X70 4K and FCPX at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old September 2nd, 2015, 08:36 PM   #1
Major Player

X70 4K and FCPX

I got my 4K upgrade earlier but have just now gotten around to testing it. For the light grading I do, it's encouraging so far that despite no 4:2:2 10 bit the 4K holds up well. And while not a world shattering increase in fine detail, the improvement *is* definitely there compared to 1080p.

But, after finally getting native 1080p ingest/editing in FCPX relatively recently, it seems now the 4K will not import. So, I'm back to converting to ProRes (with EditReady) if I've shot 4K. On the up side, the 4K ProRes files edit quite fluidly on my two year old top-line iMac w/Thunderbolt RAID.

Any opinions on this? My final delivery is Vimeo @ 1080p, and I know that editing the 4K clips in an HD timeline offers zooming/panning options. But if you want to preserve the most detail from the 4K clips do you edit in an HD or 4k timeline? If editing in 4K do you downsize the final export to 1080p or just upload 4K and let Vimeo deal with it? Does it really make any difference that you have noticed?

Thanks!
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2015, 06:15 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: X70 4K and FCPX

I've heard today's FCPX 10.2.2 update fixed the x70 4k input issue.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2015, 07:38 PM   #3
Major Player

Yes! It did add native import for 4K, along with several other undocumented small tweaks.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2015, 10:03 AM   #4
Regular Crew

It also imports both HD and 4K (XAVC) files that can now co-exist on the card. A reminder though, when using the Thumbnail viewer in camera, the playback mode on the in the upper right of the Thumbnail Screen must be correctly selected (as always) between the appropriate XAVC HD and XAVC QFHD modes.
Bob Searl is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds