X70 - Internal Plus HDMI/SDI Recording? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old April 21st, 2015, 10:53 AM   #1
Regular Crew

X70 - Internal Plus HDMI/SDI Recording?

When using the X70 with an external recorder, can you simultaneously record to the unit's internal media slots?

Details...

My X70 is about to arrive, and for now will be recording to both slots internally with 1080p XAVC-L. This will require transcoding until Sony/Apple fix the issues. For my needs, I will be transcoding to ProRes 422 (maybe also LT or HQ).

In the future, I could see adding on say the Blackmagic Video Assist unit (slated to release this July). That would allow me to get "first generation" ProRes footage. But the unit only has a single SDXC slot. So I'm hoping that I could capture XAVC-L in camera at the same time in order to have a second copy (albeit in a different format).

Thank you.
Ricky Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2015, 12:16 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: X70 - Internal Plus HDMI/SDI Recording?

HDMI/SDI output are live when the camera is ON, regardless of recording or not, so you should be able to record internal and external at the same time. I had planned on doing the same with the Atomos Ninja Blade for greenscreen work, but the XAVC files were good enough that I never needed to.
Mike Buckhout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2015, 01:07 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Mike. Didn't know that the output signal would always be there (though I know from reading that one needs to choose either HDMI or SDI).

Anyhow, will test this soon by hooking up the cam to my monitor via HDMI and then attempt to record something.
Ricky Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2015, 02:27 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Be aware if you are using 3G-SDI, Blackmagic only supports Level B 3G-SDI. Fortunately, Sony also stuck to Level B so it should be a non-issue, unless you have converters, as converters other than Blackmagic's default to Level A, which is what the industry should be using, except for Blackmagic and Sony for some reason.

Hopefully down the line if you're doing a live production with a Level A only switcher, Sony will have a 3G-SDI level chooser in the menus. It currently does not exist in the X70, but it does on the higher end equipment like the X200 and even the RX50 deck. By default, assume Level B.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2015, 03:27 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
Be aware if you are using 3G-SDI, Blackmagic only supports Level B 3G-SDI. Fortunately, Sony also stuck to Level B so it should be a non-issue, unless you have converters, as converters other than Blackmagic's default to Level A, which is what the industry should be using, except for Blackmagic and Sony for some reason.
Good to know, Jack. Thank you!

Things are never easy, huh?
Ricky Sharp is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds