Sony A57 for video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old November 7th, 2012, 07:55 AM   #1
Space Hipster

Sony A57 for video

Has anyone used the A57 for shooting video? Does it overheat?
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2012, 12:03 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Sony A57 for video

Not so far, but only brief testing,

I would expect it to do OK, as the A65 is able to free run without overheat in more extensive tests. Body shell is identical, I would expect guts are nearly identical, aside from sensor and minor tweaks.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2012, 07:07 PM   #3
Major Player

I have an A57, it overheats if used in direct sunlight on a hot day. You'll still get 15-30 minutes though.
Matt Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2012, 03:11 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Matt - just curious as to how "hot" was "hot". Direct sunlight is always tough, since the black body can heat up just from the black color!

Had the 65 free run on tripod for a solid 20 minutes in sun and fairly warm day (*think* I had SS off... which improves heat issues), no problem. Also from another thread here (on the NEX overheat problems), there apparently may be an issue with what memory card you use...

So far, I haven't had any issues with the larger A65/57 body style and heat, but want to keep it that way! Like the image quality, and the overall handling, just need to use these more to get to where the controls are instinctive!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR