Couple questions about newly purchased X70.. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old June 7th, 2015, 03:46 PM   #1
Major Player

Couple questions about newly purchased X70..

Hey guys, just ordered an X70. Main purpose is travel videos with an eye on possible broadcast. I plan on shooting at the highest 1080 bitrate, probably either 30p or 60p (any suggestions which would be better with THIS camera?). I read through a bunch of threads about this camera, a couple questions linger:

1) Has it been determined or shown that the 1080p 4:2:2 10-bit is INDEED 10-bit? (that's the factor that tipped the scale towards the X70, plus the larger sensor)

2) How does the footage hold up after editing?

3) Any suggestions on camera settings for shooting in low light?

I was considering a used PMW 200, but needed something more compact in the x70-ish size range.

Thanks

Last edited by Mark Goodsell; June 7th, 2015 at 05:18 PM.
Mark Goodsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2015, 07:28 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Couple questions about newly purchased X70..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Goodsell View Post
1) Has it been determined or shown that the 1080p 4:2:2 10-bit is INDEED 10-bit? (that's the factor that tipped the scale towards the X70, plus the larger sensor)
Yes, it is indeed 10-bit 4:2:2. Yes, I know there are some wacko consipracy theories out there, but it is. You can see this by analysing the output, e.g. with ffmpeg:

Stream #0:0: Video: h264 (High 4:2:2), yuv422p10le(tv, bt709/bt709/iec61966-2-4),
1920x1080 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 29.97 fps, 29.97 tbr, 29.97 tbn, 59.94 tbc

but more to the point you can see it in the quality of the video. I'm coming from an FS700, and to my eye the image from the X70 is clearly deeper and richer.

Quote:
2) How does the footage hold up after editing?
I haven't done a ton of grading, but I'd say well (again coming from the FS700).

Quote:
3) Any suggestions on camera settings for shooting in low light?
Nothing special I can think of... mabe others will chime in here. Don't forget to turn off the ND filters.. ;-) (Seriously, Ive made that mistake... couldn't understand why it was so dark). Using gain at +15db produces some noise, but really quite minor, and if you can use neat video or the like to treat it, it might not be a problem at all.

I've got some tests, if you haven't seen them, including low-light, here:

https://vimeo.com/channels/832674

Cheers
Atticus Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2015, 12:32 PM   #3
Regular Crew

2) Assuming you are shooting XAVC, and have low noise in the source then it will do very well. I've shot a bunch of greenscreen and have been able to adjust skin tone and levels in After Effects and Premiere Pro with great results. Also keep in mind that with this 10-bit footage you can now work in 16-bit color mode with your effects instead of 8-bit (if they support it), which opens up a significantly finer level of control.
Mike Buckhout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 08:22 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the replies, guys. That helps out. Hopefully it'll arrive today and I can start playing with it.

Thanks,
Old June 10th, 2015, 06:11 PM   #5
Trustee

Make sure you set the BLACK GAMMA for low light. The recommended setting is HIGH +7, but I recently (upon switching to XAVC) switched to LOW +7, which brought up the black stretch in the darker areas of my picture. I shoot 100% at night, at 1/60-60p, so I run out of gain frequently, and the black gamma (black stretch) brings out picture that would be buried otherwise. With the 10 bit 4:2:2 codec, I can then push the blacks down in post comfortably without problem.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 07:22 PM   #6
Major Player

Paul,

Thank you for the great suggestion. Those are the kind of tips I need. I will try that. Would you run those settings in daylight too?

Any other settings suggestions?

Thanks,
Old June 10th, 2015, 07:37 PM   #7
Trustee

I don't have enough experience shooting in daylight to give advice on that. I tend to like higher contrast in daytime footage though, makes it pop to my eye. At night, higher contrast with the X70's blow out issue is problematic.

The great thing about the X70 menu settings are that you can toggle through them very fast while observing the results. The selections are in the 1-10 range, unlike the 1-100 range of the higher end cameras, so little adjustments show visibly in the VF immediately.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds