Anyone figure out how to do WiFi on X70 v2.0? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old June 6th, 2015, 08:44 AM   #1
Trustee

Anyone figure out how to do WiFi on X70 v2.0?

I can register to multiple WiFi HotSpots successfully, and I can X out of the screen where they were just selected from. After that, no indication of WiFi or menu selections for it. Is there supposed to be some sort of icon? I set all my buttons for the various streaming functions, but they do nothing. I think Sony may have botched the WiFi access point in the firmware. You register, it says successful, you click OK, then your only option is an X out of that menu that leaves you with no indication of any WiFi operation, and no further menu options for the function. The Japanese/English v2.0 manual is no help.

I've got an engineer in my TOC awaiting my activation of the streaming function for evaluation, if I can figure this stupid WiFi out. :)

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2015, 03:35 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Anyone figure out how to do WiFi on X70 v2.0?

I have plodded along far enough to get on my WIFI at home for both FTP and Streaming. I have entered destination settings as well. I have a proxy file waiting in the Thumbnails... I can find the way to attempt to do FTP and Stream in the X70 menus...but I apparently need to configure the "receiving end" better than I have. No joy yet! I will keep plugging. The instructions have me babbling...

The way that I read it, we have the ability to FTP the clips, and stream our recorded (proxy mostly) clips (not live), to local and Internet destinations. That is, of course, not live streaming...not at this price! But could be good for quick reviews in the field.

I will see what 4K brings--no reason to reject it yet. I would only use it for cutouts or cropping only anyway...i don't do broadcast stuff. I am not worried about bitrates at this point. There are too many variables in the XAVC codecs and chipsets to be sure. I am simply looking for good usable frames with this camera. If it is bad, we will all know it soon.

I learned to suffer through the frustrations of video in the early 80's and then tape-based editing. UGH! Everything since has been apple pie. I learned to be patient...in the long run it all changes anyway---and continues to get more exciting. I'll work with what he have for the time being!
Bob Searl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2015, 08:07 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks Bob. Are you seeing any LCD/EVF indicators or icons for WiFi connected or status? I see the WiFi icon in the WiFi selection menu, but after X'ing out, nada. I don't know how to tell if something is wrong, it says it just registered with the selected HotSpot. :-|

Paul
Old June 6th, 2015, 08:49 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hello Paul,

Yes, I am...if I understand your question. If I can go out on a limb here, it seems to me that there are two, if not three parts to making FTP and Streaming work. The first is to set to "get on" the camera end of the network. We prepare for that by going to Menu/Network Set and then to either the Wired or Wi-Fi settings and entering the proper set up stuff. That is reasonably straight forward. Sounds like you are okay there.

Then we have to go to the same Network Set menu, but to the FTP Transfer and Streaming parts of the menu system. What we do next will establish what happens when we get on the network in actual battle conditions. Once there (Network Set/Streaming, for example), we first need to set up our preset destination options and configuration. They allow three presets for FTP and three for streaming. Set up at least one. Make sure that you specify the size and Destination SETtings for streaming. That would be your host name and port at the "far" end. The host name is the local IP address of your destination (ie, Macbook or iMac on the destination LAN) . Setting up at least one configuration for eventual use, and selecting that as the preset has to be accomplished before it will work.

Menu then takes you back to "home page". All seems normal at this point.

Now if you use the Menu button to go to Network Set again, and then to STREAMING for example, the action gets interesting. Once there, push the Execute button (next to record, right?)... It will then ask you to select either the WIFI or wired connection (that you had previously set up). Hit the EXEC button on WIFI (for example). The screen says "Preparing" and then displays the name of the destination network it is connecting to. Then that name disappears and there are two options at the lower left...one MENU to end the process, and the other, ....and here is where I fall off the reservation... It seems to say to press the Thumbnail button to start the stream... Well, when i do..it says "streaming"... but NO CIGAR...nothing...NADA!

Yikes! That is as far as I got. <sigh>

Let me know of you got this far...maybe we can go beyond...I am out of ideas!

Bob
Old June 7th, 2015, 07:12 AM   #5
Trustee

There is nothing I can do to get EXECUTE to not be greyed out.

Paul
Old June 7th, 2015, 03:05 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Paul--it sounds like that you may not have your WIFI SETtings right. Are you able to enter the ACCESS POINT SETtings? Can you see the available WIFI networks listed? Your preset network should have a check mark visible in the entry when you select it in order to Stream or FTP. If it has not been set up correctly, then this won't ever get that far.

If you did all of this correctly, but had a problem with your signal's arrival at the destination, then it would tell you that you have a "Destination not set problem." Since you never got that far, I am assuming that you have a problem with your WIFI settings to get on your network.

I can get to my Destination, it seems to let me in, but I am at a loss as to what settings to enter on my iMac in order to "receive" and process either FTP of Streaming video.

I just haven't had the time to devote to this yet.

Bob
Old June 7th, 2015, 03:28 PM   #7
Trustee

Yeah, I've got a checkmark, even set it as priority. When I select it, it says registering, then registered. After that, I am at a loss as there are no icon indications of WiFi status, ya or nay.

Paul
Old June 7th, 2015, 04:17 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Paul - Sorry...let's keep trying...I don't get any WiFi status either until I go thru the steps actually to use it...

After you have both the WIFI registered and the destination preselected and then are back to the "normal" ready screen (you know what i mean...) and then press the MENU button followed by the STREAMING selection...

You should see a screen that has EXECUTE on the second line (not grayed), and the PRESET SELECT shown on the second line with your "preselect" selection already shown to the right. Highlight and press the EXECUTE entry...(assuming that you are not grayed out).

It is at that point that I get the prompt to "select a connection method"...the choices are "Wi-Fi" and "Wired LAN"...I highlight and select Wi-Fi...

Next screen says STREAMING and "preparing." After a brief delay (only seconds)...it displays the name of the Network that I pre-selected. This appears to tell me that I am connected to that Destination. Soon that disappears and I am at a screen overlay that says STREAMING and has" [MENU]: END [THUMBNAIL]: Stream Start" at the bottom left.

Do you get this far??
Bob
Old June 7th, 2015, 04:34 PM   #9
Trustee

Nope, cannot get EXECUTE in the menu to NOT be greyed out. I have it populated with IP and port number for all 3 presets. I went there after "connecting" to my mobile phones hotspot, which I might mention has a crown on it. :)

Paul
Old June 7th, 2015, 05:52 PM   #10
Regular Crew

The saga continues...

I hate to ask...but...Perhaps you are violating the "Sony Streaming Laws..."

Just checking---
At the time you are trying to stream...
You are not recording or playing back something already...or in Thumbnail view...
Your REC/OUT SETtings are not any of the forbidden ones...like AVCHD 1080/60p, 1080p/50p, 720/60p, 720/50p...or, ummm <cough> ..DV...right?

Bob
Old June 7th, 2015, 06:13 PM   #11
Trustee

XAVC 720p60, not playing back or recording, just going straight to the streaming menu after Xing out of selecting my active WiFi HotSpot. :(

I would submit a help ticket with Sony but their website is broken, it doesn't like CAPCHA input for me on any computer.

Paul
Old June 7th, 2015, 11:02 PM   #12
Trustee

Figured it out. Apparently, my camera can only do 640x360. I tried 720p60 and 1080p60 in all flavors of XAVC, and I never get an EXECUTE option when 1280x720 is selected. The mini manual states that 1280x720 is available for 1080p, and 360p is only streaming option for 720p60 codec.
Shameful, I shoot for ABC, so we use 720p.

Paul
Old June 8th, 2015, 12:12 AM   #13
Trustee

Old June 9th, 2015, 12:30 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Hello,

is possible use stream from x70 in vlc or another sw? Or need something like Tricaster?
Zenes Petrusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2015, 08:41 PM   #15
Trustee

I don't know the answer to that. I am beaming into a Teradek receiver, which takes in streams from my stations HM650's and my X180 with nothing but an IP and a Port entry.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds