Something other than PXW-Z280. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old August 6th, 2020, 11:46 AM   #1
Trustee

Something other than PXW-Z280.

Hi, I was thinking of downsizing my camera from a PMW-320 and was looking at the Z280.

I don't think I want to spend the price of the Z280 plus batteries inc maybe the mini v-lock batteries.

What other camera do you think might come close to the quality of the Z280 and for low light recording as well.

I record weddings BTW.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Anthony McErlean; August 6th, 2020 at 11:50 AM. Reason: add to title
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2020, 01:18 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Something other than PXW-Z280.

How important is sound capture? Also built in NDs?

Only reason I ask is the new Sony A7SIII seems to be the small, highly capable camera that everyone is talking about at the moment...assuming you want something this small that you can actually use without the risk of overheating/waiting hours for it to cool down (such as the new Canon R5 and R6, official information and from most of the recent reviews too). With the add on Sony XLR unit on top and a variable ND filter on the front of some Sony lenses it might be an option to consider?

Personally, I'd not want a camera of this kind of form factor for run-n-gun/event video type work (I don't do weddings, but I imagine it's similar). I use my ageing PMW-300 for that type of work - still produces great HD images and the viewfinder is brilliant. But in 2020, I'd never buy a camera that wasn't 4K and 4.2.2.

The A7SIII would be a good gimbal cam too - I'll consider it for that alone if business picks up soon :-)

Face, and in particular eye tracking, auto focus seems to be amazingly accurate and usable on the Sony A7SIII. I'm old school and (up to now) have not liked relying on "those things". But the reality is that the focusing technology in this (and similar cameras from Canon) is now at the point where it would hit focus on moving targets much more accurately than my eyes and manual focus coordination could manage.

Lots of review videos flying around for the Sony A7SIII. Maybe try and hire one and see what you think?
Old August 7th, 2020, 05:45 AM   #3
Regular Crew

How important is auto focus. If it isn't a major issue, then it may be worth looking at the Panasonic CX350. I have an FS7 I, FS5 II and am finding that I use the Panasonic more frequently than either of those. I uploaded to YouTube a short test I did, all auto focus, a while ago:

Sensitivity appears to be comparable or better than my other cameras.
Geoff Addis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2020, 08:44 AM   #4
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean View Post
What other camera do you think might come close to the quality of the Z280 and for low light recording as well.
None will.
Stop being cheap, and go buy the Z280. You know it is the right camera for your needs. The difference in price between the Z280 and the wrong camera will be insignificant when you amortize it over the life of the camera. The Z280 will allow you to work better, faster, and open doors to work that might not even be possible with other cameras. I've already paid for my Z280 just from stock footage I shot with the Z280. And someday when you go to sell your Z280 for a newer and even better camera, I guarantee you that the Z280 is going to hold its value better than the other cameras.

Why sell yourself short and work with substandard tools just to save a few pennies? If you are a professional who makes money with the tools he owns, buy the right tools.
Old August 7th, 2020, 09:31 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
None will.
Stop being cheap, and go buy the Z280.
That's put me in my box LOL

Yes Doug, its the right camera alright and from what I've read on the forums and seen the clips you have posted.
All I need is the £££

[QUOTE=Andy Wilkinson;1960480
Personally, I'd not want a camera of this kind of form factor for run-n-gun/event video type work
Maybe try and hire one and see what you think?[/QUOTE]

Hi Andy, thanks for the info on the A7S111. Like you, I'd prefer a camcorder too but i thought I would ring CVP and they told me it could be Sept or even Oct before its in stock.

Thanks Geoff, those pictures look good, well, with my ageing eyes and every thing else :) auto focus would be nice.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by Anthony McErlean; August 7th, 2020 at 11:15 AM.
Old December 28th, 2020, 06:46 AM   #6
Trustee

Hi, all,

I'm still thinking of buying the PXW-Z280 in the new year.
Is this camera still a good buy? or do you know if Sony is bringing something out to replace it?

Thanks in advance.
Old December 28th, 2020, 10:29 AM   #7
Major Player

Hey Doug, are you sure you paid for your Z280 using your Z280 or was it your camera eye that made the money.
Old December 28th, 2020, 10:37 AM   #8
Vortex Media

A little of both I guess, but the Z280 has allowed me to shoot things that would have been nearly impossible -- or a lot harder if I didn't have it. In fact, I've got an upcoming one-day documentary I need to shoot in the Everglades, with a lot of getting on and off an airboat, three people miked, and possibly trudging through water, and I I'm probably going to take the Z280 rather than my Z750 just because it is so much less to deal with (and put at risk) in that kind of environment. The Z280 is a great little camera.
Old December 28th, 2020, 10:43 AM   #9
Trustee

So, the Z280 is still worth buying? :)
Old December 28th, 2020, 01:58 PM   #10
Vortex Media

Absolutely! There is no other camera that matches the capabilities and performance of the Z280. It is like a Z750 in a smaller body and with a 17x lens built in. Nothing else comes close from Sony or any other manufacturer.

Someone else mentioned the Panasonic CX350 and I have spent some time with that camera. It was one of the cameras that we tested for use on Eco-Challenge Fiji for MGM/Amazon/Mark Burnett Productions last year. The CX350 was quickly eliminated from contention due to the subpar picture quality and performance in low light. We ended up using 25 Z280's, 20 Z90's, and 25 Panasonic Variacam LT's as the primary camera. The Z280 performed beautifully under those harsh conditions and I could barely tell them apart from the Varicams in the final edit.
Old December 28th, 2020, 06:06 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
Absolutely! There is no other camera that matches the capabilities and performance of the Z280.
Well, that says it all and from the master into the bargain :)

Thank you once again Doug.
Old December 29th, 2020, 08:24 AM   #12
Trustee

Have to agree with Doug. The Z280 punches well above its weight. Got all the codecs, all the audio channels and if you can find some of the now discontinued XQD to SxS adapters you can use the cheaper XQD cards for all formats. Though you most likely have SxS cards already. Whether what you have is fast enough for the 600Mbps UHD XAVC-I frame codec on the z280 is something you will have to investigate I guess.

Chris Young
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2020, 07:00 PM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Young View Post
if you can find some of the now discontinued XQD to SxS adapters you can use the cheaper XQD cards for all formats.
Thank you too Chris for your input, yes, I do have SxS cards, I record on these all the time but not at all familiar with XQD cards, I didn't know there was such a thing, never needing them before, so ,are these cards and adapters as reliable as the SxS cards?

Thank you.

Last edited by Anthony McErlean; December 29th, 2020 at 07:35 PM.
Old December 29th, 2020, 07:37 PM   #14
Trustee

XQD cards are the cards used by the FS7 which basically runs the same codecs as the Z280.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search/BI/2855/KBID/3801

The hard to find ExpressCard Adaptor for XQD Memory Card

https://www.sony.com.au/electronics/...y-cards/qdaex1

If you can find a couple worth the effort!

Chris Young

EDIT: Anthony. In fact the last two I picked up were from your part of the world. Well a bit south of you. Camerakit in Dublin in fact. Check with Colm Egan if they still have stock. He was very helpful!

http://camerakit.ie/product/sony-xqd...-card-adapter/

Last edited by Christopher Young; December 29th, 2020 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Added info
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2020, 03:31 AM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Young View Post
Check with Colm Egan if they still have stock. He was very helpful!

Sony XQD EXPRESS CARD ADAPTER – Camerakit.ie
Thanks Chris, thanks for the links. Small world, I used to buy video tapes from Colm Egan back in the day, I hopefully contact him on Monday.

Thank you for your help.

EDIT. Not knowing anything about XQD cards, could you kindly provide a link for a suitable card to fit that adaptor. Thank you.

Last edited by Anthony McErlean; December 30th, 2020 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Ask for Link.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds