New Sony A7s to shoot 4K video - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old April 11th, 2014, 01:09 PM   #46
Inner Circle

Re: New Sony A7s to shoot 4K video

Even 204000 iso looks usable with a bit of neatvideo treatment, I guess at that point the camera sees a lot more then what your own eyes can perceive. I want one!
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 02:03 PM   #47
Trustee

It's funny, when I try to capture a dark scene, I try to capture it as my eyes see it. I really don't see the point in making a night scene look like daylight. But then again I've never understood the obsession on having a camera that can do this.

A clean shot whose brightness is indicative of what you see? That I can see (no pun intended). But making daylight from night? Not so much.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 02:50 PM   #48
Regular Crew

I guess I get the "oh wow" on the high ISO but who wants to shoot anything in light that bad. The jello effect is pretty bad.
Frank Grygier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 04:20 PM   #49
Regular Crew

About the RS (is posted this also in EosHD):

I noticed also RS when playing with the camera. The video makes the A7s look unusable. But just for your info, attached to this A7s was a 70-200mm lens and it was fully zoomed in on the video above. So who is doing a pan like this at 200mm? I don't. Yes for sports it is the wrong camera, but for filming under controlled situations to do a real estate video for example, this is the perfect camera. I have no idea how the rs will look at a GH4 at 200mm. Maybe it will not be that extrem but it will be there for sure!

On the other side when I compared the noise level between the A7s and the Gh4 there was a difference like night and day between both cameras ;-)
Swen Goebbels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 04:42 PM   #50
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Even 204000 iso looks usable with a bit of neatvideo treatment, I guess at that point the camera sees a lot more then what your own eyes can perceive. I want one!
What's potentially really cool for me is with this camera is I can get a usable footage with two of my battery operated k4000s led lights, since I'm a one man show this can really help in certain circumstances. Likewise I could show up at a location with just the camera and the same two led lights and presto, I'm ready to go since I can rely on the camera to get usable footage. No cables, no mass of lighting gear, just two light stands, two k4000 bi-colors and the A7s. I definitely want one, but it all comes down to price. At $3000 I'll probably wait, at $2000 I'll buy, in between I'm not really sure yet.
Peter Siamidis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 06:32 PM   #51
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Grygier View Post
I guess I get the "oh wow" on the high ISO but who wants to shoot anything in light that bad.
News crews for one. There are occasions where the use of ANY lighting is out of the question, and if there is a least a little light, this may be an acceptable (and much cheaper!!) alternative to an image intensifier.

Wildlife may be another instance.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2014, 01:39 AM   #52
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
But then again I've never understood the obsession on having a camera that can do this.
In my line of work (weddings) these ridiculously high "clean" iso's are all that matter actually, I very often end up in venues that are candle lit only, it's not a matter of shooting it at a iso so it looks like daytime, it's all about selecting a higher f-stop like f4 or even 5.6 on your camera to have a deeper dof to work with and yet still be able to expose the scene like you would see it with your eyes, it's all about have that playing room with your dof and exposure.

At weddings you don't "light" a scene, you take it as it comes, most dslr's that can do 6400 iso have no other option then shoot at f1.4 when it gets too dark, having the luxury to shoot in the ranges of 100 or 200 thousand iso opens up many more possibilities
Old April 12th, 2014, 01:45 AM   #53
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swen Goebbels View Post
I noticed also RS when playing with the camera. The video makes the A7s look unusable.
The ax100 has the same problem, yet I only have seen the issue once where there was faster panning when following a moving train. If you know here the RS can ruin your image you can shoot accordingly and nobody will ever notice. Just don't use it as a sports camera :)
Old April 12th, 2014, 08:13 AM   #54
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Heath View Post
News crews for one. There are occasions where the use of ANY lighting is out of the question, and if there is a least a little light, this may be an acceptable (and much cheaper!!) alternative to an image intensifier.

Wildlife may be another instance.
OK I get it. I understand event shooters can use the extra stops. I would prefer less RS than night vision.
Frank Grygier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2014, 08:35 AM   #55
Major Player

Event shooters will be hampered by the 30 minutes video limit, even outside of the EU.
Philip Lipetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 10:32 PM   #56
Major Player

Uh oh. There is a 30 minute limit in the US? Where did you see this?
Steve Kimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 10:58 PM   #57
Major Player

"Event shooters will be hampered by the 30 minutes video limit, even outside of the EU"

Specs on the Sony US website do not mention any recording time limit at all.
(check out 1st link in this thread).

Cheers,

Vaughan
Vaughan Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 12:07 PM   #58
Major Player

The 30 minute limit is in a NAB video interview with Sony. Same limit in RX10. But some other people got conflicting information. This really needs clearing up from official sources.

Last edited by Philip Lipetz; April 14th, 2014 at 04:19 PM.
Philip Lipetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 04:00 PM   #59
Major Player

This new high-sensitivity full-frame camera opens up some interesting possibilities.Take the poor indoor sports photographer (or videographer) who has a full-frame sensor camera and needs to carry a tripod and a $11,500 Canon 400 mm f2.8 lens to be able to shoot at a decent shutter speed. If this camera gives you an additional three full stops of light, he can suddenly switch to a $1400 Canon 400 mm f5.6 lens and still have one additional stop of shutter speed. Perhaps someone will make a few very small light telephoto lenses with a maximum aperture of f 8 at a much lower price. The resolution across the lens field should be excellent at such a small aperture. Such a lens would be great for birds in flight or other outdoor photography as well, and for video you have the additional benefit of much less demanding focus. For situations when you wanted a shallow depth-of-field, a variable Gaussian blur could be added in post. I see a real future for this sensor and others like it.
Mark Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 09:46 PM   #60
Major Player

Not so long ago I had read that exmor sensor technology was restricted to small sizes. This is the first camera to utilize it for FF and the benefits are eye popping.
So far the usable iso was 4-5 stops below the highest value. If the same rule applies that means that 13200 iso could be production material which is amazing.
The only thing that remains to be seen is the dynamic range. Usually so dimly lit scenes have very high contrast, so in order to shoot with such high iso, you also need all the dynamic range you can get.
Definitely will retire a lot of flashguns...
Emmanuel Plakiotis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR