Sony Alpha SLT A99 vs. HDR CX760V Comparison of Videos at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old December 22nd, 2012, 09:07 PM   #1
Trustee

Sony Alpha SLT A99 vs. HDR CX760V Comparison of Videos

Here are two videos shot under similar conditions by the A99 and a camcorder, both using the exact same compression scheme, bitrate, frame rate and wrapper (AVCHD 2.0): sideline at indoor basketball games, and handheld. The Alpha A99, was using a Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM lens; the Handycam has a Carl ZeissŪ Vario-Sonnar T* 26.4-260mm f1.8-3.4 lens (yes, both have top Carl Zeiss lenses).

Here is the link to the video from the A99 as part of a DPReview review, by a pro (not me). It is a clip straight from the camera:

You can download the original from here to watch it on your best viewing device:

Sony Alpha SLT-A99 In-Depth Review: Digital Photography Review

Here is the corresponding clip, by me, using the CX760V - different arena, same conditions (I bet the arena here is dimmer by far than the Huskies one):

Also straight from the camera, and you can also download the original, from the linked Vimeo site in this case.

It seems obvious which clip has better color, lower noise, higher resolution and is more pleasing (the stereo sound quality from each is comparable). The files have exactly the same specs - I can combine them without re-encoding.

Here is another video comparison, again using the same setting and subject - toy trains in action indoors in dim light - but shot with the A99 by the DPReview pro and then another camcorder (sony HDR GW77), shot by me:

Here is the DPReview video from the A99:

https://vimeo.com/album/2181762/video/55320854

Again, this is from an original camera clip.

You can download that DPReview video from here:

Here is a comparable clip (the first part) - again an indoor train set in dim light taken with a Sony HDR GW77:

You can downlaod the original from that site too.

It again seems obvious which has higher resolution and better color.
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2012, 10:19 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Sony Alpha SLT A99 vs. HDR CX760V Comparison of Videos

Thanks, Mark. In case you haven't seen the discussion in the Sony section, the A99 is a known video loser. There's a whole thread on it called "A99 a major video disappointment".

Cheers,

Bill
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2012, 10:55 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks, Bill. Useful link.

But most of the comparisons I have seen are with other big-sensor cameras, which are also soft (except the superior GH2/3), not with camcorders. Also, the video tests I have seen are almost all static shots, not shots with motion and dynamic action (which is most of thr point of video).
Old December 31st, 2012, 08:30 AM   #4
Major Player

I"m a regular contributor to the A99 crappy video threads because I've searched high and low for anything to get video that's not soft out of my A99's - yes I've had two. I stuck with static shots because I kept getting all kinds of moronic replies from Sony fanboy's that said ridiculous things like I need to turn steadyshot off, no camera movement, wrong aperture, wrong shutter speed, incorrect focus and so on.

So I planted the camera on a tripod, pointed it at a few static scenes, shot 24p with 1/50 shutter, aperture at F8, and tinkered with contrast/sharpness/saturation settings on the standard and neutral profile, shot a manually focused still using focus magnify to confirm critical focus before shooting video and I still got more moronic comments like my white balance having an effect on sharpness. I can't imagine how stupid the comments would get if there had been any camera movement.

I don't know what vacuum I'm supposed to shoot in, but I've never had issues like this with any other camera - including the EM5 I used as a comparison. I bought the A99 to actually use steadyshot while shooting video, not to turn it off because the video gets softer with it engaged. I never saw a difference in sharpness with my 5d2 when I had the IS engaged on my 24-105 lens.

There's an issue with how the A99 processes its video. I don't know if its compression, or the processor inside the camera or what, but everything is soft. I've watched a lot of A99 videos and haven't seen anyone produce anything that's sharp outside of shallow DOF beauty shots. If you want to get a basic wide shot, its beyond the A99's capability. I just got a return authorization for my second A99. I'm now looking at a 5d3 or something else.

I still have one more A99/EM5 comparison video to post. My little Olympus absolutely kills the A99, much sharper with the 5-axis IBIS on - and I used a cheap kit lens vs the Zeiss zoom on the A99. Its a great stills camera with DR to die for, but its laughably bad as a video camera since my Nex5n and my EM5 both outclass the A99's video.
Chris Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 05:53 PM   #5

1st video says Sorry, of this video has not given you permission to embed it on this domain.

This is a Vimeo Plus feature.
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 06:17 PM   #6
Trustee

"1st video says Sorry, of this video has not given you permission to embed it on this domain."

I am the OP. When I provided the link, anyone could view thw DPReview video up on Vimeo. DPReview has eidently removed the public's ability to view the video clip that way.

In defending the lousy quality of the unedited clip, some people resorted to saying the DPReview reviewre was incompetent, so maybe they are sensitive.

In any case, here is the page where you vcan iew and download the original A99 clip to compare with the CX760V clip:

Old January 23rd, 2013, 02:31 AM   #7
Major Player

I've been having my own nightmares involving the a99. Squeezing some good footage out of it with the ninja but as this is a two people in a cabin film I haven't had to deal with a lot of wide shots. But tonight the ninja conked out and I have no idea how long it will take to repair. I know this is the dumbest question ever but out of desperation I have to ask: is there any way to record from a99 directly into a computer, say right into final cut? I know there isn't but if I didn't ask and it turned out there was...
Betsy Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR