X70 Firmware- ETA?? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old June 9th, 2016, 11:27 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: X70 Firmware- ETA??

Some editing systems can smart render XDCAM, so the exports are instant with cuts only editing...........good for news and things needing speedy turnaround.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2016, 09:41 AM   #17
Trustee

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the reason why every other cheap Sony camcorder and ActionCam got 100mbp/s 4k a long time ago and the XDCAM X70 is still the only Sony product stuck with 60mbp/s today.

What is taking Sony so long with this particular model and why are they treating it like the red headed step child of their entire product family?

CT
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2016, 01:03 AM   #18
Trustee

Because Cliff, they want the $300 off current rebate when buying a new X70 with 4K to expire, and hope in the meantime frustrated X70 owners buy new Z150's........or maybe that's just crazy. :-)

Paul
Old June 12th, 2016, 05:44 AM   #19
Major Player

It was rather frustrating (to me) to learn earlier this year that the software won't be released until after July 1 since I will be vacationing in Europe starting June 18. I use the X70 as backup for my FS7 in case it malfunctions but especially in situations where a "professional" camera is not welcome (e.g. the Vatican).

With regard to the 60mbs however, i have not had much problem in using X70 clips alongside FS7 clips (shot in SLog3) using the excellent PP setting provided in this forum and using Davinci Resolve for some minor low-midtone-highlight corrections. So far it has worked out fairly well.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2016, 06:23 AM   #20
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Anderegg View Post
Some editing systems can smart render XDCAM, so the exports are instant with cuts only editing...........good for news and things needing speedy turnaround.

Paul
Just to know, which one?
Danilo Sindoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2016, 12:36 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Grass Valley Edius Pro (among others) ;-)
Sauro Scroglieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2016, 08:57 AM   #22
Major Player

3.0 is here!.....Software: PXW-X70 : System Software Update V3.00 (Win + Mac) : Software/Drivers : Canada : Sony Professional
Dan Gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2016, 09:53 AM   #23
Major Player

Good and bad news:

The 3.0 firmware is now out. However, it seems that the US download comes in a folder labeled FS7 instead of X70, although the files included seem to be the correct ones. However, the first person I've read that tried it ended up with a bricked camera. The EU and CA updaters seem to work, but I don't know if anyone has yet tried one of those on a US camera. It may be fine, and the bricked X70 may have been due to another issue, but I'm holding off until we know more.

Well, the US updater does work, but there are still a few (3, I think) folks on the X70 FaceBook group that have bricked cameras after attempting this.

Last edited by David Dixon; June 16th, 2016 at 01:31 PM.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2016, 02:39 PM   #24
Trustee

So, they installed FS7 firmware into the X70, and they are all bricking their cameras?

I'm sorry, but slight LoL............but not really, because a bricked camera with a $500 "Sony let me buy a number to make my camera do stuff" option must be heartbreaking. :-(

Paul
Old June 16th, 2016, 03:54 PM   #25
Major Player

Installed V. 3.0 from Canadian site- didn't brick the camera! So nice to see XAVC 2160/30p 100 (instead of 60) - just in time for my Europe trip!
Old June 16th, 2016, 03:58 PM   #26
Trustee

Sounds like all the bricks were upgrading from v2.0 with 4K option already installed. I just updated my X70 using the Canadian site download Mac dmg installer. Worked fine for me.

SAVE CAMERA PROFILE to SD card and remove SD cards prior to update, then reload your camera profile
settings via menu that you just saved prior to the update.

Paul
Old June 16th, 2016, 04:00 PM   #27
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Weckesser View Post
Installed V. 3.0 from Canadian site- didn't brick the camera! So nice to see XAVC 2160/30p 100 (instead of 60) - just in time for my Europe trip!
You do know that the camera will only ooperate in 28.9"eh"Hz mode now right? :-)

Paul
Old June 16th, 2016, 04:07 PM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Anderegg View Post
Sounds like all the bricks were upgrading from v2.0 with 4K option already installed. I just updated my X70 using the Canadian site download Mac dmg installer. Worked fine for me.

SAVE CAMERA PROFILE to SD card and remove SD cards prior to update, then reload your camera profile
settings via menu that you just saved prior to the update.

Paul
I upgraded from v 2.0 with 4K option. I did save my picture profiles (yours) but forgot to remove the card while upgrading. Reloaded without problems and tweaked it a bit according to the latest profile I could find. Is this your latest for "run and gun" all around shooting?

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-pxw...-settings.html
Old June 16th, 2016, 04:15 PM   #29
Major Player

I was feeling really lucky - I used the US download with the wrong folder name but the right installer file, did not remove the cards, and did it while I had FCPX, Safari, etc. open and was burning a DVD in the background. Worked flawlessly, as did restoring all my settings from the saved Camera Profile.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2016, 04:29 PM   #30
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Weckesser View Post
I upgraded from v 2.0 with 4K option. I did save my picture profiles (yours) but forgot to remove the card while upgrading. Reloaded without problems and tweaked it a bit according to the latest profile I could find. Is this your latest for "run and gun" all around shooting?

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-pxw...-settings.html
I think the SD card thing is just because the camera wants to go into "ttansfer video from A or B select mode when plugged in.

I am back to my original PP4 custom settings, the one referenced above using cinema1 needs a bit too much grading for the contrast and pop I need for LIVE broadcasting, and the LED lighting color issues I deal with. I need to try that PP out on my Z150 see how it works.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds