Sony AX100: settings for Africa. Flat profile? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old April 28th, 2016, 07:56 AM   #1
Major Player

Sony AX100: what is the latest firmware?

Hi, does anybody know what is the latest firmware of Sony AX100? What is the date of shipping? Thanks

Last edited by Adriano Moroni; April 28th, 2016 at 08:43 AM.
Adriano Moroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2016, 10:31 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Sony AX100: settings for Africa. Flat profile?

Is this what you are looking for ? https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model...d#/downloadTab

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2016, 01:34 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
Yes dear Ron, yes I need this latest firmware. Do you know if I will need to configure the Sony AX100 again with this new update? Currently my camera has 3.0 version and I'm reading with this new version there is a improvement of Autofocus. This is the most imortant thing for me. But will it be true?
I thank you!
Old April 28th, 2016, 01:50 PM   #4
Inner Circle

NO. The auto focus improvement is already in 3.0 that you have and this 3.1 just gives the ability to record onto lower performance SDHC cards. I am not going to upgrade mine as I only use the higher performance SDXC cards and I think you should only use the higher performance cards too. SDHC cards are formatted with FAT 32 that have a file size limit just like AVCHD and if you are only going to use AVCHD then the update is not needed. If you are going to use XAVC-S then I do not see the point of using lower performance cards. Stay with good high performance SDXC U3 cards and then you do not have to worry about any recording resolution or frame rate.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2016, 02:11 PM   #5
Major Player

Yes, that's was my thinking also Ron. I did not see any benefit in installing the new version based on the information provided regarding what the new firmware brought to the table however I thought Sony may have included other unmentionables for liability reasons - they do seem to be acutely paranoid in this regard - and I thought what harm can this do.

So I installed it, turned off the beep again, reset to zero gain and now business as usual. Still a great camera.
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2016, 02:54 PM   #6
Major Player

But why do I read there is a better auto focus performance?

Benefits provided by version 3.00 and included in version 3.10:

Adds XAVC S 4K 100Mbps
Adds capability to capture still pictures from video contents shot by XAVC S
Improves trimming playback
Improves auto focus performance
Focus tracking performance on a person
Adds Direct Copy for XAVC S format support
Adds the following auto focus performance improvements:
Focusing accuracy for main subject
Focus tracking performance on a person
Adds the 1/50 shutter speed
Improves zoom speed during movie recording
Old April 28th, 2016, 03:15 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Benefits provided by version 3.00 and included in version 3.10:

Means they are included in both 3.0 AND 3.1. So the only addition in 3.1 are what is mentioned before this paragraph.

" Improvements over previous versions:

Allows the camera to record XAVCS format video with an SDHC card in addition to SDXC card.
Notes:
When an SDHC memory card is used to record movies in XAVC S format over extended periods of time, the recorded movies will be divided into files of 4 GB, and the divided files can then be integrated into a single file using the PlayMemories Home software
Shooting movies in XAVC S format requires SD Speed Class 10, UHS Speed Class U1, or faster
When recording at 100 Mbps or more, UHS Speed Class U3 is required "

That is all that they mention as to the difference between 3.0 and 3.1. So the focus improvements are in 3.0 which you have and the only addition is recording XAVC-S to SDHC, a lower performance card that I would not uses in the AX100.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds