New to x70 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old October 14th, 2015, 03:11 AM   #1
Tourist

New to x70

hey all,

I have just purchased the Sony PXW-x70.

I am a stringer in New Zealand, but looking into getting into other fields as a freelancer.

My question is, I have seen some pretty amazing footage produced by this camera and was wondering if anyone was happy to share tips and tricks on how to achieve this, im fairly new to the game and am happy to listen any advice.

An example of the work ive seen is from Paul Anderegg (not wanting to single anyone out but thats the "look" i am after)

Cheers in advance

Last edited by Sam Sword; October 14th, 2015 at 03:44 AM.
Sam Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2015, 07:15 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: New to x70

I recommend setting aside time to read back through the past several months of posts here. There are all kinds of tips, custom picture adjustments, etc. that are a great source. It's not a perfect camera, but for the cost it's an incredible value.

IMO, strengths are:
sharpness, clean gain (which allows surprisingly decent low light), handling, small size, shallower depth of field than traditional camcorders, quality of Clear Image zoom (not the same as the digital zoom), 10-bit 422 in HD is excellent for grading, 8-bit 420 in 4K still holds up surprisingly well

Pretty good but not amazing:
Autofocus, Image Stabilization

Weakest point:
Highlight handling - don't let those highs overexpose

And, although not everyone needs this, I would personally like to have more extensive controls in the Picture Profiles. My former camera was the Canon XF100, and I could go further in adjustments with that camera. Failing this, I'd like to have a true log setting for shooting even flatter than the PP settings allow.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2015, 12:25 PM   #3
Tourist

Re: New to x70

Sweet yea ill do that., yea for what i do (mostly web based) news gathering it will be more than enough. but will be good to have that higher standard for if i get stuuf that would be suitable for broadcast :)
Sam Sword is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds