrics in many shots were a little smeared in your 1080p clip when viewed at 100% on the 1080p screen. Those same details were more defined on both screens in the 4K YouTube clip.

I think the benefits of 4K resolution and color sampling headroom are undeniable at 1080p. What I don't know yet is whether the 4K coming out of the upgraded X70 will be better than or only the same as 4K from my AX100.
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2015, 08:28 PM   #20
Inner Circle

I think it will be pretty much the same as the AX100 but in a mxf wrapper just like the long GOP of the PXW-Z100. The camera has the advantage of the picture profiles though. The PXW-Z100 UHD long GOP is 8 bit 4:2:0 I think the X70 will be the same but limited to 30p . Hardly think they would give a better long GOP spec than the PXW-Z100 that costs over $2000 more. The FDR-AX1 and the PXW-Z100 have the advantage of 60P with the PXW-Z100 also an intra frame mode with ridiculous data rate !!!

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2015, 01:19 AM   #21
Major Player

Hi friends, I don't understand fine if Sony PXW-X70 can rec 50p in 4K. My Sony AX100 can rec 25p only. What a pity!
Thanks
Old May 4th, 2015, 06:07 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Moroni View Post
Hi friends, I don't understand fine if Sony PXW-X70 can rec 50p in 4K. My Sony AX100 can rec 25p only. What a pity!
Thanks
Where did you see that the X70 can do 50P in 4K ?

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2015, 09:07 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Moroni View Post
Hi friends, I don't understand fine if Sony PXW-X70 can rec 50p in 4K.
Sony stated clearly that 4k will be 23.98FPS, 25FPS, and 29.97FPS only:

News Shooter | Newsshooter At BVE 2015- Sony Announce New Upcoming Firmware Release For The FS7
Atticus Lake is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds