what next after AX53? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old December 19th, 2016, 12:00 PM   #1
New Boot

what next after AX53?

Anyone have any idea if the winter trade show(s) will show a Sony 4K post AX53- in the same class? I kinda like the AX53- but I'm always hesitant to spend money knowing that after I do- something newer/better comes out in the same class- so I'm at least going to wait for the winter 2017 trade show(s). I think the big one is the CES?
Joe
Joseph Zorzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2016, 12:50 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: what next after AX53?

Only Sony knows what's next, actually it's better to buy a camera when it has been out for a while, the price will be lower, you have many user reviews so you have a better idea what you will be getting.
You can see which camera's from Sony are bestsellers, it are the ones that get updated very fast, like the rx100 and a6500, camera's that sell not that good take much longer before there is a update, like the ax100 and most likely also the ax53 and cameras that don't sell well don't get updated anymore, like the nex-ea50, I have a feeling the ax53 will not receive a worthwhile update for at least 1 year, maybe 2.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2016, 12:33 AM   #3
Trustee

Im guessing an XDCAM sister model with XLR top handle and picture profiles is on the way.......
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2016, 02:23 AM   #4
Inner Circle

That might be a possibility but it probably is going to be in a price range above the ax100.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2016, 07:28 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Totten View Post
Im guessing an XDCAM sister model with XLR top handle and picture profiles is on the way.......
I am not so sure they will bother. One can buy a XLR unit to fit in the mi shoe anyway. Sony are stuck a little I think in the 1" segment too with the new Panasonics which outperform, on paper anyway, almost the whole Sony 1" lineup. Sony have no camcorders in the mid price range that do 50/60P UHD since the FDR-AX1 and PXW-Z100 will be outclassed by these Panasonics at lower cost. You need to go to the FS7 to get 50/60P UHD at twice the cost at least. Then if the specs come true the GH5 will have a major impact with internal 10 bit 4:2:2 4K and no record limit. Will be a nice camera for me at least and may see me moving from totally Sony to Panasonic. I love my AX53 it is a great little camera though and a worthy replacement for the NX30U I also own.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2016, 12:31 PM   #6
Major Player

Ever since the hc1 Sony has blown us out of the water with un-imagined goodies. Let's hope they keep it up
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2016, 07:08 AM   #7
Major Player

An AX100 updated version would be great, timecode, user bits, better cleaner encoding and 50/60P UHD.

I'm still of the opinion that Sony needs to improve, overall, its coding strategy, old Cineform in the GoPro makes XAVCS look really crummy, and it's not just the data rate, Gopro max is 45mbs and it is really strong and clean. Just shot some high frame rate FS7 (100fps} looks as dirty as the AX53!!

Just my opinion mind.

Paul :-)
Old December 21st, 2016, 07:27 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I am thinking of replacing my AX100 with a Panasonic FZ2500. Likely a Sony 1" sensor !! But , longer zoom, timecode 4:2:2 8 bit and 4:2:2 10bit at the HDMI if needed, looks like a really nice WiFi app too that controls almost everything from a tablet or phone. I agree Sony really needs to improve. With the GH5 coming out too a lot of the Sony lineup will not compete at least on specs for video.

Sony have the technology, I am sure it is marketing deciding what goes to consumer and how the Pro lineup runs etc. I have 60P UHD on my Sony FDR-AX1 , 3 years old now, why did Sony introduce the FS5 without 60P UHD ? Can only be to protect the FS7 ? They would have got my money for a FS5 if it had 60P UHD. Now I am looking at the Panasonics, HC-X1, GH5 to get my UHD 60P.

Ron Evans.
Ron Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds