Sony FDR AX700 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old November 1st, 2017, 08:49 AM   #1
Major Player

Sony FDR AX700

Hello all,

I wondered if anyone has had there hands on one of these - I was looking for an opinion on the internal HD recording quality and video noise levels compared to the AX100 and the AX53 (which has brilliant HD compared to the AX100)

thanks

Paul :-)
Old November 1st, 2017, 12:10 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Sony FDR AX700

I believe the AX100 had the original 1st generation 1 inch-type sensor model. This would have been the same as the original RX10. I believe this is also what the X70 is based off.

Today, we have the stacked, BSI sensor with onboard RAM and blazing fast read out. This is what the RX10-III, IV, Z150 and Z90 are based on.

When I compared my Z150 to my X70, I remember seeing quite a noise and image improvement with the Z150 vs. X70. The Z150 is noticeably cleaner in higher gain situations. I dont know if this was because of the latest gen sensor or if its because read out and processing is cleaner. I do suspect that Sony's noise reduction on these latest 1 inch-types are really optimized very well. They are acheiving strong noise reduction while still maintaining excellent image detail. Sony has the noise reduction artifacts down to a minimum.

I really expect the Z90, NX80 and Ax700 to all be at least as good as the Z150, if not better.

Sony somehow keeps squeezing more and more and more image out of those little chips. I dunno how they do it!
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2017, 02:13 PM   #3
Trustee

The X70/Z150 1" sensor line noise reduction, is notably absent of vertical banding and striping of the noise at high gain, something which really plagues even the expensive 1/3" 1/2" and 2/3" full size ENG cameras.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2017, 01:14 AM   #4
Major Player

People here go on about the noise difference between the Z150 and the x70 sensors but surely this has a lot to do with the different lenses.
Old November 2nd, 2017, 05:36 AM   #5
Trustee

The X70 and Z150 have the same lens specs. (Aside from the control rings)
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2017, 12:08 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Totten View Post
I believe the AX100 had the original 1st generation 1 inch-type sensor model. This would have been the same as the original RX10. I believe this is also what the X70 is based off.

Today, we have the stacked, BSI sensor with onboard RAM and blazing fast read out. This is what the RX10-III, IV, Z150 and Z90 are based on.

When I compared my Z150 to my X70, I remember seeing quite a noise and image improvement with the Z150 vs. X70. The Z150 is noticeably cleaner in higher gain situations. I dont know if this was because of the latest gen sensor or if its because read out and processing is cleaner. I do suspect that Sony's noise reduction on these latest 1 inch-types are really optimized very well. They are acheiving strong noise reduction while still maintaining excellent image detail. Sony has the noise reduction artifacts down to a minimum.

I really expect the Z90, NX80 and Ax700 to all be at least as good as the Z150, if not better.

Sony somehow keeps squeezing more and more and more image out of those little chips. I dunno how they do it!
Cliff
How about the RX10 ii(2) sensor?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds