Anyone using Sony's faster U3 SDXC cards? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old June 26th, 2015, 02:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Anyone using Sony's faster U3 SDXC cards?

Noticed that B&H is carrying a faster line of Sony's UHS-I Class 10 U3 SDXC cards. Their original line (still for sale) has read speeds of 94 MBps and write speeds of 45 MBps. This new line is more costly (though not too much). Read speed the same, but write speeds now at 70 MBps.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1151528-REG/sony_sfg2ux2_tq_256gb_sd_card_r94mb_s_w70mb_s.html

I've only ever used Sandisk and am tempted to get their 256 GB version. Write speeds are at 90 MBps on those cards.

For what I need in my X70 (maximum of 1080p 59.94 with XAVC-L 50 Mbps), I know any of these U3 cards would be good.

But, curious if anyone here is using the Sony line (especially their new line) as I'd be tempted to go with that product. The Sony 256 is about $28 cheaper than the SanDisk. One thing drawing me to the Sony is that the SanDisk cards have recovery software good for just one year of use. Assuming the Sony license is lifetime? To date, I've never had to use recovery software, knock on wood.

At the end of the day, I don't need to save the $28. I'm perfectly happy with SanDisk, but thought I'd consider the Sony cards too.
Ricky Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 07:00 PM   #2
Mustang. Legend.

Re: Anyone using Sony's faster U3 SDXC cards?

Yes, and the SanDisk as well in X70 shooting 4K. No problems.
Jody Eldred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2015, 06:04 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank you!
Ricky Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2015, 11:54 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I use Sandisc and Sony high speed cards, I have a lot of faith in the Sonys.
Old July 9th, 2015, 05:10 AM   #5
Major Player

got a Transcend 128GB Transcend Ultimate SDXC UHS-I U3 (95MB/sec read - 60MB/sec write) seems to be doing the job so far, and have a 64 Gb on the way too.
The Sony offering around here were very expensive.
Old July 9th, 2015, 06:49 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I have purchased 5 of the Sony U3 Class 10 64GB SDXC cards, (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1071443-REG/sony_sf64uz_tqn_64gb_sdhs_uhs_1_u3.html)
One of them had a defect where the file would randomly not save when I stopped a recording, instead showing the slashing card icon indefinitely. Sent this one back to Sony and am waiting for a replacement.

Had they been available sooner, I think I would have gotten a 128GB card to use in Slot B as a backup and use 64's in Slot A for more daily use.
Mike Buckhout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2015, 07:23 AM   #7
Regular Crew

My Sony Expert SDXC 128GB 94MB/s card is corrupt. I cannot transfer the data to the PC, error C:13:01 appears. The instructions to restore the card are 1. Initialize the camera, 2. Remove the battery for 1 minute, 3. Formate the card.

I cannot perform the 3. item without loosing my data. Is there a possibility to cecover them?
Roland Achini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2015, 08:44 PM   #8
Major Player

I just bought some 64G U3's 94-read/70-write. They were priced 'right' from B&H, like $32 or something like that. I've only used one so far shooting 1080P 50 mb/sec, seems to work fine. Normally I buy Sandisk high quality cards, but Sony generally has pretty good quality. I guess I should probably take the others out of the pack and verify they work ok.

On the 256G cards, if you're using them for 1080p work, be careful of the 600 file (scenes) limitation, or your wasting your money. Probably perfect for 4k though.
Old August 22nd, 2015, 02:27 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks. I do lots of continuous shooting on vacations, so won't hit the 600 file limit. I wanted the extra convenience of having just one set of cards.

But alas, it's all kinda moot. Hurt my back a bit and am not taking the X70 on my upcoming vacation. But I'm will take it out on future ones.

Still, very happy with the cards. And good to hear about Sony's own brand being very solid.
Ricky Sharp is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds