Importing XAVC 50 mbps into Final Cut Pro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old April 14th, 2016, 06:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Importing XAVC 50 mbps into Final Cut Pro

Hi Folks

Sorry if this has been covered but couldn't find anything definitive. I've downloaded the new FXP as a trial and I thought it supported MXF files. Shot my first footage with the X70 using the 50 Mbps setting and the clips show up in the import window on FCP but they are all greyed out. The 50 mbps on my CX900 and AX100 as MP4 files are showing up fine.

Do I still need to using an external importer to get the files from the X70 into FCP? Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Jon
Old April 14th, 2016, 11:22 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Importing XAVC 50 mbps into Final Cut Pro

Update ProApps codecs. Make sure camera firmware is on 2.0.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2016, 11:39 AM   #3
Major Player

No, you do not need to convert the files to use them in FCPX. However, this only works if all the following is the case:

1. The X70 must have had the 2.0 firmware installed (free, not the same thing as the 4K upgrade)
2. The SDXC card should be re-formatted in the camera after the firmware update (not absolutely positive on this one but it can't hurt)
3. Any footage shot after 1 and 2 have been done will import and edit natively if #4 is also in place
4. And, you must be running the latest version of FCPX and Apple's Pro Codecs
5. Clips shot before the 2.0 firmware was installed will still not import even if 2 and 4 are in place

This native compatibility has been working since June or so for HD clips, and since September for 4K clips. If all the above is correct and you can't import, it's a limitation of the trial version only.

At one time you also had to have the entire folder structure of the memory card in place for all this to work, but that changed at some point. If I drag a single .mxf clip to a random place on my Mac, FCPX can now see/import/edit it natively. And of course, with all this you also have the option to edit native or to "Optimize" (FCPX-speak for "transcode to ProRes 422" which makes the files larger but much easier to edit on slower machines).

Hope this helps.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2016, 04:03 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Great David, thank you. I don't have v 2 of the firmware on the cam. Will get on that tomorrow and see how I go. Many thanks again.
Old April 15th, 2016, 12:23 PM   #5
Regular Crew

If you have existing footage that was shot before you update to the X70 v2 FW, you can always use 'Edit Ready' to convert the MXF's into ProRes. Transcoding in 'Edit Ready' also sorts out the blocking/pixellation issues that still remain if you're using certain NVIDIA cards in your mac.
Paul Hardy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds