A7s or GH4 - which for you? - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old July 28th, 2014, 12:22 PM   #181
Regular Crew

Re: A7s or GH4 - which for you?

Here is a same day edit that utilized 2 C100s and an A7s with EF glass. Only had 2 hours after the ceremony to put the edit together so some of the colors are a bit off. The A7s produces more green in its footage and as a result, I'd remove more green from the highlights in the future.

No stabilization was used for the A7s except for a monopod and IS on the glass.

Overall my only complaint with the camera (as a B camera) is the lackluster battery life.

Film Convert 2 and Impulz were used to color correct and grade.
Old July 28th, 2014, 03:04 PM   #182
Inner Circle

Nice clip Edward, how long can you shoot with one battery on the a7s?

I guess the very shallow dof shots in the video where from the a7s?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2014, 04:10 PM   #183
Regular Crew

One battery lasts 1.5 to 2 hours, more towards 1.5.

The a7s was used for most of the bridal prep minus the sliding shot of the groom and the outdoor/staircase shots.

It was also used during the ceremony for reaction shots, center, and the exit.

The only shots I was really displeased with were the center aisle shot. Then again the entire background were sunny windows. Maybe using slog 2 might have been better for highlight recovery.

All shots were taken with Kholis pp6 picture profile.
Old July 28th, 2014, 04:20 PM   #184
Inner Circle

That's quite good battery life or where you expecting better? with my rx10 I often can't get passed 45 minutes on one battery and it takes ages to load the battery in camera.
Old July 28th, 2014, 04:50 PM   #185
Regular Crew

Yeah the gh4 battery lasts muuuuuch longer and 1 a7s battery takes over 2 hours to charge.
Old July 29th, 2014, 02:05 AM   #186
Inner Circle

Yes, the gh4 batterylife is exceptional, I do have to say that if you use stabilised lenses the battery drains a lot quicker but if you stick with non stabilised the battery just keeps on going.
Old July 29th, 2014, 03:04 AM   #187
Inner Circle

The A7s comes with 2 batteries though :)
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 03:12 AM   #188
Inner Circle

1,5 hour is really not bad, 2 of these batteries should get you through an entire weddingday if you have a second camera as well.
Old July 29th, 2014, 01:16 PM   #189
Major Player

Yea, shot a wedding yesterday on two batteries. Had to put the first one on charge again at reception venue as precaution, but didn't actually need to use it. Two batteries was enough - but i will probably buy a third just for the peace of mind.
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 01:18 PM   #190
Major Player

I have a friend in Nashville who was able to get a brand new Sony a7S for $2,249. Not a bad discount! Apparently they will price match Ebay prices. Saved $250 by negotiating with them. Something to keep in mind if you're looking at buying. Always negotiate!
Old July 29th, 2014, 04:32 PM   #191
Major Player

Some low light high ISO shots I put together from my A7S.

Old August 3rd, 2014, 04:10 AM   #192
Inner Circle

Can any A7s owner confirm an issue I'm having before I send mine back as faulty please (although it may be the lens adapter - not sure)

In manual mode with a fixed ISO (not auto) cycle up and down through the apertures - all is ok. Now press record and do the same - do you experience white flashes as the aperture opens up? Don't know if this is a fault or just the way it is with this camera - It happens with Metabones smart adapter and EF lenses but not with NEX lenses and camera in APS-C mode - Clive what adapter are you using and do you experience this?

Pete

Last edited by Peter Rush; August 3rd, 2014 at 06:03 AM.
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2014, 10:51 AM   #193
Major Player

Peter, just tried it and yes, I'm getting white flashes when the aperture is widening. Not when narrowing.

Would you normally change aperture whilst recording though? I know I wouldn't... not unless necessary. And if it were the case of light drastically changing mid clip - would ISO not be a better way to brighten the scene (theres no shortage of it! ;-) )
Old August 3rd, 2014, 12:07 PM   #194
Inner Circle

It's not the amount of iso you can use that will make the difference, it's how smooth the transition is. I guess the best way to have a smooth aperture change is to use a adapter that has a clickless aperture ring. I wish all dslr's could handle iso and aperture changes the way my rx10 can, that would be a big improvement.
Old August 4th, 2014, 01:48 AM   #195
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive McLaughlin View Post
Peter, just tried it and yes, I'm getting white flashes when the aperture is widening. Not when narrowing.

Would you normally change aperture whilst recording though? I know I wouldn't... not unless necessary. And if it were the case of light drastically changing mid clip - would ISO not be a better way to brighten the scene (theres no shortage of it! ;-) )
I guess unless I'm going for a particular DOF then I do quite often use the iris to control exposure - a throwback to old school camcorders that had 3 fixed gain positions (low/mid/hi) but also I've been using the 5D3 for the last year and have kept my ISO settings to multiples of 160 for a cleaner image (apparently the 5D introduces noise for 'inbetween' ISO settings) so I never just scrolled through ISO to adjust exposure.

Anyway I emailed Metabones and problem solved - I just needed to turn on advanced mode for the adapter - happy days!
Peter Rush is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR