long distance remote control X70 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old February 8th, 2016, 06:24 PM   #1
Major Player

long distance remote control X70

I'd like to use an X70 that has be be controlled over a distance of about 100 meters. Start/stop and zoom. The remote control RM-VPR1 is only some 15 inches long. Does anyone know a solution to connect this remote control to the camera with a kind of extension cable? Other options also welcome.
Old February 9th, 2016, 02:12 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: long distance remote control X70

Cees,

Maybe get three 100 foot extension cables, a LANC controller that has a headphone-style plug, and the two adapters to allow connection of the extension cable into the multi port. If you can find the appropriate adapters to allow you to plug your existing remote into the extension cable, then you wouldn't need to get the new remote. Just remember not to get any kind of LANC stuff that is identified for use with Panasonic LANC, since they went a different direction with the "standard" and Panny is not compatible with the Sony or Canon LANC accessories.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/282119-REG/VariZoom_VZ_EXT_L100_VZEXTL100_100_LANC_Extension.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/732729-REG/Vivitar_VIV_RC_800_8_Button_Remote_Control.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/861096-REG/Libec_A_3AV_LANC_AV_Adapter_Cable_for.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/913263-REG/sony_vmcavm1_multi_adapter_cable.html

If you want to save some money, you could always buy 100 meters of cable and solder on the jack and plug. If you go this route, I'd recommend getting decent quality cable so you minimize voltage drop.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2016, 02:38 AM   #3
Regular Crew

assuming you are looking for a wired connection you might google for "HDMI extender over patch cable";

most of them also repeat IR remote control commands over a CAT6 cross cable and brings back the HDMI output.

I did use a pair of them in the past to monitor a cam @ about 50mt

hope it helps

Edit my own post:
just recall I read about a becoming standard called HDbaseT: a couple of 100$ for a"state of the art" transmission system which includes 10Gbps bandwith (over 4K needs), 100Mb lan and infrared over 100mt Cat6 cable!

Last edited by Sauro Scroglieri; February 9th, 2016 at 08:42 AM.
Sauro Scroglieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2016, 11:47 AM   #4
Regular Crew

My Vari-zoom VZ Rock has a TRS connector on the end of the cable. Using adapters I made it fit the X70. I'll bet you could solder a couple of ends on to cat 5e cable and run it for quite a distance. I'm running the video signal of 4 cameras over 400 feet using one cat5e and video Balun's. Works great.

j
John Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2016, 02:26 PM   #5
New Boot

I have a positive experience extending the RM-VPR1 remote cable to 20m (to put on a crane)
by just cutting the wire and soldering in the extension. it takes 2 times of 8 very gentle wires
to solder.
Yuri Gershberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2016, 11:19 PM   #6
Trustee

I purchased a 25 meter 3.5-3.5mm male to male mini jack cable and then purchased some 3.5-2.5mm adapters and used them in conjunction with the aforementioned Sony VMC-AVM1 A/V R Adapter Cable and the Libec LANC/AV Adapter Cable for Sony Handycam Cameras A-3AV. Works fine for jib work,

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Attached Images

Christopher Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds