Which to get Sony FDR-AX or Panasonic HC-VXF1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old October 8th, 2023, 04:25 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Which to get Sony FDR-AX or Panasonic HC-VXF1

Hi,

I haven't been on here is a while and Looking to get get a new camera as in a Sony FDR-AX43, 53 or Panasonic HC-VXF1.

From what I can see the 43 is the same as the 53 but without viewfinder. I could be wrong and a few seem to have problems with the FDR-AX53.

I have the Sony HDR-Z5 which is just about done. I also have HDR-CX625 which I have used for videoing some show as in school musicals and other show as well. I have some extra batteries for the CX625. I may consider other cameras as well. The main reason I was thinking of a new camera is 4K as it would be handy for a crop zoom in places where a close up would be good. The camera would be on a tripod a lot of the times and I may use if an odd time in the hand, this is where I like the gimble in the camera as it less to take with me.

Having the option to plug in an external mic or audio from a mixing desk is a plus.
Tony McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2023, 06:33 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Which to get Sony FDR-AX or Panasonic HC-VXF1

Hi Tony,
There are a few scenerios to discuss:

First off, I haven’t posted in a while either, primarily with “no thanks to Covid”.

Clarification question: Since you mentioned a “new” camera, does that mean new and unopened box, or ‘new to you’ and it is ‘open box’ (could possibly be returned item) or previously used?

Just commenting about the Sony “eco system” as can’t address any other.
The choice between a viewfinder availability and not will depend on the type of use and how well one can shoot hand-held. Since it was indicated “The camera would be on a tripod a lot of the times” then it would seem the LCD screen would suffice, provided, …..that the “odd time in the hand” shot may be good enough.

Important Trade-Off: If those “odd time in the hand” shots are important enough that some movement is not acceptable, then there is a trade-off, and that becomes a buyers decision. There are some reasonable high-budget movies that have hand-held shots that have some shakier video (than what I’d do) but everybody is different; some are steadier than others.

One consideration for the AX43/53 is the battery and charger is PROBABLY the same as with the CX-625 (haven’t checked). The other cables are ‘probably’ also useable, although the instructions typically say they are ‘only for this camera’, or words to that effect. I have my cables marked and follow the cam instructions.

The next step up would be the AX700 (not mentioned). This is probably a budget-buster (but thought I’d mention it anyway), has no gimbal, but uses the same battery system, and has the same type but more extensive menu system than the cams mentioned previously. The filter size is larger but an adapter can be used on the the other cams to accommodate the larger AX700 filter size.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2023, 02:20 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: Which to get Sony FDR-AX or Panasonic HC-VXF1

Hi John,

Thank you for your reply and sorry for not replying sooner.

To answer your question on what I mean by "new" and it is new and unopen box. I have looked at the second hand market here and people and some places that sell cameras are looking very close to what I can get it for new and unopen box so it make no point buying second hand.

I have looked at the AX700 more after you mentioned it and it a nice camera but a bit out of budget at the moment.

I was also thinking the way your thinking that any thing that I have should work on which ever Sony I get. I do have the external battery charger from Sony that will charge the V series batteries even though it not marked on my charger. I got this from a Sony repair tech and I got them cheaper than the same model but with the V series listed on it. It works fine and I have no problems charging the V series batteries on it.

Looks like it going to be a ether the AX43 or the AX53

Thank you
Tony McGuire is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds