Advice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old August 15th, 2016, 10:35 AM   #1
Major Player

Advice

I read many threads on this forum and I respect the skills and experience represented here. I have decided to sell my EX1 and go whole hog into 4K. I have a X70 (Tinkerbell) but I will need an additional 4k camera.
There are soooo many cameras on the market now that shoot 4K that I need some guidance. BTW, I consider myself an artist not a technician so forgive my ignorance.

I have had great service from Sony products and I will stay with that brand. I shoot legal videos, commercials, product videos, special events, training videos, background on movie sets, etc. Nothing more serious.

Parameters are: Sony, 4K, SDI/HDMI out while recording to internal cards, SUPER reliable, old or new models

Thanks
Dan Gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2016, 06:30 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Advice

Hi Dan--

I'm also in the market for a new cam, but I don't need 4k at the moment. Barring all arguments about future proofing, my needs can still be met with a good HD camera. (Deliver to DVD/BluRay and the web.)

With that said, I am looking at several Sonys, like the PXWZ150, the NX3, and the HD only NX100. Except legal videos, our shooting needs are about the same.

Budget wise, the NX100 seems to fit the bill at $1699 (at B and H). The PXWZ150 is at $3199 and I think the newest model of the three. I like the 20x zoom lens of the NX3 (priced at $2999), good for wildlife shooting. (But I've read that the digital zooms on both the Z150 and the NX100 are useful in certain circumstances.

Just my two cents. Good luck with your hunting!

Best,
Old August 15th, 2016, 07:15 PM   #3
Trustee

Why not a second, matching X70? If you want a "large sensor" camera, perhaps take a look at the a7S2 or a6300 if video camera controls are not a priority. Personally I think the look of the APSC and full-frame cameras is much better than the look of the RX10 mk1/2/3.

Keep in mind pretty much every Sony camera will shut off the camera LCD when recording 4K to the cards and outputting a signal via HDMI OR SDI. So if you need internal 4K and live video out, you'll need an external monitor.

There are other Pro Sony cams out there, though not sure how much better they would be for you than the X70.
Old August 15th, 2016, 07:50 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Nate--

Don't want to hijack Dan's thread, but personally, I feel more comfortable with an ENG or prosumer style cam.

I've been shooting with a Nikon D610, and I do like the shallow depth of field look, but I feel more comfy with traditional video camera controls.

I want to be able to shoot weddings, short documentaries, commercials, training videos, events and output to the web, and DVD/Blu Rays. So I think I'm more confident using a video camera than a DSLR.

What do you think of the choices I gave to Dan?
Old August 15th, 2016, 11:40 PM   #5
Trustee

What would your budget be for camera and any lenses if you go that route?

The "SDI/HDMI out while recording" will be a toughy. Off-hand if you are OK with outboard recorders, I would get a Z150 with external 4K ProRes recorder, which can also loop out another 4K signal to somewhere else if needed.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2016, 02:03 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Anderegg View Post
Off-hand if you are OK with outboard recorders, I would get a Z150 with external 4K ProRes recorder, which can also loop out another 4K signal to somewhere else if needed.
What's the meaning, If you spend hundreds of dollars just to have recording (by loosing all goodies of internal recording) just buy a better camera. It would be cheaper. (as I said in my other thread, I am too disappointment about that, it's just useless)
Antony Tsioukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2016, 08:12 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Anselmo View Post
Hi Dan--

I'm also in the market for a new cam, but I don't need 4k at the moment. Barring all arguments about future proofing, my needs can still be met with a good HD camera. (Deliver to DVD/BluRay and the web.)

With that said, I am looking at several Sonys, like the PXWZ150, the NX3, and the HD only NX100. Except legal videos, our shooting needs are about the same.

Budget wise, the NX100 seems to fit the bill at $1699 (at B and H). The PXWZ150 is at $3199 and I think the newest model of the three. I like the 20x zoom lens of the NX3 (priced at $2999), good for wildlife shooting. (But I've read that the digital zooms on both the Z150 and the NX100 are useful in certain circumstances.

Best,
Jeff,

I have lost two jobs because they demanded 4K. Of course, I have one 4K camera but I would never go to a shoot without a backup.
Old August 16th, 2016, 08:19 AM   #8
Major Player

Ops, my bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Anselmo View Post
Hi Dan--

Best,
Jeff,

I have lost two jobs because they demanded 4K (duh). Of course I have one 4K camera but I would never go to a shoot without a backup.
Old August 16th, 2016, 09:54 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Anderegg View Post
What would your budget be for camera and any lenses if you go that route?

The "SDI/HDMI out while recording" will be a toughy. Off-hand if you are OK with outboard recorders, I would get a Z150 with external 4K ProRes recorder, which can also loop out another 4K signal to somewhere else if needed.

Paul
Yikes! I didn't realize you lose the flip out monitor while recording 4K?!? Hmmm...

Gonna have more research to do.
Old August 16th, 2016, 10:25 AM   #10
Major Player

Jeff, re. "lose the flip out monitor while recording 4K?!? Hmmm".

My X70 works but which of the other Sony hand held cams also lose the LED in 4K?????
Old August 16th, 2016, 10:37 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Gunn View Post
Jeff, re. "lose the flip out monitor while recording 4K?!? Hmmm".

My X70 works but which of the other Sony hand held cams also lose the LED in 4K?????
Do you have an 4K upgraded Sony PXWX70 camera? If yes, as I understand you can Record in 4K and at the same time you have LCD active and HDMI/SDI output active?

Nice… we are talking about that in other thread and for now these models have the same problem

- Sony PXW-FS5 can’t output at all when 4K recording is enabled
- SONY PXW-Z150 can’t work both Output (SDI/HDMI) and LCD when 4K recording is enabled

Very interesting about X70 because Z150 it’s the replacement of X70+Firmware4K.

EDIT : Reading the firmware upgrade manual here on page 32, looks like that X70 also have the same problem with 4K ("The picture being recorded is not displayed on the viewfinder/LCD panel when [QFHD REC OUTPUT] is set to [EXTERNAL OUTPUT]."}

Last edited by Antony Tsioukas; August 16th, 2016 at 12:39 PM.
Antony Tsioukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2016, 01:31 PM   #12
Major Player

Hey Paul,

What is the next step up to get a Sony with 4K recording and flip out screen that works at same time?
Old August 16th, 2016, 05:15 PM   #13
Trustee

Dan, to clarify, the LCD screen still works when recording internal 4K on all of these Sony cams. What happens is that the onboard LCD goes black as soon as you add in trying to monitor via SDI or HDMI.

Pick any 2 of the following to be active when operating in 4K: Record to card / On-Camera LCD Monitor / On-Camera EVF / External Output

As far as I know, the cheapest camera that does more than 2 of these things at a time is the FS7. I'm unsure about the capabilities of the Z100 and AX1, but those are getting a little long in the tooth.
Old August 16th, 2016, 06:03 PM   #14
Inner Circle

I have a FDR-AX1 and LCD works as normal when outputting to HDMI ( AX1 does not have SDI only the Z100 ). I can select output format ( 3840x2160P, 1920x1080P, 1920x1080i, 720x480P ) as well as select whether camera indications are displayed on HDMI output. I have used this approach to have a 7" monitor while shooting video and recently also record 1920x1080 to a Video Assist while recording 3840x2160 60P to the XQD cards. I am sure the Z100 will also do this from its SDI output but that is 3G where the HDMI is HDMI 2.0 and will output 60P UHD. The FDR-AX1 can do all 4, record to card/LCD on/VF on/external output with format selection, so I assume the Z100 will also do that too. They really are great cameras and I think Sony is missing the boat in not upgrading them with a better sensor.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2016, 04:38 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Haustein View Post
I'm unsure about the capabilities of the Z100 and AX1, but those are getting a little long in the tooth.
In operation manual of Z100 says that it doesn't have this limitation. Instead it can give simultaneously output at the same time in SDI/HDMI (with same resolution), like FS7.

I have start some days ago another thread about this limitation, but we "split" conversation in these 2 threads ;). I post there a list that shows the functionality on 4K recording mode.

Last edited by Antony Tsioukas; August 17th, 2016 at 10:14 AM.
Antony Tsioukas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds