XAVC Import to FCP X - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old June 28th, 2015, 11:14 PM   #16
Mustang. Legend.

Re: XAVC Import to FCP X

For what it's worth, I've used XAVC extensively on my F55 in HD and 4K and I find it to be a very elegant compression algorithm... plenty of room to color grade, plenty of ones and zeroes without artifacting yet manageable files sizes.
Jody Eldred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2015, 09:19 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Sharp View Post
For the vast majority of my footage, I plan to record in 29.97. And if I opt to toss the original XAVC-L, the total storage requirements are the same comparing XAVC-L vs. ProRes solutions.
Oops, my calculations contain a flaw :) I didn't account for the fact that if working with XAVC-L footage, the transcoded ProRes (optimized media) need not be stored indefinitely. Thus, space-wise, it is still better to import the original XAVC-L clips.

Updated calculations based on 50 Mbps 1080p XAVC-L:

22 GB/h (original copy from SD card transferred to the computer; this can be purged depending upon how critical the footage is).

22 GB/h (FCP X's copy of the footage after import)

66 GB/h (29.97) or 123 MB/h (59.94) of Scratch drive storage for transcoded media

22 GB/h backup of FCP X's imported media

22 GB/h backup of original SD card data if needed.

18 GB/h of output (Blu-Ray @ 35 Mbps and Web @ 6 Mbps)

18 GB/h of backup of the output files (I plan to start backing these up too now)

Most cases will involve purging of the original card data after a while and no backup needed of that either. So this gives just 40 GB/h of storage on my main drives and the same 40 GB/h on my backup drives. Not bad at all.

If needing to keep and back up the original SD card data, this jumps to 62 GB/h each for the main drive storage and backup drive storage.
Ricky Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2015, 01:45 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Hi Ricky-- yeah, I have found that the ProRes files continue to be much larger, in every case, as well. I will go back to archiving the camera native files, and get rid of the ProRes files after editing. That's what I had been doing before with AVCHD anyway.

I still haven't made up my mind on editing native XAVC files versus ProRes however. Right now I am sticking with ProRes, unless I find out that there is an advantage to editing in the camera native files format.
Bob Searl is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds