Sony AX 53- time for upgrade?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old May 27th, 2018, 04:44 PM   #1
Trustee

Sony AX 53- time for upgrade??

My champion travel cam, the CX 760, is finally on it's last legs.
It seems like the obvious replacement would be the AX 53.
Since it has been on the market for a couple of years already, plus I notice the price is dropping significantly, I'm wondering if we will see an upgrade, or a replacement in the next year or so.
Anyone have any ideas, rumors, speculations??
Thanks
Old May 28th, 2018, 08:01 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Sony AX 53- time for upgrade??

The AX53 as a tourist / home video cam, for the price, is a really great cam (in my biased opinion). What makes it so good is the BOSS steady shot capability to help with those spur-of-the-moment hand-held shots. Optional external mic capability cuts above the lower end hani-cams and cell phones. For the intended use, the weight, size, cost, and features are all trade-offs and the AX53 does quite well.

The newer AX700, NX80, and Z90 all sport better LCD screens, viewfinders, focusing, and an expanded menu over the AX100 so it wouldn’t be a surprise if there is some trickle-down. The new cams are a tad larger than the AX100 perhaps due to the expanded internal computer capability (just a guess). In order to keep the AX53 as a pocket (large pocket) handi-cam one would anticipate the trickle-down intelligent part to be minimal.

From what I’ve seen, the new prices haven’t dropped all that much; however, there are more used models available and those prices have definitely come down. Bought mine new a couple years ago and have got a lot of use out of it, for the same as what you want to use it for plus as a B-roll cam for the AX100 and it cuts really well.

Cams are not the best investment - put the money in the peripheral gear like mics, lenses, and the other stuff. The aX53 works really well with the Røde stereo mic, for example. This is a cam you’ll have for some time and get a lot of use out of it and the cost/year shouldn’t break the bank.

Cher, of Sonny and Cher fame, said “Money is meant to be kept in circulation” if that helps. The AX53 is a really sweet cam and, like I said earlier, I’m admittedly biased so consider the source.

Edit: P.S. The built-in lens cover is really handy - no need to worry about loosing the lens cap or fiddle around putting it on.

Last edited by John Nantz; May 28th, 2018 at 10:47 PM. Reason: deleted redundant word
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2018, 06:09 AM   #3
Go Cycle

I agree. Owning the X-70, AX-700 and AX-53, I use the 53 for vacation. It is perhaps the best home vacation camera and the 4K is nothing to sneeze at.

With that said, when the AX-53 picture is compared to the other cameras, one will see less clarity. The chip on the 53 is smaller thus less low light capability.

Each camera has a purpose. Personally, I would try and find a good quality AX-100 unless the smaller compact size of the AX-53 is needed for travel or just a B-roll camera.
Old May 29th, 2018, 08:57 AM   #4
Regular Crew

The AX50 series of regional models have been very quietly replaced with the FDR-AX60 (with viewfinder) FDR-AX45 (No viewfinder) but only in Japan at the moment. just after CES in January this year.
Very little difference, has a new highlight moviemaker mode, no idea if the the 'internals' have a faster processor or not, so guess this is all you can expect to see on a replacement US/UK model eventually.
Paul Rickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2018, 01:51 PM   #5
Trustee

Interesting indeed.
This is the first I have heard of the AX 60.
Looking at the specs, I can't really spot any differences from the AX 53.
Old March 1st, 2019, 07:24 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I see that shops offer now an AX53/B - is this maybe the AX60 for USA/Europe??

N.F.
Nick Fotis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds